In•sub•or•din•a•tion (?)

Start from the beginning

A scoff is heard.

"I understand, Minerva."

Pause.

"Severus?"

Pause.

"Mm."

"What do you mean, Mm?"

"To be quite honest, Minerva, I do not know about you...However, her tone seems to be the least of my concerns. Have you seen her attendance rate?" Snape

Nobody speaks.

"I do not believe she has visited Madam Pomfrey? Surely she couldn't be sick." McGonagall.

"No. She isn't physically ill, Minerva." Snape.

A long silence occurs and the frog in your throat leaps, your heart pounding in your chest.

Surely she couldn't have such little faith in you?

Of course nobody can understand what I go through because they aren't me.. but how can I explain to them what's happening to me if I don't know or understand what the hell is happening to me?..

I didn't mean to be rude. I'm just so stressed and I can't focus... I...

You blink back tears and turn around, rushing down the hall and away from the adults and their secret meeting.

---

The next day

You sit on a smooth stone bench that other looks a side of the forbidden forest.

The cool autumn wind nips at your cheeks, causing a dull sting. At least it is something else to keep your mind occupied.

You had a panic attack in Professor Snape's room after knocking something over due to your shaky hands.

Your stomach dropped when he looked up from his desk, his jaw clenching. Choking on your breath, you had started to quietly apologize. Suddenly, your palms were coated in the disgusting texture of sweat, the clothes you wore began to suffocate you, amongst other things.

It was now the end of the school day and you are sat outside in the cold fall air, doing nothing except stare at the trees and occasionally wipe snot away with an old handkerchief.

"I thought I might find you here." A deep voice utters, dead grass crunching under the weight of footsteps.

Oh great, here comes the lecture- considering he couldn't give it before you darted out of the room.

You can feel the warmth of his presence against the cold air, him hovering a fair distance away from you.

For a moment he stands there and you simply wait.

With almost no sound, he walks around you and sits on the cold bench, the many layers of his black cloak likely adding a layer of warmth between the freezing marble.

"No wonder your nose is running. You're going to catch death out here, Y/L/N. It's too cold to not wear a jumper." He states in his usual monotone voice, despite the words sounding of warning or scolding.

"I'm fine." You whisper, shoulders too frozen to shrug.

You hadn't even heard the rattle of fabric, his movements so silent that you hadn't even noticed he'd taken off his fleece cloak until it lay upon your shoulders.

"Now you'll get cold, Professor.

"Why are you out here?" He asks, ignoring your previous statement.

You stay quiet for a moment.

"It's nice." You lowly say, subconsciously pulling the cloak tighter.

"The trees are dying, the grass is frozen, and I am starting to lose feeling in my rear. It is, in fact, not nice." He flatly states, his head now turned to you.

"I've been stressed." You state, stopping at that.

Another beat of silence goes by.

"I didn't come out here to listen to the birds chirp or talk about the weather. I'm waiting." Professor Snape finally states, turning his head back forward.

That must be his 'go-ahead- for you to begin your trauma-dumping. . .

---

After going through every part of your mind and what has been attacking it, you two are left in a long few minutes of silence.

"What's wrong with me?..." You whisper, turning to him.

He slowly turns his gaze back to you, opening his mouth and then closing it.

"You're a Gryffindor."

Your face remains blank, until you burst into a fit of giggles at his dry humor.

A twinge of something dances across his dark brown eyes before he directs them away.

He clears his throat and then straightens his posture with a sigh.

"I am by no means, a doctor, Ms. Y/L/N. However, what you are suffering from is without a doubt, anxiety..." he pauses "However, that is not likely just the case. It could be sensory processing disorder, autism spectrum disorder, amongst other things.."

"Am I still in trouble?" You ask quietly.

"No. You will not be punished for your neurodivergency simply because others do not understand it. You will need practice with skills such as managing your anxiety and being able to remain calm despite your situation.

I will discuss with the other staff about it to ensure that they are aware. You do not need to be worried."

You look at him with faint sigh.

"Thank you."

What an understatement...

"You needn't thank me. Just have faith that there will be people who understand. Who relate. . Even if you can't see that they do."