The beginning of the end

Stephan lifted his body to his feet and before he reached the opening of the tent, the whore who pleased him all night long, came from behind and wrapped her arms around his tapered waist.

"Will you come back and visit me tonight?" She asked, and her eyes were full of hope, as she pressed her cheek against his muscled back.

Stephan pulled her off him, and stepped out of the tent, "Mayhap, but don't count on it. I'm sure you won't even notice my absence, you will be busy selling yourself to the next warrior who visits the tent." He said arrogantly.

"Bastard!" She hissed, and pulled the flap, closing the entrance way, as she fell back on her pallet and wiped the tears from her eyes.

Stephan took his time walking back to the castle, his mind was clouded with images of Amira, and he didn't even notice that the skies above looked dark and angry. Had he tipped his head back he would have seen the shadows that hid among the clouds, and a line of flying beasts heading east.

Stephan sighed, before he threw his body into the river to cleanse it, enjoying the spring cool water on his body. The warrior was troubled, his thoughts were in turmoil the whole night. Even when he was in the servants room, and in the red tent, his thoughts were on Amira. He imagined it was her he had in his arms, but his arrogance was never going to admit to that!

Soulmate or not, he will never tell her how she has affected him! He sees how William has become slave to his grandmother! So pathetic to watch a man, a warrior act like an imbecile! He thought, as he finished cleansing himself and swam a few laps.

When he finally pulled himself out of the water, he noticed a few hundred feet away, his grandmother who stood with her hands on her hips and an angry scowl on her face. What was she so angry about, he wondered, as he walked towards her not realizing that his mother and Violet stood a few feet away from his grandmother, and they were comforting Amira.

"Your angry looking face doesn't become you grandmother." He told her, and pulled his head back just in time, her right hand had curled into a fist and she tried to box his ear off.

Stephan cursed under his breath and drew his eye brows together. "What hasn't gotten into you!"

"What has gotten into me?" Lidia asked sarcastically? "Explain to me from whence you come from?"

Stephan's nostrils flared and his eyes turned a darker shade of green. "Since when do my whereabouts concern you. I'm a grown man and answer to no one!"

"Watch how you speak to me child, I'm not just another woman from the red tent you just came from, I am your grandmother!" She warned.

Stephan's body stiffened, had she seen from what direction he had come from?

"I'm not your wee grandbabe anymore grandmother, I can come and go as I please!" He told her before he turned abruptly and walked away from her. He was very angry that she dare to question his whereabouts, that he walked right past the other women without even acknowledging their existence.

"I hope it was worth it!" Violet called out to him.

Stephan stopped in his tracks and whirled around. He eyes were cold as his gaze swept from his beloved mother, Kyra, to his great niece, Violet, and then fell onto Amira, who was in tears and glared accusedly at him. Has everyone gone mad, he thought to himself, don't they have anything better to do than follow him around?

The warrior took a few steps forward and crossed his arms. "Let get one thing straight, you are no longer to question my absence! I am a man, and as such, I have the right to go where I please, understood?" He told his soulmate.