The King and The Prince

(Love vs duty. Henry vs Harry, although the show doesn't really make sense since Harry was supposed to be 12 after Lizzie passed away.

A/N: one thing I learned from GoT - love is the death of duty and duty is the death of love. Also, I may switched things up a bit from the show.

A/N 2: I probably should make collage but not for all chapters 😂 I might be distracted from writing

A/N 3: this story has passed 500 votes. Thank you for the love and support ❤️)

Richard followed Drew out, both ran fast. They saw the father and son battling it out and Richard and Drew had to pry them off of each other.

"Enough!! Both of you!!", Richard's voice bellowed, stopping those two.

Richard turned to his brother. "Harry, walk it off. Now".

"Why are you defending him?!", Harry argued.

"Because I'm the king!", Henry yelled.

"Harry. Walk. It. Off", Richard stood over his brother.

Freja arrived with Stafford. She gently tugged Harry away, who huffed, but went along with her.

Richard turned to the king. "Is this how a king should behave?".

"Why don't you tell me then?", Henry spat back.

"You are a king, so act like one!".

Drew and Stafford tugged Richard away from the king. They walked to the garden to cool off the anger.

"You can't speak like that to a king", said Stafford.

"Did you hear? His plan to marry Catherine?", asked Richard.

"I don't think he'll go through with it. He loves your mother, much like you and your wife", said Stafford.

"And now those two are fighting..., over a girl. Don't you see how ridiculous this is?", Richard ran his fingers through his curls, tugging them to restrain his anger.

"I have faith that you can sort this out", Stafford patted his back.

Freja and Harry were walking nearby. Stafford and Richard bowed to Harry.

"Forgive me of my tone, Your Grace", said Richard.

"Richie, you can't let him do that! If anyone should marry Catherine, it should be me! He's too old!", said Harry.

"There are others who opposed your union to her, Your Grace. That's why the king thought it's better for him to wed her instead of you", said Stafford.

"I don't care. Richie, you have to do something", said Harry.

Richard leaned by the tree, sighing. "I will do my best".

"My Lord Stafford, could you escort the prince to his next lesson? I'd like to have a word with my husband, privately", said Freja.

"Come, Your Grace. We shall have fun elsewhere", Stafford beckoned the young prince.

Harry and Stafford left, leaving behind Drew, Richard and Freja. Freja gently combed Richard's curls away from his face.

"I'm sure everything will be fine", she assured him.

"Either that or we prepare for another civil war", Drew sighed.

Suddenly, Sarah came running. Richard groaned, already felt the headache coming in.

"You Barnleys better bring me some good news".

"It's the princess. I was walking to find Lady Pole and overheard some Lady Beaufort's ladies. They said she plans to tell the princess to leave. I think because she questioned both the princess and Lady Pole of the princess' marriage to Arthur and I don't think she liked the answer", Sarah panted, tired from running around in search for Richard.

Richard frowned again. "Why can't these Tudors let me catch a break?", he said as he proceeded to go to Catherine's quarters, followed by his wife and the Barnleys.

They arrived just as Margaret stepped out of Catherine's private quarters. Margaret chuckled, knowing Richard would be here.

"It has been decided. I want her out of here!".

"You have no power. Only the king can cast someone out", Richard gritted his teeth.

"My son is indisposed, as you've witnessed. I am regent, therefore I am king".

That didn't go to well for Margaret when Richard grabbed her collars and slammed her to the wall. Seeing the towering young duke was like seeing the ghost of his father.

"I've had enough of your nonsense", Richard was seething with anger.

Freja pulled her husband off of the old woman. "Forgive my husband, Your Grace".

"Your husband is over stepping his place. He needs to be reminded of who he is", said Margaret.

"I know who I am! It is you who needs to remind you how you got here! When the king passes, we'll see who will be begging for power".

Margaret picked up her skirts and left. Freja asked Drew to fetch some wine to be brought back to their private quarters for Richard.

She rubbed his arms, trying to cool off his anger. Richard turned and bowed before Catherine.

"Forgive me, Your Highness. I didn't mean for you to see that".

"What happens to me now, Lord Gloucester? I can't leave England! I have no place to go to", Catherine asked.

"If it's true, where can she go, husband?", asked Freja.

"Maybe we can have her back in Bedford. Away from all these", Sarah suggested.

"I will not leave court! I will not", Catherine stood her grounds.

Richard pinched the bridge of his nose. "No one is leaving to anywhere, alright?", he exasperated.

Richard turned to Sarah. "Stay with Her Highness. Report back to me if that hag shows up again".

Sarah nodded. Richard turned to Catherine and grasped her hands.

"All shall be well. I'm sure..., everything will be resolved soon".

Catherine nodded. "You are a kind man, Lord Gloucester. I will be sure to return this kindness when I am queen".

Richard went back to his rooms with his wife. Hilda and Celia were given the rest of the day off by Freja.

She picked William up and sat on the bed next to Richard, who was faced down with his boots, still laced on his legs, hanging off the bed. She poked her husband.

"Can you please take them off first?".

Richard rose his head from his pillow, hair covered his face. "I need to cut my hair".

Richard took off his boots and his outer clothes, leaving him with his pants and shift before resuming his position in bed. William eyes his father and frowned.

"Yes, William. Your father is being silly", said Freja.

"I'm not silly. I'm just tired and I want to go home", Richard's muffled voice can be heard.

"All shall be well".

Richard rose again and scooted closer to see his son. He pushed his hair back, causing the baby to smile.

"He's smiling", Richard smiled.

William stretched his tiny arm to his father. Richard gently nibbled on his little fingers, causing the baby to kick his legs, smiling even wider.

A knock came. Richard groaned and rolled his eyes before getting up and opened the door to Drew with the jug of wine..., and a letter.