Love and Friendship

Start from the beginning

"Please," he said, watching as she pulled away from him.

"Roxy, I think you guys should talk. I don't know what's going on and it might not be my place, but.. Yeah." Bradley said, giving Max a shrug.

He felt so thankful for Bradley at that moment, he had almost forgotten what he was asking.

"I don't know," Roxanne responded softly. He could see that she was trying so hard to keep it together.

"Max?"

He wanted to die at that moment. Why was she here?

He turned to look over his shoulder. Mona was standing there, clutching her backpack on one shoulder. She looked so small and pitiful.

"I think you're needed elsewhere," Roxanne said bitterly.

Max sighed. He was not doing this anymore. He was not casting Roxanne aside.

"I'll talk to you later," Max said to Mona. "I have other matters to take care of first, I think you understand."

He saw Mona blush red, clearly shocked that he had just said that to her.

"It's important Max," Mona said.

"I know, but I have something more important." he grabbed Roxanne's hand and led her away, leaving Mona standing there with Bradley.

"Max!" he heard Mona yell, but he didn't care. He continued walking, feeling the warmth of Roxanne's hand on his. It felt so right. He didn't care that he had acted like the biggest douche in the world, but he wasn't going to let Roxanne walk away again.

He led her to the courtyard behind the building, where the botany class was setting up. He moved her closer to the back, away from prying eyes. Why were they even out here in the middle of January?

He found a bench covered in snow and used his hand to remove the layer. He motioned for her to sit but she refused. She stood, her hands safely inside her coat pockets.

"Roxanne, I don't know what I'm supposed to do, or say," he said, not wanting to waste any time.

"Because there isn't anything you could say," Roxanne said, glaring at him. "I don't know what to feel either! I can't tell if I'm mad, sad or just disappointed."

"All of that is fair, I fucked up. I didn't mean for this to happen. I am sorry. I am sorry for fucking up what we were trying to build," he said, feeling his chest getting tight. "I can't lose you again, Roxy. I can't."

"What do you expect me to do? Live alongside you with Mona always there in the background? Shit Max, she drugged me! She's not a good person. I don't know why you even stayed with her in the first place!" Roxanne spat. He could see her frustration coming out. She had never lashed out at him like this. "She will forever be a part of your life! Our life if I decide to stay with you. I can't see this working out."

"If that baby is mine-" Max blurted out. He instantly regretted it when he saw Roxanne's eyes go wide.

"If? Are you seriously implying that the baby isn't yours? Will you stoop so low Max?" Roxanne yelled.

"I have my doubts, yes." Max said, firmly. He had to be honest with her. "Do you want to hear my reasons why? Or is my word enough?"

Roxanne shook her head, her cheeks turning scarlet from the cold.

"What are you going to do?" Roxanne whispered, her tears finally falling silently down her cheek. Max would have rather had her yelling at him than having her stand there crying.