Love & Loss :: Fred Weasley :: P2

"How is she doing, Freddie?"

"Quiet," Fred answered his brother as he left yours and his shared bedroom. "She's really quiet. And isn't saying or doing much. She's not engaging. Like she's shut down. I'm worried."

"It's only day two," George tried to encourage him. "She'll push through. She always has."

"I don't know, mate. This is different than when she lost her dog last year," Fred sighed when he remembered how emotional you were. "This is that situation's emotions times a billion. No exaggeration."

"Well. You can take today off to keep her company. I'll call Ron in."

"Isn't he staying with Hermione? She's pregnant again," Fred asked. "I'd hate to pull him away from her like that."

"Fred, this is different. This isn't for you, it's for her. And her and Ron are like siblings. I'm sure he'll step in the second I owl him."

"Alright," Fred stopped putting on his tie and unbuttoned a few of his shirt buttons. "Thanks, mate. I wouldn't be able to focus knowing she's struggling this much. I have to make sure she eats and takes care of herself."

"Exactly," George gave his brother a reassuring hug. "She'll be alright. I'm just downstairs in the shop if you need anything. And I'll come up here when it's slow to check in."

George left and that's when Fred decided to see if you'd eat anything. The door to your bedroom opened and Fred slipped inside. His hand rested gently on your shoulder.

"Hello, love," He spoke softly. "What sounds good for breakfast today?"

You didn't answer him.

"Well, it shouldn't be donuts. Or anything too sweet. It should be something of substance. Because we can't have you getting sick too," He explained mindlessly. "Maybe I could run by that diner you like and grab something? Like a bagel or something?"

You said nothing. But sat up, pulled Fred into bed, and wrapped yourself around him completely. Like a little koala. You felt his warmth wrap around you and your heart sighed.

That's what you needed.

Warmth and familiarity.

"Just cuddles for a bit? Okay, my darling, we can cuddle," He smiled softly and kissed your forehead. "I love you. So much. I miss your voice."

"Mmm," You hummed faintly and buried into him further.

"Close enough, I won't push you," He placed another gentle kiss on your head. "It's you and me today."

You two stayed like that before your stomach growled very loudly. It made Fred laugh but you didn't want anything to do with food. At all. It just- didn't sound good.

In fact, even the thought of food made you nauseous.

"I'll go pick up that bagel for you from the diner. Would you like jam or cream cheese?"

You shuddered and shook your head.

"No? Okay. Well. We gotta get you eating something," He told you. "How about some fruit? Just an apple? Maybe some grapes?"

Again, you shook your head. But this time another hum left your lips and you nuzzled your face into his chest. Fred sighed.

"Darling, I want to help you. I really do. But I don't know how. You're going to have to help me learn how. I'll do anything I can to help you feel better."

"Stay," You finally said. "Just stay."

And he did. For a few hours. Until George came up into the apartment to check in on the two of you. Fred got out of bed after peeling your sleeping self off of him for a bit.

"Hey, how's everything?" Fred asked George.

"Slow. Really relaxed today. The weather is rubbish so not many are out in it. It's bitter cold out there, mate."

"Jeez, well, I'm glad it's not stressful busy for you," Fred replied.

"How's our girl?"

"Like I said, quiet, not talking much. Not eating anything. I got her to speak a little bit ago. She's just... not with it."

"Well..." George frowned. "Do you think that telling her our pregnant pygmy puff had her babies today would encourage her?"

"Not likely. I used all of my best jokes. There's no way."

"I want to see her. Do you think she'd mind visitors?"

Fred let George into the room and said he'd go down to check on the new pygmy puff babies. George sat on the end of yours and Fred's bed.

"Lovely... I know you don't want to talk to anyone. I guess I just wanted to let you know that I'm here for you. Whenever you need me. Freddie too."

He was treated to silence. So he tried something else.

"Our pygmy puff had her babies," George tried. "They're so tiny. I didn't want to touch them because they looked so fragile. But... I know you like baby things. So."

You turned to face him. "Can... can I see them?"

"Yeah, of course!" George smiled and jumped up. But then remembered he had to be easy with you. So he calmed down a little. "They're very cute. I think you'll like them."

George left the room to give you a bit of privacy so you could dress yourself. Then you left the room after him and took his arm.

"Love? You- you're out of bed? Aww, I'm proud of you," Fred wrapped you up in a hug that you didn't want to pull away from. But you heard a bunch of little high pitched yipping and squeaking from the back room of the shop.

The twins joined you in the back and entered the room with you. Then you saw a small box with a heat lamp hovering over the top of the box to keep everyone inside warm.

You peered over into the box and were taken aback at the sight of the many little pups in the box. They were absolutely adorable and seriously tiny. They all were little pink blobs with nubs for legs but they'll grow.

"They're precious," You whispered softly. "How's mum? Did either of you witness the birth? Did it go okay?"

"It was perfect. She did so well," George explained. "I watched it. She had some pain, because it's birth, but nothing too concerning."

"Good," You smiled when the mother puff began licking the head of the little pink pup closest to her. She looked so proud of her pups already. "She'll be such a good mum."

"I think so too," Fred hugged you from behind. Then he kissed your neck just behind your ear and it sent a chill all the way down your spine. "Your smile is beautiful, love."

You blushed.

"Freddie," You leaned back into him. "I don't even really want to be up right now."

"But I'm glad you are," Fred replied with another prompt kiss to your neck. "Because I missed you."

"Yeah, well, don't get used to it," You pushed away from him suddenly. "I'm going to go... shower..."

The twins met eyes when you left. Fred looked sad, but George had a hopeful smile on his face.

"We got her out of that room, mate. She smiled. She talked. We had a glimpse of her again."

"Yeah, I guess..." Fred sighed. "I just don't like seeing her like this. It sucks. It hurts."

"Well. We know what motivated her. Her love for animals. So..." George smirked. "I have an idea."