Welcome Thomas

Sophia went to get the broom quickly to sweep up the mess, Thomas was trying to collect his thoughts, and the rest of them looked at each other questioning the Druids behavior.

"Have you eaten anything today Yianni, you look a little pale." Petro commented.

"What part of Greece are you from?" Nicholas asked.

"Yeah, you never really told us where you're from." Petro said, glaring at Thomas for an answer.

"Monevasia," Thomas said quickly, sensing that Nicholas wasn't to fond of him.

"From what part of Monevasia?" Petro asked, curious to know anything at all of this stranger.

"Mavroyouni, a small village on the outskirts of Monevasia." The Druid replied, dropping his arms to his sides, and curled his hands into fists.

Sophia walked around the table with the broom and dust pan, moving fast to clean the mess, her arm accidently brushed lightly against the warrior and an electrical current shocked the both of them. The Warrior stiffened and looked down at the young maiden who almost dropped the dust pan. Thomas did not miss the trembling of her hands, nor did he understand why his heart suddenly skipped a few beats.

"I have heard fishing is great in Monevasia, why would you choose to come here to fish?" Nicholas asked, averting his hate filled eyes to his plate.

The Druid did everything he could to calm himself, he was in the verge of killing Nicholas for claiming Sophia as his.

"Who cares why he came, we're just glad that he did!" Uncle John bellowed with laughter, "our pockets have tripled in size since he came, and we are very grateful!"

Petro, who had been eyeing Sophia and Thomas the whole night kept quiet and said not one word. He knew something was brewing between those two, he just didn't know what it was.

Sophia served dinner, and sat herself next to her betrothed. Thomas nearly puked with disgust when Nicholas looked at the young maiden with love, and madness washed over him when Nicholas announced that he and Sophia were going for an evening stroll.

"Uncle may I go?" Sophia asked her uncle out of respect.

"Yes, you are betrothed to him now!" Uncle John replied.

"Thank you uncle John." Turning her attention to Nicholas, she said, "let me clear up the table first and bring out the fruit before we go."

Nicholas nodded, but Thomas could see the impatience in his eyes. Bastard, he thought angrily, and then wondered why he was feeling this way. What did he care if Sophia was betrothed to this man? It wasn't his business what the two of them did! Then why is your gut twisting with pain? He asked himself, as he pulled out a box of cigarettes from his pocket and placed them on the table.

"You smoke?" Petro asked, and reached over to grab a cigarette, "mind if I have one?"

Thomas pulled a cigarette out, and threw the box across the table at Petro. Sophia opened the window to let the smoke out, and after placing a plate of fruits on the table, she smiled shyly at Nicholas and Thomas cursed under his breath.

Uncle John turned his head and faced the Druid. What the hell has happened to Thomas today, he thought, as he brought the glass of wine to his lips and swallowed every last drop of it.

Sophia and Nicholas left through the kitchen door, and Petro's two younger brothers excused themselves from the table.

"Wanna play a game of tavli?" Petro asked Thomas.

"Are you any good?"

"No one has ever beat me at backgammon, I'm the best!" He bragged, and lifted himself to his feet, "come on, I'll wager my entire weeks allowance!"