Chapter 13

The snow in the North lasted a few more days. Xian Sheng actually got to see the thick snow covering the ground. He was eager to go out and play in the snow, but was strictly stopped by Zhan Lue because he got a cold and then a fever.

He was locked in the room. Although Xian Sheng didn't make it obvious, he was clearly upset.

The doors and windows were shut. Xian Sheng's head felt heavy and his nose was stuffed. He had a lung disease in the first place. Now that he coughed from time to time, his chest was slightly in pain from the vibrations. He lied in bed, barely breathing through his mouth.

Zhan Lue ordered a royal physician over and they prescribed a prescription. Although Xian Sheng took the prescription for two days, his conditions didn't improve.

This piece of news quickly spread across the entire royal palace. The common people all heard about it and they began to discuss it spiritedly.

The break was over and Zhan Lue was forced back to the military camp. On the way back while riding the horse, the capital showered in ice and snow was still bustling with excitement. He stopped and looked around, buying a baked sesame seed-coated cake.

He got back on his horse and left when a young man suddenly walked out from the corner. He glanced at Zhan Lue's rear view, his gaze cold.

The person besides him said, "I heard that Princess Xian Sheng fell sick again. She probably won't come to the ice soccer competition."

"We'll find a way."

"...There are people spreading rumors that she won't make it past the first winter of the North."

In the man's eyes, there was a sense of killing. The man on his side lowered his eyes and said respectfully, "But this subordinate think that the Princess has her own heaven, and will wait until the Prince come home."

In the mansion, Xian Sheng was leaning against the window to read a book. He put a fire basin beside him and said, "The prince is back."

Then, he started to get lost in his thoughts.

Zhan Lue would always bring him back food these few days. He didn't have a good appetite, but the rare and uncommon snacks would always arouse his appetite. The moment he thought of it, drool flowed down his lips. When Zhan Lue left this morning, he specially reminded him to bring back the baked sesame seed-coated cake from yesterday. 

The baked sesame seed-coated cake could also be dipped in soup, so it wasn't that dry. However, the soup was warm in the beginning, so it couldn't soften the cake. It was due to this that made the cake crispy and tasty. Mixed along with the soup, it was delicious.

When Zhan Lue walked in, Xian Sheng already sat down by the table, well-behaved. He was waiting eagerly like a puppy or kitten waiting to be fed.

Zhan Lue took out the soup from the meal box and warmed it up on the pot on the stove. Then, he delivered the baked sesame seed-coated cake he kept in his chest to Xian Sheng. He said, "The ice soccer competition will be held in three days. If the princess still hasn't recovered by then, you won't be able to join in on the fun."

The warmed soup was brought to the table. Xian Sheng tossed bits of the cake in there and said unhappily, "I will recover."

He used his chopsticks to submerge the cake into the soup, eating it like that. His body quickly warmed up. He lifted his head in satisfaction only to see Zhan Lue gone from the room.

Usually, when he was at home, his elder brothers would stay with him. But only Zhan Lue would come look for him nowadays.

He wasn't annoyed. He walked over to the couch. Zhan Lue slept here at night, but it was his place in the morning. He could hear the snow falling on the ground although separated by the window. Sometimes, he heard rustling. Sometimes, the birds would chirp on sunny days. It was quite pleasing and satisfying.