Chapter 73

It was night time and both of the ladies had finished cooking, "Hazan Ana? I'm curious about a couple of things."

"Go ahead, ask anything you want to know." Hazan encouraged Aiyla to ask questions.

"How do you know Omar Khayyam? Does that mean you know Nizamülmülk as well?" Aiyla asked.

"Yes, we knew each other many years ago, knowledge and medicine go together as well as research. We all had our special areas of knowledge but I got married and left after Sibel was born. Omar Khayyam remembered Sibel today, he was there to visit after I had given birth to her long ago." Hazan spoke as she remembered the past.

Great, she's acquainted with the man who stabbed me.

"Spill it out..?" Hazan spoke out to Aiyla.

"What?"

"Something bothered you just now." Hazan said.

"I never really told you who stabbed me, I just told you that it happened in Isfahan..."

Hazan stopped what she was doing and turned to Aiyla, she knew how much this topic still pained Aiyla.

"Nizamülmülk was the one who stabbed me, and that man was probably one of his men who you saw burying me." Aiyla spoke in disappointment.

If only you know, Sencer, what the man you always praised did to me.

A plate landed on the floor as it broke to pieces.

"Impossible, what did you do for Nizamülmülk to do such a thing? You wouldn't have done anything bad, since the moment I met you, I knew you were a good person. But Nizamülmülk is one of the greatest men in our state. Tell me?"

"He must have followed me and saw me speaking with some people at a late hour; perhaps he concluded that I was a spy sent by those people, but I would never betray the Seljuk dynasty. It must be a misunderstanding but it literally ruined my life." Aiyla sighed after she finished speaking.

Aiyla bent down to clean out the broken plate, "I just wanted to meet my father, that's why I left that night from the comfort of my room...I was an idiot for doing so..." 

"Your father? No, Kizim, this was destined to happen, there's no running away from whatever Allah has written for you in this world." Hazan told her.

Hazan went down to the floor, to help Aiyla with the broken plate.

"What really disappoints me is that I never met my father that night, the old man that was there, I had thought he was my father at first but he was only there to tell me something disturbing, he said that I was born out of wedlock and that's the reason my father isn't aware of me or perhaps doesn't want me in his life." Aiyla let a tear run down her face, but she injured her finger with one of the broken shards.

Aiyla was upset with herself now that she remembered the words of that stranger, she didn't know how she could have believed such words from the old man's mouth. Her mother would never do such a thing.

"Aiyla, your finger is bleeding!?" Hazan yelled out as she grabbed some things to clean the cut and cover it.

Aiyla looked at Hazan Hatun as she tended to her finger, "Do you still want me to stay with you? I could leave right now. Just let me grab my-" Hazan raised her hand, stopping Aiyla from finishing.

"Aiyla, you just trusted a random old man you never saw before except that one day. What if he was lying to you and dragged you out at night just so Nizamülmülk could see you and assume you are a spy?" Hazan spoke in a serious manner.

"Ever since the arrow pierced my skin, I slowly became too emotional, not really using common sense at the right times." Aiyla sighed in frustration.

Hazan shook her head but understood that Aiyla was a victim of the effects of the poison, she had seen some of the disturbing effects her late husband had to endure.

"I trust you, Aiyla." Hazan told her with a smile.

Aiyla closed her eyes, trying to keep her tears from escaping.

"Thank you for trusting me. I wish the others would have trusted me like this instead of stabbing me and burying me in the middle of nowhere." Aiyla spoke the second sentence with a sarcastic tone.