Chapter 8. Long Work Night

Y/N POV

Caitlyn: All units are to surround the perimeter. Make sure none of them escape.

Jinx: Are you sure they even have a working mech ready?

Caitlyn: This is Maxwell we're talking about. That scum has all the resources in Piltover to make a small army. Lets just hope they're all here.

Vi: I hope they're tough. It'd be a waste to polish these gauntlets and not have something to bust em on.

Earlier today sure was fun and tonight seems to be no different. Maxwell, from what I read in the logs is a Crime Boss from Zaun. I never went to Zaun but from what I've heard, it and Piltover use to be connected. I wasn't born when they separated though so I've got no clue as to why they did. What I do know is that Zaun is pretty much Piltover but underground and much less hospitable. Our job here was simple, destroy anything mech looking and capture Maxwell alive if he's here. Sounds easy enough.

Caitlyn: Look Y/N, I know you're going to ask to do this alone but we can't sit back every time you're here.

Y/N: I wasn't going too this time. You girls can handle the main force. I'll see to it no mech comes and blows the whole district to pieces.

Caitlyn: From what I know about this particular model is an MZD 109 Sledgehammer. It's equipped with a-

Jinx: Big ass gun that'll reduce a human body to blood and guts in a single bullet. Armor Piercing is also apart of it but since this thing is about 15 feet in height, it's relatively slow.

Caitlyn: That's where its armor comes into play. Maxwell made sure to take into account your ability and no doubt enchanted it with heat resistance.

Y/N: Anything else?

Jinx: Beware of the 8 heat seeking missile barrels it'll no doubt launch at you. They've got precision aim to hit targets in the location they'll be at and not where they are.

Y/N: This'll provide good practice for things prepared for me. I might actually take this seriously.

Caitlyn: This is serious Y/N. Maxwell has made Zaun a living hell and he'll do the same to Piltover before you know it.

Y/N: I'm not worried cause we're on the job. We're a team after all and we know how to win in all situations.

Vi: You hit your head on something Y/N? You're not normally like this.

Y/N: Just met some people earlier today that pretty much taught me a team is needed to be something greater at times.

Jinx: Well I need to meet these people.

Y/N: Maybe tomorrow, if I'm not stuck studying all day.

Caitlyn: Lets move it people!

Everyone was in position and ready to go. On Caitlyn's signal, her team enters into the district from the front entrance where a defense force awaits them. With Jinx and Vi, things will go smoothly for them. My job was to locate the Mech and destroy it before it can be utilized.

Caitlyn: All units, move in!

Everyone goes in and the firefight commences while I use my speed to quickly bolt threw the battlefield from behind and make my way further into the district. Too say Maxwell had this place well defended would be an understatement. This guy had all the illegal weapons you could find. Including a Magic Cannon that I just destroyed so they couldn't use it on the girls. My job is pretty easy all things considered. I think I'm gonna do more than what I had planned. I stopped in the middle of a crowd and gave the biggest round of applauds anyone has ever gotten. Blowing everyone in the crowd away and shattering the glass of a few nearby buildings. I always wanted to do that and now I feel fulfilled. I continue on my way until I get to the large warehouse at the end of the district. This is pretty much a no brainer. I walk in, Maxwell will either be there with his mech at the ready or some random guy who gets paid by Maxwell will be the one to do it. I fight the mech and more than likely-

A giant bullet round flies out the warehouse entrance, right past my head. A little blood drips from the gash on my cheek.

Y/N: So that's how we want to play.

I fire a giant beam into the warehouse, leaving a giant hole in it. There the mech stood, only a little steamy from what I just did. I feel bad for whoever wasn't inside it.

Maxwell: Did you honestly think that'd work "Man of Light"?

Y/N: No but I'm not disappointed. If anything, I've been meaning to find a challenge.

Maxwell: Well then, allow me to give you more than you bargained for.

