Reports

(Richard moves his family to Middleham for more security, but later brings his family to greet the Infanta of Spain. Richard and Drew view the report by the mortician on William's death. Ralph and Robyn reported back to Richard)

SPRING 1501:

Richard and Drew went through the back door. The mortician greeted Richard with a curtsy bow and handed him the report.

"As you can see, Your Grace, he did have a line of red marking around his neck. It's as if someone tugged a chain and it broke".

"The chain wasn't there when you dressed him?", Richard asked.

"No, Your Grace".

"Was it painful death?", Drew asked.

"He bled out, young Barnley. I doubt it was too painful".

"How many people know about the marking?", Richard read the report.

"Besides the duchess and Miss Barnley, no one".

"Good, I'd like to keep it that way", said Richard, handing the report back to the mortician.

"Was there anyone suspicious that came during the day?", Richard leaned by the table, crossing his arms.

"Not to my knowledge, Your Grace. People here love you and rally with you. Tis' a time of war, Your Grace. Your existence alone is a threat to their house and it's not surprised what they're willing to do".

"Thank you", Richard handed him a pouch of coins and left the place.

The duo walked back home. A lot of people greeted Richard with bows, smiles and blessings. He was a good lord to them and many loved him for his father and grandfather.

"It's dangerous to stay here", said Richard.

"I agree, but with the Infanta coming, I doubt you'll be leaving your wife and child alone", said Drew.

"Have you made the necessary preparations for Dogmersfield?".

"Yes, I have seen to your instructions and the house will be ready when we received them".

"Middleham?".

"Most of the servants have been sent in advance with furnitures to make sure it's ready to live when you arrive".

"Good. Let's go home and make the final pack".

Richard and Drew arrived back at Bedford. Richard headed upstairs to find Freja sulking as she rocked Teddy to sleep.

Richard sat next to her, pushing the loose strands and tucked them behind her ear. "It's for the best".

"But I like it here".

"I know, darling, but I cannot take another risk. When I find out who did it and deal with it, we'll move back here".

"Why Middleham?".

"My father grew up there".

The people of Bedford were saddened that Richard and his family were moving to Middleham, but they understood why. They waved farewell to the family as they moved out.

A FEW DAYS LATER
MIDDLEHAM

Richard was busy replanting plants for the garden. He enjoyed planting, although it was an odd hobby, given his position and it was very uncommon to see a highborn, albeit a bastard, to get down and dirty.

He hoped the oranges would grow nicely, given that winter was over. He wiped the sweat off his brows and turned upon hearing hooves of horses galloping towards the castle.