Chapter 8: The Truth

After the U.S.J. Attack, U.A. gave its students some time off school. I learned that Nome had been hospitalized from having a fight against the Nomu, so I walk to the hospital he was in to visit him. I arrive at the door, and knock.

"Come in." Is all I heard, and I open the door. He looks over to see who it was, and his face remained neutral, as if he didn't have the energy to scowl at me. "What do you want? Here to finish me off?" He asked coldly.

"Don't be rude. I came to visit because I was worried." I pout.

"I don't need your pity." He says, and looks out the window. I make my way to sit in the seat beside the bed, but trip. He looks over, and sighs. "Are you okay?" He asked.

I get up slowly, and nod. But then I freeze. "Did you just...show care for my wellbeing...?" I asked.

"You may be an absolute failure at everything, but you're still my sister. Of course I care." He says. I smile, and take the seat beside the bed. "Just...don't touch those flowers. You might drop the water all over me." He says. I giggle a bit, as that does sound like something I would do.

"Hey. Why did you say all those mean things to me before?" I asked.

He sighs. "Because you suck." He says. I expected he'd say that, so I wasn't that surprised.

"Hey Nome...? Do you...know where our-"

"They're dead." He cuts me off before I even finish the question.

"They're...dead...?" I asked.

"They died in a car accident." He tells me.

"Then why-?"

"As a seven year old kid, I couldn't support us both. So I dumped you in that alley, wiped your memories with my Quirk, and ran off. I left you half of the family fortune, and gave you that book." He tells me.

"Then, did you also send a crow to check up on me everyday?" I asked.

"A crow? No. My Quirk can't control animals. All I can do is lift things up with the Force. That's my Quirk, The Force." He explains some more things to me.

"I see." I say simply. After a moment of silence, he speaks again.

"Do you hate me yet?" He asked. I shake my head.

"No, I completely understand why you left me. You wiped my memories so I wouldn't chase after you and find you, right?" I ask.

He nods, and looks away. "I'm sorry, Noelle. I should've been there for you..." He says. I shake my head again.

"It's okay. Knowing me, I probably would've slowed you down. Besides, if you didn't leave me there, I never would've met this amazing friend I have now." I tell him. I decided to tell him all about Vic, and everything that we have common. Then, another idea hits me. "Nome...? About what we were talking about the other day? Can you tell me? About my Quirk."

"That? Yeah. I guess now is as good a time as any... Listen well, because I won't be repeating anything." He tells me, and I nod. "You're Quirk, your real Quirk, is called PsyQualia. It works off of your imagination. Anything you imagine while your Quirk is active, will happen." He explains.

"Psy...Qualia...? What do you mean by anything I imagine?" I asked.

"It's as it sounds. For you, the sky is literally the limit. You remember those flames and ice that showed up during your practice? Your panicking must have made you think of doing something, anything, to keep whatever you saw in your vision to come true. That fire and ice was you copying Todoroki's fire and ice Quirk. It's the same with the explosions." He tells me.

"So you're telling me...I can use other people's Quirks if I just think about it?" I asked.

"Yeah. That's exactly what I'm saying." He nods.

"But wait, isn't that super overpowered...?!" I shout, but also try to keep my voice down.

"We're far past the Quirk Singularity Theory at this point. Nothing surprises me anymore." He claims as he relaxes in his hospital bed.

"How do I control this power...?" I asked.

"I guess there's no choice... I'll train you myself." He says.

"What? You will?" I asked again.

"Yes. Now get out and let me recover." He groans.

I nod, and step out of the room as Recovery Girl steps in to do her healing magic/Quirk on Nome.

"PsyQualia...? Anything I imagine..." I mutter to myself on a park bench. I decided to give it a try, and imagined a small flame on my pointer finger. But the result instead was a big flame that freaked me out, so I put it out immediately. It's a lot harder to control than I thought...

"Hey Noelle." I hear a familiar voice, and look over to see Noa waving.

"Noa?! Are you feeling better?!" I asked her.

"Much better, thank you for asking." She smiles, and sits next to me. At a reasonable distance, though. "Don't want you getting sick too." She laughs at herself.

"Hey, you won't believe what happened! Listen to this...!" I say, and start to tell her what happened at the U.S.J..

"No way...! That sounds horrible! Is Mr. Nome okay?!" She asked.

"He's recovering, and I'm sure he'll be fine." I answer.

"That's good. I'm surprised you even came to see him. Given the way he treats you." She comments.

"I just wanted to make sure he's okay." I smile.

We talked for a bit, until Noa got a text from someone again. "Oh. Time for me to go. It was nice talking to you." Noa says as she stands up.

"Bye then. Take care." I smile and wave goodbye.

She leaves with a smile on her face, as I also leave for my home as well.