Fred Weasley: Towers

Prompt: "What are you doing?"
TW: near suicide attempt

The cold breeze from all around you brushed up against your face doing little to dry the tears from your damp cheeks. You had recently learned that your godfather had been murdered at the hands of Bellatrix Lestrange. The students in Dumbeldore's Army returned to Hogwarts and gave you the news. Your brother Harry in particular.

It's a week after learning you lost Sirius. Harry's been having trouble. So, being the good younger sister you are, have been there for all of his nightmares, panic attacks, and nights he skipped meals. You've been his rock but deep inside, your pain and fear was festering. It hurt. And forced you to push everyone away.

Including Fred. Your other half. Better half really.

You gasped as you felt your hands slip a little. They're sweating against the black metal railing of the astronomy tower. You were gonna do it. You'd be angling your jump (or fall, you weren't sure you had the courage to jump) so you wouldn't land in the lake. You'd land somewhere that would do the deed.

You left dinner early. You knew you weren't sneaky enough to slip out of the dorm after hours. You couldn't get caught. The staff were already suspicious of your depression. It's close to the point that they almost had Fred become your class escort so you wouldn't try hurting yourself during and between classes.

They really should have given Fred that position. Because here you are. About to give it all up at the very edge of the tallest tower in the castle. Your hands were sweating and shaky and you knew the longer you'd linger here, the weaker they'd become. You're hovering. Hesitating. Waiting for your strength to run out.

"Love...?" You heard Fred's voice behind you. You dared not turn around. You knew if you saw his face now you'd back out. "What... what are you doing...? Hey..."

"Fred... Freddie... go- go away..."

"No. No, love... c-come here..." You saw him out of the corner of your eye. The look is pure fear on his face was heart wrenching. Tears of fear began gathering in his amber eyes. "Please. Get- get away from the edge... please. We- we can figure this out."

"Sorry to interrupt the love fest but-" You heard George come up into the tower. Which caused a sob to burst from your chest. Unintentionally you raised one of your hands to wipe your eyes but it made your remaining hand slip further. You panicked and lost your footing, causing you to nearly fall and yelp.

Fred and George sprinted to the rail where you hung from and pulled you up. Fred yanked you into his arms, holding you tight against him. You started crying harder and began fighting him.

"Let me go!! Let- let go of me!! Fred let me go!!"

"Hell no I'm not!!" Fred cried back. "You're my everything!! Don't leave me!!"

George stood from where he was right next to you and Fred on the floor. "I'm gonna get Harry."

"No!" You yelled at him. "Not Harry!! Please!!"

He was gone before you could say anything else. Fred held you tighter and began rubbing your back. "I've got you. You're okay. You're alright love."

"Oh my god," Harry dropped to the floor next to you and Fred. He pulled you into his arms and you stopped fighting. You melted into his arms. "You're okay. Thank god. You're fine. You- you're okay."

"I'm sorry," You whispered quietly. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

"You're here. That's all I care about."

"Maybe being your escort is a position I need to take," Fred muttered, rubbing your back. "I'll be right here next to you all day."

You left Harry's arms and buried yourself into Fred's chest, crying again. "I'm so sorry..."

"We're gonna help you," He kissed your head. "We're gonna help. You're not supposed to do this alone. We've got you. Okay? I've got you. I'm right here. Don't leave me."

———————————————————————

a/n: sorry. this one was a bit forced.