71

"I'm trying to realize
It's alright to not be fine on your own"

-

*Emily's Point Of View*

I stood there smiling as I watched them hug a sweet emotion filled the air.

"Sorry... this is the first time we've met in person" Karen said pulling away from Shawn.

"Yes, it's really nice to meet you Mrs Mendes" I said holding my hand out for her to shake.

She swatted my hand out of the way before pulling me into her arms her mouth right beside my ear. "Thank you so much" she whispered before pulling away. She wiped her wet eyes, "and please call me Karen" she said before smiling brightly.

I nodded in affirmation. I glanced back at Shawn who's arms where wrapped around his body. I'm not sure if it was because he wasn't expecting the cold Canadian weather or the whole situation.

"Come in! Come in! Manny's inside waiting" she said before walking towards the house.

I still didn't know how Shawn was feeling about the whole situation, he was calling me selfish one minute then the next crying in Karen's arms saying he loved and missed her.

Shawn walked a few feet in front of me as I trailed behind wanting to give him some space for the time being.

I walked in to see Karen talking to a very confused looking man. "S-Shawn?" I heard him stutter out as his eyes flickered between the two of us. By the look of Karen's wide smile at her husbands surprised reaction, I'm guessing Manny didn't know this was happening.

"Dad" Shawn said a sad smile coming up on his lips. Manny walked up to him and instantly wrapped his arms around him as Shawn reciprocated with a manly hug. They both stayed there for a while just hugging each other before I felt a hand grasp mine.

I looked up to see Karen staring up at me before nodding her head in the direction of the kitchen. I smiled before following behind her as we made our way to the kitchen.

I leaned against the kitchen counter resting my elbows on the counter top. I heard the sound of the kettle running as she placed two mugs on the counter.

"Coffee?" She asked with a raised eyebrow. "Yes please, one sugar" I said with a smile. She filled the cups with a mixture of milk, sugar and hot water before pushing the mug towards me.

I hummed in happiness as I took a sip of the warm liquid it instantly heating me up.

"I can not say thank you enough Emily" she said wrapping her fingers around the mug before lifting it up to her lips to take a sip.

"Please, it was no worries" I replied smiling softly as the sound of Shawn and Manny's laugh echoed into the kitchen.

"No seriously, I haven't heard that sound in just over two years" she said pursing her lips together.

I nodded in understandment, taking another sip from my mug.

"So... he told you what happened?" She asked curiously looking down at her cup.

"Uhh- Yeah" I said softly.

"God it was all my fault" she said letting out a shaky breath.

"No it's not. It's neither of your faults. You were both extremely angry. People say stuff the regret when they're mad" I answered looking into her eyes that were identical to Shawn's.

She sighed before nodding.

"How long are you here for?" She asked curiously raising the mug to her lips once again.

"Two days... I'm supposed to be in L.A right now actually" I said making her chuckle.

"What's it like with Shawn body guarding you?" She asked curiously.

"It's good... he's very protective and he's successfully kept me safe so far so I guess he must be pretty good at what he does" I said followed by a laugh.

She sighed sadly, "I wish I knew that before I yelled at him that night" she said looking down at her drink.

"It's okay, everyone makes mistakes. You were just looking out for him. As any mother would" I replied making her smile softly at me.

"Honey where's Aaliyah?" I heard Shawn's dad ask as he walked into the kitchen, Shawn following in right behind him.

"She's at hockey practice right now, she'll be home in an hour" Karen said.

"Hello, I'm Manny, Shawn's dad" Manny said holding his hand out for me to shake.

"I'm Emily, Shawn's... friend" I said shaking his hand with a smile. I glanced at Shawn who was just standing there awkwardly, an uncomfortable silence arising.

"Um... uh- I'll go take our bags upstairs... what room was it?" I asked Karen pushing myself off the counter.

"Up the stairs first door on the left" she explained with a warming smile. I returned the smile before walking upstairs, picking our bags up along the way.

I pushed the door open and stepped inside. I looked up instantly smiling. This was Shawn's old room.

There was multiple ice hockey trophies stood up on his cabinet with a bunch of photos framed underneath.

I looked over them to see a happy Shawn, some with friends and some with his family. I raised an eyebrow seeing one of him and Camila. I forgot they used to be best friends.

"I almost forgot what this room looked like" I heard a voice from behind me making me jump and spin around.

There stood Shawn leaning against his wall.

"You know you didn't have to say we were friends to my dad... I already told him about us" he answered walking over to his trophy cabinet.

"Sorry" I said softly waiting for his next move.

"No..." he began letting out a huff, "I'm sorry".

"I shouldn't have yelled at you and called you selfish when you were just trying to help me and make me happy" he said standing in front of me and grabbing my hands.

"It's okay, I understand" I said with a small smile.

"Now I know why you wore this jumper" he said playing with the collar of my thick denim jacket. I giggled as I looked down at it then back at him.

"I love you, and I'm really sorry for yelling at you" he said apologising again.

I grabbed his face, each palm resting on his cheeks. "It's okay, I love you too and I always will" I replied before pressing my lips to his softly.

"Thank you Em" he said resting his forehead against mine. I smiled realising how great this idea had turned out.

"I'm home!" A voice echoed throughout the house. I looked at Shawn confused as he smiled widely.

"Aaliyah"

-

A/N: I really need to go back through this book and edit cos oml there would be so many mistakes and shit