New Addition

(Arthur, Meg and Harry are interested in learning as they watch Richard train. Richard encounters a slight problem while visiting his father)

SPRING 1499

Arthur, Meg and Harry came scrambling down when they heard their father and half brother were at the garden, doing archery. They sat by their mother, who had Mary next to her and Edmund on her lap.

Richard could hit three targets in a matter of seconds. Henry looked at him, impressed.

"May I try?", Arthur voiced out.

Henry beckoned him and told him how to hold the bow properly. Harry ran to Richard and asked if he could do the same.

"Harry, you're too young!", Lizzie called out.

"It's alright, Lizzie. Let him", said Henry.

Richard's long bow was too big for Harry. He grabbed the smaller one and told Harry how to hold it.

"Now, take the arrow and let it rest slightly above your hand. Pull it back, aim, deep breaths and..., pull".

Harry aimed and did as Richard told him. He released the arrow and the arrow hit the target, although not as good as Arthur did.

Harry sighed and looked down. "I'll never be as good as Arthur".

Richard chuckled and patted Harry's hair. "It's alright, Harry. That's why we practice and one day, you'll be one of the best archer in England".

"Really?".

"Honest", Richard grinned.

"Richie, may I try too?", Meg asked, eager to learn.

Richard chuckled and beckoned her to join in the practice.

THE NEXT DAY

Arthur spotted Richard in his riding clothes with Ralph Brackenbury and the Barnleys. He ran towards them, curious to see where they were going.

"You promise you'd stay!", said Arthur, fearing his brother might leave him again.

Richard turned to him. "Don't worry, brother. I'll be back soon. I'm just heading to Leicester before going up north. I do have lands and estates to manage now".

"Promise?".

"Promise. Don't worry, you won't notice me gone".

GREYFRIARS, LEICESTER

Richard placed fresh white roses on his father's tomb. He would perform his usual prayers..., that was until he heard a commotion outside.

"Not again...", the priest sighed.

"What's going on?", Richard asked, curious to know.

"When the king went to war with the..., pretender, he raised the taxes. A lot of people were unhappy. There's a..., person who would rob the taxes from the sheriff".

"What is he, Robin Hood?", Richard chuckled.

"Well, that's the problem. He's more towards the Sheriff of Nottingham than Hood. He takes the money for himself".

Richard got up from the pews and walked out. The crowd was dragging a child, about Drew's age towards the town centre.

The townspeople threw rotten fruits and vegetables towards the child, which Richard couldn't determine the gender. The child was put in chains that were attached to a pole.

"STOP!!", Richard's voice halted them and the chaos immediately stopped.

"He's a thief, Your Grace! He must be punished!".

The sheriff came out and explained to Richard. The child, a boy by the name of Robyn was an orphan and a troublemaker, who longed for an adventure, but won't last long if he ever leaves this town.

"Have you not try to discipline him?".

"Trust us, Your Grace. We've tried. The boy's resilient".

Richard approached the boy. They may not be far apart of age, but the way both were presented to the public was obvious.

Richard studied the boy, interested when he heard the story. He turned to William and whispered.

"We do need a spy, don't we? I mean, with Margaret around, we need people that's not loyal to her", Richard's voice was as low as to not let the people hear him.

"If he can be coached, then it's fine by me. You do need a messenger that can carry out secrets".

Richard went back to the sheriff. "I'll take the boy off your hands".

"But Your Grace, we must protest! This boy can not be controlled! The only thing this can end with his death", said the sheriff.

Richard turned back to the boy. "Robyn, is it? If I give you a second chance, would you swear your loyal fealty to me? Otherwise, it would mean your death".

"That depends, do we get to get out of here?".

"Yes, I'm heading north".

"Alright, let's get going", said Robyn, somehow got loosed from the chains around his wrists, surprising Richard.

"Yes, you'll do", said Richard before walking towards his horse.

Robyn traveled in the litter with Sarah, who gave him some bread and ale. Drew handed Robyn one of his old jacket to keep warm.

"May I know why?", asked Robyn as he opened the window.

"I see potential in you. I am in need of your service".

"Do I get to see the king?".

"No, you probably won't. I heard you like adventures. Being a messenger should do the trick for you".

"What did you do with the money that you stole?", asked William.

Robyn was silent at first. "I secretly gave to the poor people, my lord. If I had kept it to myself, I would've been dead not for long".

Richard laughed. "Looks like we have found ourselves a Robin Hood".