A New Life

Heather entered the Hilton hotel with Bella tucked in her bag. Walking up to the front desk, she threw a smile to the man behind the counter and his eyes sparkled when he saw her.

Hello sir, I would like a room for a couple of days." She told him, fluttering her eye lashes at him, she had no identification, nor did she have a credit card and hoped her looks would get her a room without too many questions.

"Yes mam, I will need some form of identification and a credit card." He told her. He looked young and not poisoned by society yet.

"I'm sorry my purse was stolen, and thank God I had my cash in my pocket." She said, leaning against the counter and looking straight into his eyes. Lowering her voice to a mere whisper, she said, "please sir, I just came to town and have no place to stay."

The young man looked around the lobby quietly, before he typed a few things on the computer. "I hope I don't lose my job over this, what is your name?"

Heather did not hesitate to give him what he asked for, "Julia Marsh." she lied, happy that he was helping her without asking too many questions.

The young man opened a drawer and pulled out a key card. "Please don't lose this, I don't want to get into trouble by doing you a favor. I'm trusting you Julia." He told her in a low tone of voice

Her eyes fell to his name tag, "Mark, thank you." She said and meant it. Taking the key from his hand, she turned around and walked to the elevator. Bella started to get impatient, and Heather quickly slipped into the elevator before someone realized that something was moving in her bag.

As soon as Julia opened the door to her room, Bella jumped out of the bag, ran through the room, climbed on the huge bed and stretched her furry body. Julia walked in, closed the door behind her, and then she too climbed in the bed, cuddling next to Bella. They both fell asleep instantly, and slept till dinner time. When Julia finally fluttered her eyes open, it took her a moment to adjust to the new room, and then she felt Bella's furry body at her feet and relaxed.

She decided to take a shower, dress, and find a nearby restaurant to have her dinner. She was famished, and craved steak and potatoes. The warm water danced on her bare skin, and Julia closed her eyes enjoying the moment, before she stepped out of the shower and dried herself.

Feeling something move in her stomach, like a little flutter that almost went unnoticed, Julia looked down at herself and decided it was hunger pangs she was feeling, and nothing more. But Bella smiled from ear to ear, her knowing eyes followed Julia out of the bathroom and into the other room where Julia dressed into a beautiful, black knee length dress, that fitted on her body like a second skin. Slipping her feet into a pair of black pumps, Julia walked back into the bathroom to comb her hair.

She realized happily that even if those bad guys come to Chicago to find her, it would be hard for them to recognize her. Her long, blonde hair was now black, and shoulder length, and she dressed in a different style altogether. She felt safe and secure, and she was finally happy.

As she stepped out of the Hilton hotel, Julia pulled her wrap tighter around her shoulders. There was a chill in the air on this crispy night, and she knew they didn't call Chicago the Windy City for nothing. Muttering something unintelligent under her breath, Julia walked along Monroe street, looking for someplace to grab a bite.

Finding a small trendy upscale restaurant and lounge a few blocks away, Julia made her way inside, and was greeted by the hostess, who smiled innocently at her and walked her to a table that was near the window with a beautiful view of the nightlife in the city.

Someone was playing the piano somewhere in the back where the lounge was, and the soft music added a touch of class to the room. Julia looked around and noticed that the bistro's atmosphere was upscale and pleasant, definitely a five star.