•27•

Eᴘɪsᴏᴅᴇ 5 ~ Ds ᴀɴᴅ Sʜᴀᴅᴏᴡs

Eᴘɪsᴏᴅᴇ 5 ~ Dᴜsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ Sʜᴀᴅᴏᴡs

★ ★ ★

In the institute, specifically Isabelle's bedroom, Izzy is getting ready for the right of passage to mourn the dead shadowhunters and silent brothers. She takes out the tin Aldertree gave her a quickly puts some on her spine. The younger Lightwood lets out a gasp of pleasure and immediately feels less tense and more relaxed.

"What was that?" Alisha asks as she stands in the doorway. Isabelle quickly turns around after placing the tin on her dresser table.

"Nothing." She then notices the tears on her cheeks and opens her arms which Alisha gladly runs into. "I can help you get ready if you want?" The hybrid nods and the two go look for a dress. Alisha brushes her hair weakly whilst Izzy takes out two stunning white dresses from her wardrobe. One is a tight, short dress that ends just above her knees and the other is a less tight and longer dress. Alisha grabs the tight one and walks into the bathroom to change. After changing, she looks in the mirror and looks at her reflection. Her hands trace down to her hips and then back up to arms. The dress hugs her curves perfectly, making her look stunning. Alishas hand then traces her werewolf scars in her collarbone, letting out a long sigh. After a few minutes she walks back out seeing Izzy in a dress as well.

"You ready?" Izzy asks and Alisha nods slowly, even though she's not ever going to be ready for this day. Isabelle links her arms with Alisha, giving her some sort of comfort as they walk towards the centre of the institute.

A priest puts rose petals on each of the dead, which are covered by a thin white sheet. Everyone in the room is dressed in white, ready to say goodbye to the lost shadowhunters. Alec and Jace walk in, side by side in white suits.

"You all right?" Jace asks his parabatai who just nods. They walk near the front, ready for the ceremony to begin. Isabelle and Alisha walk in and immediately, the hybrid lets out a shaky breath. Izzy notices Aldertree watching her so she sends Alisha to Alec, knowing he can probably comfort her more that she can right now. Once Alisha had left, Aldertree comes up to Izzy.

"Isabelle, you're looking well. Shoulder's healing nicely?" He asks with a small smirk.

"Yes. Thank you. I don't see Simon, Jason, Isaac or Luke. Clary and Alisha asked if they–" Izzy begins but Aldertree is quick to cut her off.

"The Clave has enforced the order." Alisha stands beside Alec who rests his hand on her lower back. The Lightwood looks down at his girlfriend and sees the tears falling down her face as she looks at the bodies covered in sheets. He gently tilts her head so she's looking at him and wipes her tears, completely forgetting about his own. She leans into his touch and closes her eyes with a sigh of relief.

"Are you going to be okay?" He asks after a few seconds of silence. Alisha opens her eyes and looks up at him. She notices the tears on his cheeks so she quickly wiped them.

"I have to be." She states just as Jace and Clary walk over. Alec, now knowing what happened between Alisha and Clary, nods to the Fairchild, trying his best to be civil with her. Alisha smiles sadly at Jace who kisses her cheek, wanting her to know that he's here for her.

"Those remaining will take their place with the fallen." Aldertree says to the crowd. Clary and Jace walk over and stand next to Jocelyn's body. Alisha looks around the crowd, desperate to find her brothers, still not knowing that they're not there. "Those remaining will say the names of the fallen."

"Brother Micah." A silent brother, Enoch, says in all the shadowhunters mind. Everyone looks down respectfully.

"Pulvis et umbra sumus." The crowd says. Alisha desperately looks around now, her breathing increasing when she doesn't find them. Alec notices this and grips her hand tighter, giving her a reassuring look.

"Brother Jeremiah." Another silent brother says.

"For we are dust and shadows." Everyone translates. Alisha looks and sees its Jocelyn's turn. More tears fall down her face as Alec wraps an arm around her waist, wanting to have her closer to him.

"Jocelyn..." clary's voice cracks as she looks at her mother. She begins to cry harder, falling into Jaces arms. "Mom..."

"Jocelyn Fairchild." Jace states as he looks at the crowd, his eyes stuck on his parabatai and the broken hybrid sobbing silently in his arms. His strong facade shatters for a second, seeing the girl he's grown to love as a sister so broken, it brakes him.

"Ave atque vale. Hail and farewell." Everyone says and Clary and Jace go back to the crowd. Aldertree and the two Silent Brothers use steles on each one of the dead and raise their hands up. The fallen shadowhunters' souls fly up and into the sky. Alisha watches as her mother figures' ashes flys away. Jace grips her free hand as Alec tightens his grip on her waist.

Somewhere in the woods out of New York, Luke is lying on the ground, looking at the moon and stars. He watches as the love of his life's ashes fly around in the sky. He groans as his bones begin to crack, his body transforming into his wolf self. Luke howls loudly, his pack all in New York hearing him, becoming more and more worried.

After the funeral, Alisha walked - more like stormed - out of the institute and towards the Hunters Moon where her brothers texted her saying they were there. Once she gets there, her brothers immediately engulf her in a hug. She feels tears stain her shirt as she becomes even sadder.

"I'm so sorry-" she begins but Jason cuts her off.

"It's not your fault, it's Aldertrees." He spits venomously as they pull away from each other.

"Yeah, don't blame yourself okay." Isaac rubs his sisters arm comfortingly. She smiles brokenly. "Now can we please blow off some steam." They all nod and rush to the back alley of the Hunters Moon, turning into wolves. After they lost their parents, they ran around as wolves for what seems like years. When they transform into a wolf, some of the pain goes away which makes it easier for werewolves to consume the guilt.