Best friends.......13

Marley's POV

Memories flashed through my brain, memories of the one person that has never left my side. He's always been my rock, I've always known that. I just didn't know it would take me getting hit with four bullets to realize that maybe he was more than a rock to me.

The memories stop, the warmth disappears, everything turns black. Then all at once, I start to feel. I can feel my sheet moving up and down, I can feel my toes move when I move them, I feel someone holding my hand, and an object pressed against my leg.

I felt tubes and wires. But most of all I felt pain, so much pain. It was everywhere. I hear the faint sound of footsteps.

"She's in pain." I heard a voice say, it sounded like. Wanda? I wanted to open my eyes, to let everyone know I was here, that I wasn't gone.

"Does this mean that she'll wake soon?" Another person, the one next to me said. This voice I could recognize anywhere. it belonged to Sam. God he's going to kill me.

"I don't know, her brain is active, but she's still unconscious. I guess it's still a waiting game." I wanted to scream, I wanted to move, to live, to not be in pain. I guess pain just follows me wherever I go. The pain in my body started to fade, but with it faded my ability to feel. starting with the tubes and wires, ending with the hand holding mine, it all disappeared. Darkness consumed me and all too soon, I was alone again.

Sam's POV

"I don't know, her brain is active, but she's still unconscious. I guess it's still a waiting game." Wanda said. I turned my head looking at my best friend, the monitors, the wires, it was all too much. We lost Banner after the battle of Sokovia, he just left. the doctors did what they could, she flatlined twice, I swear if she ever wakes up I'll kill her. I didn't notice that Wanda left until someone new spoke.

"How's she doing?" I looked over to see who spoke, It was Steve.

"Well, she's still unconscious." Steve nods his head and walks over to one of the chairs to sit. "She's been out for almost two weeks Steve, she almost dies twice. What if she doesn't make it?"

"I'm almost positive she'll be fine, she's a stubborn person."

"You got that right." I chuckle.

"Why don't you go home for the night?" Steve proposes. "I'll stay with her for the night."

"I'm not leaving her."

"Look Sam I hate to be this person, but you need a shower, and you need proper sleep. Go to your apartment for the night, I'll stay here and call you if anything happens."

"Fine," I sigh. "But if she wakes up I better be the first one you call," I say standing up.

"I wouldn't think about calling anyone else first," Steve assures me as I walk out of the room.

Marley's POV

The black is fading. I can hear voices, I can feel things, I can see lights. I think the black is finally leaving forever this time. I don't know who's in the room, I haven't paid that close attention to the voices. I focus, so hard, to do something. To move something. A couple more seconds, or maybe minutes, of focusing I feel it. I move my hand, it's a simple flex, but I moved it. I feel someone take my hand, I hear the door open, and more footsteps.

"She's waking," I hear Wanda whisper. As if that was the key, my eyes flutter open, only to immediately slam closed. The lights were so bright.

"Shit," I breathe out, my voice not really wanting to talk. Slowly I open my eyes again, letting them adjust to the lights. My eyes adjust and I look around the room, Sam was in a chair next to my bed his hand in mine, Wanda was on the other side of me a smile growing on her face. At first, I thought that was it but then I noticed Pietro sulking in the corner of the room.

"Hey Mar," Sam says quietly from beside me.

"Hey Sammy," I say turning my head to look at him a smile growing on my face. I turn my head the other way. "Hey, Wanda."

"Hi, Marley."

"Mother fucker," I groan. "Is it normal to have a headache after a coma?" I bring my free hand to my face and rub my head. Wanda shakes her head.

"I don't think so, I'll go get Tony." She walks out of the room, I notice that Pietro had already left, which left me alone with Sam.

"I'm sorry," I say to Sam looking up at the ceiling. "I didn't mean to get shot."

"Oh come on, we both know that's Bull shit." I couldn't tell if he was mad or not so I risked a glance at his face. I was relieved to see he had a small smile. "I just wished you wouldn't have worried me so much."

"I'm sorry," I say again. "I'm sorry that I broke my promise, that I got shot, four times. I'm sorry that I almost died falling off a flying island-"

"Whoa! Can we pause right there? Yeah?" I nod my head slowly. "Yeah let's pause, and back up. You almost died?" I nod again. "By falling off of Sokovia? While it was Flying?"

"Ummm......Yea?" I reply "Tony caught me. I'm really sorry." I say My eyes start to fill with tears. In all of my life, the thing I hated doing most is letting people down.

"Hey hey hey," Sam says quietly. "You're here now, you're ok." His voice was soothing in a way that I never noticed before. With his free hand, he wiped away the couple of tears that escaped my eyes. " You don't have to be sorry, you were doing your job, you didn't do anything wrong." I look away not wanting to meet his eyes.

"But... I broke my promise."

"Marley? hey, look at me?" Sam gets up from his seat and sits on the edge of my bed, he takes his free hand and gently guides my face to look at him. "Remember when we were seniors and you broke that promise?" I nod my head Those were not good memories. "Well on the same day we made up I made a promise to myself that I would never make a big deal over a broken promise again. I would never walk away, I would never give up on you. We're best friends."

"Forever and always," I say a small smile on my face.

"Get some sleep bird brain." He said to me. "I'll be here." the last thing I remember before falling asleep was his lips on my forehead and his hand in mine.

A/N: wow this was a long one....