I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)

Start from the beginning

He forgot the old man had a portrait and was able to move around. Some days he wouldn't shut the hell up and other times he wouldn't speak (or even appear, nonetheless) for several hours at a time.

"Bloody bastard. Scared me." Severus grits under his breath, sitting down to fully bend the knees that had jumped up in terror.

"Sorry, my boy. Didn't mean to frighten you."

Whatever.

"We need to talk." Dumbledore states, clasping his hands in his lap.

Severus rolls his eyes, followed by a low grumble escaping his throat
"I always do love our conversations."

"Severus," Dumbledore starts, ignoring the other man's comment "I know you've dealt with much beyond what you had originally expected, but I say this because of it: You need to seal your position. You are on your own now. It's too dangerous for you to be seen with any contacts." Dumbledore sighs wearily, as though he was the one suffering.

Severus whips his head to the side, his fingernails digging into the wood arms of the chair.

"What the hell do you mean 'on your own'??" Severus growls, eyes widening before narrowing into angry slits.

Dumbledore is quick to correct himself: "I did not mean it in the way that you are thinking- I am not talking about myself. I will still be of aid.... I am talking about another person. One who naturally means more to you than I do."

Severus' eyes lose their slim shape as his pale face forms into one of realization. Dumbledore was talking about you.

As if he had been waiting for the younger man to understand what he was talking about, Dumbledore continues:
"It is too dangerous, Severus. I know you care about them, but you cannot. Absolutely, cannot, jeopardize both of your safety. If they are seen getting even remotely an extra amount of care or attention, horrific things could happen. Other students or the Carrows could see, as well as the Dark Lord."

Severus closes his eyes with a pained exhale, slouching back into his chair. The man takes his middle finger and lightly swipes it across his bottom lip, looking like a philosopher in thought. It was a common anxious habit of his, as well as toying with the buttons on the edge of his sleeves.

Severus imagines your face behind his closed eyelids. A smile is across your face and your lips are moving as you are saying something that had made Severus laugh in the memory.

How dare Dumbledore say something like this? Firstly, asking him to do all of this crock of shit- a list so long that he'd never be able to remember every deed if he had to write it down. Now, asking him to depart from- basically, his child??

Severus lips curl in anger as he rigidly turns back to the now silent man in the portrait.

"How dare yo-" Severus snarls, only to be cut off by the older man.

"Severus, think of this for long term.. Imagine what could happen to them." Dumbledore calmly repeats his previous point.

Severus' hands ball into fists as his lips drawl into tight lines. He harshly brings his hands down on the arms of his chair, ignoring the pain that reverberates up his arms.