33

"I'll take you in
long strides
I'll teach you my
night rhymes"

-

*Shawn's Point Of View*

She stood there in her gorgeous orange lace up dress and black heels. Her hair was lightly curled into small waves.

The girls had put an eye mask over her eyes to prevent her from seeing anything and I now wish I could've thought of that earlier.

"C-Carly? Rhylee?" She stuttered reaching her hand out for them.

Carly then whispered something in her ear making Emily reach up to her mask and pull it up and over head, revealing those gorgeous eyes.

"SURPRISE!" Everyone yelled making her jump in shock.

I was completely speechless at how beautiful she looked as I stood there just staring at her.

"Happy birthday honey!" Katherine cheered pulling her daughter into her arms, Emily gladly accepting her hug.

"Did you plan this?" Emily said looking at her mom.

"Shawn and I did!" She said pointing towards me.

Her eyes finally landed on mine, a smile instantly growing along her lips. A smile formed on my lips as I waved my hand at her.

She pulled her mom in for another tight hug looking at me over her shoulder, mouthing me 'thank you'.

I nodded at her with a smile making her close her eyes and take in the feeling of her mums arms.

I stood back as everyone of her friends and family greeted her and wished her happy birthday. Her Aunt and Uncle, who I met at Washington were here.

Lila was here but George and Lily we're getting baby sat. Everyone was here except her father. He was the president after all and I'd usually just assume that it was okay and Emily was used to it.

But after her mom telling me that she was having a hard time dealing with her dad lately I wasn't so sure anymore.

Eventually she had finally said hello to everyone but me. I walked beside her, standing there with my arms crossed.

"You like it?" I asked making sure I wasn't giving off any signals that we were involved with one another.

"Yea I love it Shawn... Thank you" she whispered turning her head to look at me.

"Anything for you" I whispered before turning around to the snack table that was about 3 metres long in the living room of our apartment. There was crisps, lollies, hot food and the massive cake that her mother was talking about.

"Photo you too!" Rhylee yelled making me turn around at the sound of her voice.

"Oh- us?" I asked confused.

"Yes you too. I'm taking photos tonight" she said sheepishly smiling as she held up a large camera that hung off her neck.

"Uh- Yeah Of course" I said as Emily stood behind me sort of as her hand slid around my waist, a smile forming along my lips as the flash went off.

"Ah love it! I'll send you it Em" she said as she walked off to take photos elsewhere.

"That was weird" I said with a chuckle as I took a bite out of the hot pastry. I wasn't sure what it was but it was amazing.

"Well I won't hold you back. Have fun birthday girl" I said spinning around to observe the crowd.

"I'd rather hang out with you but that would be suspicious... Plus..." she said before leaning close to my ear.

"I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off you while you look like that" she whispered seductively in my ear before walking off, her hips swaying as I stared at her.

Confident. I like it.

I looked down at my suit. I was wearing an all black suit. I shrugged as I continued to munch on the pastry.

-

*Emily's Point Of View*

"Time for cake!" My mum cheered as she pulled me towards the middle of the room where the cake sat. She lit the number 2 and 0 before opening her mouth.

"Happy birthday to you" she began to sing as everyone started to join in.

I looked around at everyone. I was surrounded by my family and friends. I felt finally happy and I would've never thought I would be in this position last year.

My eyes landed on Shawn as he clapped as everyone stopped playfully singing the birthday song.

"Make a wish!" He shouted out making everyone else clap and cheer as I grinned.

I blew the candles out as I made my wish;

'for everything to be okay'

I didn't need perfect. I just needed this. I needed everything to be okay.

Everyone gathered around the cake as I began to cut it. I handed everyone there pieces as my mom soon took over to my 'poor cutting skills'.

I laughed handing her the knife before heading over to where Shawn stood.

"Not gonna' have any cake?" I asked resting against the wall beside him.

"If I could I would. But damn those were some good muffins" he said pointing over to the now almost empty muffin tray. I burst out laughing at his playfulness.

I desperately wanted to kiss him and hug him but I knew I couldn't right now.

I heard the tapping of a glass loudly catching my attention. I glanced over to the sound to see my mom standing there with a spoon and a cup in her hand.

"I know it's no sweet sixteenth or a twenty first birthday. But I thought I'd say a few words" my mum said making me bite down on my lip nervously.

"I'd just like to say happy birthday to my baby girl Emily. Yes you will always be my baby girl. No matter if your 2 years old or 70 years old. I'm going to keep this short and just say that I'm so glad I gave birth to such an amazing, respectful girl. You have been through so much in the last few years..." she started, the mention of my past making me look down in awkwardness.

"And I know your father couldn't make it. But we love you very very much. Happy 20th birthday Emmy" she finished. By the end I had tears in my eyes.

My mum always knew the right things to say. She knew how to make me feel better and she was one of my best friends.

A tear slipped down my cheek, quickly wiping it away hoping no one noticed as the music began to play again. I looked over at Shawn to see him staring at me in concern.

"Are you okay?" He asked facing to me about to grab my cheek. I backed away from his hand quickly.

"Shawn there's people" I said sniffling making him quickly put his hand back to his side.

"Fuck sorry" he said regaining his posture his eyes still on me with concern.

"We're talking about this later" he said softly. I nodded making my way over to my mom.

-

A/N: HONESTLY. might just fuck around and triple update. BUT ALSO Does anyone listen to the songs when there reading the book??