Aftermath

(Richard finally step up and make a decision for his own good.
PS: slight alter, I know Duchess Cecily died in 1495, but just bear with me. It's for the plot)

Margaret of York and Duchess Cecily swallowed the news. They've truly lost this time.

"Richard?".

"His Grace tried to stop the execution, but he was too late".

"Where is he now?".

LONDON

Richard walked in when the king had summoned him. Henry looked at Richard and felt horrible.

Margaret and Lizzie were by his side. Nearby were Sir Richard Pole and Henry's secretary.

Lizzie tried to embrace her son, but Richard stopped her. He couldn't even look at her after Ralph told him what she had done.

"She had him signed a confession. They said it was an empty paper. The earl signed, not knowing it would be his death warrant", Ralph's words rung in Richard's head.

"Please sit, Your Grace", he said.

"No, thank you", said Richard.

"This is not a place to show your insubordination, bastard", Margaret Beaufort chimed in.

"Say whatever you have to say. After that, I will leave", said Richard.

"Leave? I did not approve of Arthur to return back to Wales", said Henry.

"I've resigned my guardianship of the Prince of Wales to Sir Richard Pole".

Henry gulped. He took a moment to compose himself.

"He had conspired against the crown, Richard. Traitors must be dealt with as they should. Otherwise, they would think I am weak and soft", said Henry.

Richard scoffed. "Is that all you have to say?".

"No, in fact, I have something for you", said Henry, producing a scroll.

"You are to be made Earl of Warwick, for your service to your king".

Richard looked at him, as if he had lost his mind. He knew now why they gave it to him - to make sure he was completely cut off from his York family.

"Are you mocking me? You want to turn my family against me?!", Richard felt his world began to crumble.

"Why are you so surprised? You are, after all, your father's son", said Margaret.

"Mother, please!".

"Your father had the princes killed and assumed the throne. What difference between you and him?", Margaret continued.

Richard glared at her. God, he wanted to just kill her now.

"Will that be all, Your Grace?", Richard asked.

"Yes, that would be all, Warwick", said Henry.

"Richard, please understand", Lizzie wanted to implore, but Richard cut her off.

"No, Your Grace. I don't understand and I don't want to".

Richard walked to the door and stopped. "I hope your sons will be better rulers than you'll ever be", he said before leaving.

Richard held his head up high and walked towards the stable, ignoring people's whispers. Only at the hidden spots of the stables did he finally broke down.

The next day, Richard had packed most of his possessions to finally leave London. It was still early and he didn't want to face anyone today.

As William and Ralph loaded the last coffer, the door was pushed opened. There, Arthur stood, in his shift and robe.

"Where are you going, Richie?".

"Away, Your Grace".

"I told you to not call me that".

Richard gripped the rein to his horse, Pepper. He was at the verge of tears, but he cannot let Arthur see him like this.

"I'm leaving, Your Grace. I won't come back".

"Why? You're supposed to be my guardian. How are you to keep me safe if you leave?".

"Don't you get it, Arthur?! I never belong here! Yesterday, they made it clear to me! My mother! My own mother executed an innocent man to secure an alliance for YOU! I can't stay here anymore. I can't even look at her after what she did".

"You told me a family would always stick together!".

"Family? Didn't you hear me, Your Grace? I never belong here. I don't have a family anymore. My father's dead. My mother had betrayed me and my cousin is dead. I don't have a family anymore".

The rest of Richard's siblings came to the door to see the interaction between their brothers. Margaret, Meg as she had taken to call herself lately, worried Richard will leave.

"So, you're just going to abandon us? You promise to be with us always!", said Arthur.

"It's better that way. It's better if I leave".

Harry ran and hugged Richard's leg. "Don't go, Richie! I promise I'll be good!".

Meg and Mary ran to hug Richard, but Richard gently pushed them back. He wanted to cry, but he can't show it in front of them.

"Richie, please don't go!", Meg cried.

"Richie, please! Stay with us", said Mary.

"I'm so sorry", Richard quickly hopped on to his horse and rode off, ignoring the cries of his younger siblings, begging him to come back.

SALISBURY

Richard arrived with Teddy's body to be handed over to Maggie for the funeral. Maggie was distraught and devastated.

"I'm so sorry, Maggie. I thought I could save him", Richard hung his head low.

Maggie couldn't look at Richard and proceeded to walk away. Richard wanted to go after her, but Pole stopped him.

"Let her be, Richard", said Pole before joining his wife.

Pole must've told her what happened..., or what Tudors wanted him to tell her. Richard didn't have the heart to face her and watched the funeral from afar.

Richard can't go back to Burgundy. They must've heard what happened and they probably would shun him out too. He is alone now.

William approached Richard. He felt his heart ached seeing him like this.

"Perhaps, we should head back to Bedford. Lay low for a while?".

Richard could only nod, feeling all of his energies slipped away. He hopped on his horse and rode off back home.