New Life

(Richard, Teddy and The Barnleys laid low)

SPRING 1498:

13 year old Richard and 23 year old Teddy Plantagenet sat by the shore, hidden by the surrounding tall white cliffs of Dover. William and Sarah went to buy some food while Drew had made himself a spear using some wood he had found to catch some fish at the shallow part of the water.

"I miss Maggie", said Teddy.

"I know, Teddy. I miss them too", said Richard, referring to his siblings.

"When can we go home?", asked Teddy.

"I don't think we can go home, Teddy. They want you dead and I can't let that happen", said Richard.

Teddy rest his head on Richard's shoulder, sobbing. He missed Maggie, his older sister and wanting nothing more than to see her again.

Richard planned on going to Spain, but he had nothing to bargain for. The Spanish wanted him and Teddy dead, so there will be no more claimants to the throne.

He sighed, feeling lost for a while. If they escaped England, where could they go?

William, Drew and Richard had built a small hut nearby as a temporary house. That night, while Sarah and Teddy slept, the trio sat by the fire.

"Tell me again about the curse", said William.

"Whoever kill the Princes of The Tower, Death shall take their sons and their sons' sons, ending their line with a barren girl", said Richard.

"Your father and the king both benefit from their death. For your father - he was next in line of the throne. For Henry - if he eliminated your father, the throne was his to take without any other claimant present", said William.

"True, they benefit from their deaths, but at what cost? If Margaret truly ordered their deaths as she said that night, meaning she had doomed my brothers from the start", said Richard.

"But if your father was the one who really did it, then...", Drew wanted to say it, but he's afraid.

"I know. I'm already a dead man. Sooner or later, Death shall have me", said Richard.

"Your father would never have done it. He loved his brother. He's no monster like how the Tudors painted him to be", said William.

"But, for as long as Warbeck, if he truly is my uncle, Teddy and I live, Tudors will never be safe. He's already marching in with the Scots, French and Irish alliances", said Richard.

"He even signed on every proclamation as RR - Ricardus Rex, King Richard IV Of England", said William.

"More like Beaufort wants you dead. She's been at it ever since forever", said Drew.

"I want to go and fight, but I don't think the king would trust me", said Richard.

"He would..., if you rally the lords to fight for England, not Warbeck", said William.

Richard nodded, devising a plan. "I think it's time we meet up with them, no?".

MEANWHILE

Henry dismissed the council as he stared at the map and the pawns on it. Without the northern lords, he was fighting a lost battle.

They rallied with him once, but that was when Richard was with them. He was the beloved Prince of York, despite his legitimacy.

His children, mainly Arthur, had resented him for Richard's imprisonment. Despite Lizzie and Margaret's efforts, Arthur was having none of it. He had forged a bond with Richard, whom he looked up to and loved.

Suddenly, Earl of Surrey had entered and bowed before Henry. He approached the king with an information.

"Rumours are flying that people have spotted the Duke of Gloucester, somewhere around Dover", said Surrey.

Henry frowned. Richard had always been careful, how come he had let himself be seen?

"There's also rumour the northern lords are waiting to see which side he will take", said Surrey again.

"And?", Henry anticipated.

"Most are hoping His Grace to side with Warbeck, being a Yorkist himself, but Your Grace..., if I'm being honest, I'm sure His Grace will take your side", said Surrey.

Henry scoffed. "I imprisoned him, Surrey. I doubt he would take my side".

"He won't do it for your sake, Your Grace. To my knowledge, he would do it for the love of his mother and siblings. Perhaps, you can endear him to your side".

Henry contemplated for a moment. "Find Gloucester. Do not take him in, just let me know where he is hiding. I will speak to him myself".

Surrey nodded and left to execute Henry's order. Henry leaned back, hoping this path would bring him victory.

DOVER

Richard opened his eyes. Everyone, but him was asleep. He got up, slipped his cloak on and walked towards the water.

He had this feeling for a while, but he refused to admit it. He feared for John's life, but, like him, John has no way to claim the crown despite being the illegitimate son of the late King Richard.

Nevertheless, he was his brother. John and Katherine were the only connection Richard had to their father.

He walked towards the sea until the cool water rested below his knees. He held the pendant in his hand, slowly dropping it into the water.

"Lady Mother, I called upon you. Please, I must see you", Richard whispered as he closed his eyes.

The waves calmed for a moment. The wind blew and when Richard opened his eyes, Melusina appeared before him.

"Yes, child?".

"My brother John, I no longer sensed him. I fear the worse", said Richard.

"I do not sense him. He's not part of my line, therefore, I can not tell if he's alive or dead".

"I'm afraid, Lady Mother. I do not know what to do anymore. I want to request the alliance, but in order for that to happen, I must die. Teddy must die. They insist upon it".

"Why do you care so much for the usurper's offsprings? They do not owe you anything, child".

"They are my siblings, Lady Mother. They are my mother's children. Like it or not, I have a duty towards them", said Richard.

Melusina smiled. "You will be a great king one day".

"One more thing, Lady Mother".

"Yes?".

"Who killed the princes? Surely, you must know".

"I'm no seer, my child. I can not see who has harmed them, I only know when they have passed".

"If Warbeck is truly one of them, killing him would only doomed them", said Richard with a worried face.

"They've already doomed themselves when they killed his brother. It would not make any difference now. Their line would end with a barren girl".