56 | the new girl

"Ah, Karate Con," Rudy said, "Three days to get new students. You can just smell the business in the air."

"That is urinal cakes," Jack grimaced, "Our booth is practically in the men's room."

"Luckily for me, I mastered the art of turning off my nose years ago," Azalea said.

Rudy let out a scoff as he watched one of the other senseis, "Trent Darby thinks he's all that with his perfect physique and all of his trophies and his fancy dojos."

"Yeah, what a loser," Jack agreed.

"I know right." Rudy radiated jealousy.

"Guys,  guys, I can't believe it!" Kim yelled as she ran over to them, "Sloane Jennings is here. I am her biggest fan!"

"All right people, listen up," Vance, Sloane's manager said, "Now, we've come to Karate Con to find a new dojo for Sloane that will provide discipline and focus. So she can dominate the Girls' National Karate Tournament."

"And to introduce my new Sloane Jennings Acne Scrub," she smiled before breaking a board, "You don't have to be a black belt to fight blackheads."

"Commercials really are where careers go to die," Azalea cringed at the slogan while the crowd clapped.

"Do you have any idea what this means?" Jack asked Rudy.

"I can finally get rid of that patch of zits on my-"

"NO!" Azalea interrupted him, "Don't finish that sentence."

"Rudy, they are looking for a new dojo for Sloane," Jack told him, "That could be us."

They looked over to see Trent Darby approach Sloane and her manager, "This is my book. The Trent Darby Story. It's the story of —"

"Trent Darby?" Sloane finished.

"Oh, you've read it," Trent asked.

"I'd like to offer you my book," Rudy walked over, "It's my autobiography. From Rags to Rudy."

"Let me guess, the story of a poor boy who rose up to be a sensei?" Trent scoffed.

"I wish," Azalea sighed from behind her brother.

"Uh, no. It's the story of a boy who changed his name from 'Rags' to 'Rudy'. Yeah, you heard me. I was a boy named Rags."

"And he says that with such pride."

☆★☆

The next day they walked into the dojo it was to find Rudy inside with three new students. And the sensei in question was wearing a golden silk robe over his gi.

"Oh, guys, we are in the wrong dojo," Jerry said, "Sorry, sir."

"Rudy, what the hell have you done to this place?" Azalea asked.

"Sloane and her manager are on their way over here," Rudy explained, "They said it was important to them to get to know the real us, so I changed everything about who we are."

"Okay," Azalea said, "I understand your reasoning. But I don't like that you have changed this place without asking me so I could have denied it."

"It has to be perfect," Rudy continued, "Jack, Lea, Kim, go put on your formal training gis. Milton, Jerry, get out."

"Good call."