Creatures of the night

The forest was thick with trees, bushes and shrubs, and pitch black. The two woman heard the crackling of branches and huddled together fearfully not knowing what was hidden in the dark folds of the forrest. It felt damp, cold, and looked haunting, and the women didn't know what lurked in dark shadows of the forest.

"Where are we?" Violet asked, and tried to stop her teeth from chattering.

"We are in a rain forest." Rebecca whispered, not wanting to alert the night creatures. "Please whisper, we don't want to attract the attention of the creatures of the night!"

"What creatures of the night?"

"There are many creatures that have made their home in this forest, if you listen quietly you will hear them."

Violet stilled herself and her eyes widen with fear when she heard a noise's up in the tree's. "What was that?"

Rebecca rolled her eyes, "That's just an owl, we have nothing to fear from am owl, it's other creatures I'm worried about!" She whispered.

"Is there somewhere we can go and hide? I'm afraid of this place, we are out in the open, which makes us easy prey."

"We are going to have to sleep here tonight, and wait till morning. A wizard that I know of lives in a tiny village up north, it's miles from here, but he may be able to help us." The young girl said.

"How do you know so much about this place, have you been here before?" Violet asked.

"Yes, many times." She said, and paused to take a breath. "I am Prilla's daughter. My mother created this place to protect herself from my father, and to build an army against him and his soulmate."

Violet's heart stopped beating. "Who is your father Rebecca?"

"Kalen." She said simply, as if she were talking about the weather, as if a hundred knifes didn't just spear through Violets heart when she heard those words.

The Druidess slowly inched her arse away from the young girl, but the girls voice stopped her dead on track. "Do not fear me Violet," She said gently. "I will not hurt you. I am your only hope of escape. No one besides my mother knows the mirrors better than I. I have lived here all my life and know my way around. My mother has built over five hundred mirrors in here, and most of the mirrors are a trap. She designed them in a way where if one does not know the maze well, they can be trapped here forever. I used to know my way out, but my mother keeps moving the mirrors around. The wizard who knows everything will help us get out, but we must stay safe until we get to him!"

Violet's mind whirled with a thousand questions. When did Prilla give birth to Kalen's child? Why didn't Kalen tell anyone he sired a child with Prilla? Who did this girl's heart belong to, her daddy or her mommy? Could she trust her? What if her mind was twisted like her mothers? What if she walked her straight into a trap?

Silence followed as they both were lost in their own thoughts. They remained glued to the dirt ground all night, unable to fall asleep, or find peace of mind. They were both not twenty two yet and their powers were limited, and in this world they were trapped in, their powers were almost zero to none. Prilla designed it that way, so she could be the sole powerful one.

The creatures of the night called out hungrily in the dark, and slowly Violet and the young girl inched their way back to each other, not knowing if the creatures were of their world or if they were monsters from this world.

Hours later when the first sign of morning came, and the sun filtered through the canopy of tree's over their head's, it brought forth warmth, and Violet let out a sigh. At least they were safe, she thought, as hunger pangs took over her fear and she looked around for food.