He took aim and started shooting at me. Since I'm not bulletproof, this would be a problem. Except for the fact this idiot only made his mech durable against my attack and forgot to take into account how to hit me. I just turn on my Light Cloak and all the bullets pass right threw me.

Maxwell: You gonna hide behind your powers or are you gonna fight?

Y/N: I'm waiting for a reason to actually fight.

Maxwell: Well how about I take this thing for a spin against your friends.

Y/N: There ya go.

I quickly speed over to its left leg and tear it off. Causing it too fall over.

Maxwell: What! Even you shouldn't have been able to do that.

Y/N: I've trained for 15 years of my life. Breaking stuff was one of the things I was really good at during those times.

He tries to crush me with gun but I quickly cut right threw it with a blade of pure light.

Maxwell: Well that hardly seems fair!

Y/N: That you didn't do your homework? I don't tell the public all of my Light Control abilities just out of the fact people would get scared. Just like you right about now.

I jump up to the cockpit and forcibly tear it open. When I see Maxwell he shoots me threw the chest in a pistol of his own. I, however, don't flinch and yank him out of his seat and down to the floor. I then proceed to tear the mech apart, piece by piece until it was a pile of scrap metal. I then decide to rush over to a nearby convenient store and buy some marshmallows. I then rush on back and light what's left of the mech on fire and roast some marshmallows.

Y/N: This ought to help me chill out. I really liked this shirt to.

I heat my body up until the bullet melts away completely so that my H-Factor can heal the entire wound. I wasn't too worried about Maxwell escaping since the girls would catch him before he got far. No, I needed time to think too myself. I'm not one to usually like charm spells. They always get on my nerves cause people want to either use me for my power or fame but then Evelynn did it. Something about it felt different. Like she really just wanted to reward me. I have no idea what kind but she felt.... genuine.... I gotta admit, all the girls are really nice. I expected something much more self centered and control freak like but they seemed just like me. Maybe I should listen to their music sometime...

Caitlyn: Are you even listening?

Y/N: Huh?

I turn to see the girls with Maxwell. They look particularly angry but it washes away when they see I've eaten the whole bag of marshmallows. Their expressions turn to concern.

Vi: Take Maxwell away. We need to have a talk with the Freelancer.

Officer: Yes ma'am.

Maxwell was taken away and the girls all take seats next to me.

Caitlyn: Something wrong? You don't ever eat a whole lot unless you're deep in thought.

I didn't answer but the look I gave her was enough to tell her that I different. Concerned.

Caitlyn: Who was it...?

Y/N: Those people I mentioned are friends of yours. K/DA.

She was stunned by this and Jinx was now finally paying attention.

Y/N: They said they wanted to "reward" me for all my hard work. Evelynn used her charm spell on me. Like usual, I didn't take it very well and still found a way to resist.....

Caitlyn: What's the problem then?

Y/N: I just feel as if I'm walking into another situation like with you. Falling in love with someone and being rejected. Later turning into a joke that haunts me...

The girls all looked upset by this. It's true, I really didn't like it when they teased me about not knowing Caitlyn and Vi were dating. I felt insulted and made fun of. All I ever do is help people and the one time I act a little selfish, people rub it in my face. I felt Caitlyn put her hand on my shoulder and shook me a little, getting my attention.

Caitlyn: I'll be honest with you Y/N. If I were into men, I would've said yes. If Eve wants to reward you, why not go and see her about it. Besides, there is nothing wrong with being selfish. Love is different from that in a way.

Y/N: What if I mess-

Caitlyn: Don't even think like that. If love is what she offers, don't pass it up. You need and deserve this. She's no different from you after all. She may be a diva but at her heart is for the people. Just like the rest of the girls. Come on, lets get you home so you can rest. Finals is next week if I recall so you need all the energy you can get.

I nod and follow her threw out the scene. I didn't realize how much damaged I caused to get here. I would've felt bad but too much was on my mind. What was going threw the Evelynn's head? I don't need a reward, I just want to help people.... Maybe they're right. Perhaps I can be a little selfish right now.