•24•

Eᴘɪsᴏᴅᴇ 5 ~ Ds ᴀɴᴅ Sʜᴀᴅᴏᴡs

Eᴘɪsᴏᴅᴇ 5 ~ Dᴜsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ Sʜᴀᴅᴏᴡs

★ ★ ★

During Izzy's conversation with Aldertree, Alec and Clary somehow managed to get out of the institute with their weapons without raising suspicion. They now stand outside the warlock Iris Rouse's house. Alec looks at Clary and she nods so he knocks on the door. A pregnant woman opens the door and peeks her head out.

"Are you here to see Dr. Rouse?" She asks quietly.

"Yes. Um... I, I think she's expecting me. My name's Clary." Clary says and Iris, seeing Clary from further down the hall, smiles.

"I was indeed expecting you. I only wondered when. And I see you brought a guest." She looks at Alec. "Your boyfriend?" They both cringe and Alec quickly shakes his head.

"No." They both say together.

"Well, whatever you are, leave your weapon outside." Alec looks at Iris confused and she lets out a small laugh. "Any warlock worth a damn can see through Shadowhunter glamour with ease. Oh, don't worry. It'll be safe in the alcove." Alec's bow and arrows appear and they go into the house. Alec puts his weapon by the door. Iris turns to Clary. "Did you bring your mother's..."

"Uh, her hair. Yes." Clary says, pulling out Jocelyn's lock of hair which is secured by a small ribbon.

"Perfect." Iris smiles and then gestures the woman from before. "Nurse Leigh will help you with the paperwork."

"Uh, paperwork?" Alec tunes in, looking at the warlock.

"Yeah, just a simple pin prick to draw blood for the oath. For the favor we talked about." Iris smiles kindly.

"Well, I– I don't know about any favor." He says looking at Clary.

"Oh, that was the deal we made." Iris assures and Clary looks at Alec.

"It's fine, Alec. I wanna do this." She says and Iris's smile grows wider.

"Delightful. Follow me. Your friend can wait here for you in the waiting room." Alec shakes his head immediately.

"No, I'm not leaving her side." Alec states, suddenly feeling protective.

"Oh, then I can't do this." Iris turns to Clary. "His energy is too turbulent. I need calm, and he is not calm."

"Okay, I'm gonna need to see some credentials. Show me your warlock mark." Alec states bitterly.

"Dear, if a lady has concealed her mark, assume it's for good reason." She comments.