"Look at me." He orders.

You slowly look up, knowing that he would just repeat himself until you complied. You sharply inhale through your nose, playing with the sleeves of your sweater. 

His leg is crossed over the other as he expressionlessly stares at you. His elbow sits on the arm rest, his fingers leaning against this temples at a tilted angle. He quietly exhales before dropping his arm, straightening his head as he clasps his hands in his lap. 

"I have noticed your recent behavior and I want an honest explanation. Contrary to your possible beliefs, I am quite the observant man- one who does not miss out on the littlest details. I have seen your empty stares, fatigued movements, and so on... I may not be an expert in emotional care or treatment, but it is my duty as a professor and as your head of house to make sure that you are alright. If anything, a moral obligation." He states, his eyes looking off to the side then up back at you. 

Your bottom lip quivers as you sigh in defeat. You feel ashamed and humiliated at the confrontation - not wanting to burden him with your problems. Your parents were right. You just needed to deal with it and figure it out on your own. 

You run your fingers through your hair with a shaky exhale, finally willing yourself to meet your professor's patient gaze. 

"I um.. I-I just don't where to start or how to explain anything.... I-I'll try.." You swallow, fidgeting with your hands. 

He nods his head, waiting for you to continue. 

"I just.. I feel like this empty, black hole.. And I am falling.. And falling.." You pause "But there is no rope to help me out. No one to hear my screams for help. I-I just feel so... terrible and foul inside, Professor. There is a darkness eating at me.. I-I can't sleep.. eat.. study.. I am just crashing so h-hard and I don't know what to do." You whimper out, clutching your hands together tightly.

"It just hits me at the most random times.. Li-Like I'll be writing an essay and struggling so much that I can't take it anymore." You cry, wiping your tears with the back of your hand. 

Professor Snape conjures up a black handkerchief and you silently take it. He leans back in his chair and watches you with an unreadable expression.

"I feel like such a burden. My parents won't help me." You pause, sniffling "Am I a burden, Professor?" You whisper, silent tears streaming down your face as you await an answer. Your breaths are sharp and quiet as your chest falls up and down with rigid sobs. 

Professor Snape leans forward and his lips quietly curl downwards. He clenches his jaw and looks to the side, before looking back at you with the shake of his head. 

"No. You are not a burden, Miss Y/n. You are fine Slytherin student that is struggling and needs help. Deserves help. I understand that what you are feeling seems to be unbearable, but you cannot give in." He says with another shake of his head, his eyes boring into yours. 

The older man scoots his chair a foot closer to yours. 

"You may not be able to control your emotions, but you must discipline your mind. Or else it will take over your entire being until you are no more." He pauses, looking at the ground. 

You quietly sob as he briefly pauses. You focus on his brown eyes through your teary vision. He looks at you with a stern gaze.

"You are the brightest witch of your age. And you will remain so. I know that because of all of these blessed, yet somewhat insufferable years I have known you.." He trails off. 

You let out a watery chuckle at his half-compliment, half-insult. 

"You continue you to amaze me in your craftsmen ship with potions. You would make a fine professor someday... But not better than me. If you even think about trying to take over my job, one of these days my hand might  just slip something in your drink." He says, his lips curling upwards in amusement. He wouldn't be Severus Snape without including some sort of threat, sarcastic comment, or insult in every few of his sentences. 

Your tears have died down as you continue to use your handkerchief. He, albeit hesitantly, takes his hands in yours. You look up at him and he looks back at you. 

"You are going to be okay. I will help you. All you need to do is ask. Help may not be found everywhere in this world, but it will be in this classroom." He quietly says in his deep voice, a nod accompanying his words.

You nod your head and look off to the side, before back up at the windows. The snow had stopped falling and it was evident that the sun was shining through. You sigh softly before turning your gaze to his. He leans back in his chair and you look at him with a faint smile. 

"Thank you, Professor."