Burgundy Part 2

(A/N: I may have screwed with the timeline. Oops, sorry)

SEPTEMBER 1494:

Jasper looked over at Richard, who was riding next to William. The boy was as calm as the wind, yet Jasper was the one who was nervous.

He told Henry of his worries about bringing Richard to Burgundy. He even told Henry of his suspicion against William.

PREVIOUS NIGHT

William tucked the children before heading to bed. When he got to his room, Jasper was sitting by the fire.

"My lord? Is everything alright?", asked William.

"I know you've been updating about Richard to Burgundy", said Jasper.

William remained calm. "Am I to be executed then?", he asked.

Jasper chuckled. "If I have you killed, Richard will murder me. No one in this castle can best him in sword fight yet", he said.

"I was hired by Duchess Cecily, to keep update on her grandson", William confessed.

"And then what? Sneak him away to Burgundy?", Jasper implied.

"That was the plan..., until Warbeck showed up. Since Warbeck claimed to be the son of Edward, he should have better claim to the throne than Richard", said William.

"So if I take him with me to Burgundy tomorrow, would they try to take him?", asked Jasper.

"I doubt it, my lord. The duchess asked me to find evidence of Richard's legitimacy. I tried looking and found nothing. So, the last letter I've received was that Margaret Of York made the decision to move forward with Warbeck and asked me to care for Richard as usual", William explained.

"Do you think Richard is a legitimate son of the old king?", asked Jasper again.

William shrugged. "Perhaps, you should ask the queen. She is, after all, his mother", he said.

Jasper nodded and got up. "I will not have you executed or exiled. Richard loves you far too much. You and I care for him and I'd like to keep things the way it should be. You may update of his progress as usual, but nothing more", he said.

"They will know something has gone astray", said William.

"Henry has won the crown by the rights of conquest. There is no contest, unless Warbeck himself would like to challenge him for the crown", said Jasper before leaving the room.

William sighed in relief. He has been outed and must remained careful for the sake of the children.

PRESENT DAY

Richard boarded the ship that'll take them to Burgundy. He was to stay in a room with Jasper himself.

"Are you excited? This is your first adventure", said Jasper, lighting the hearth.

"What would they think of me?", asked Richard.

"One could hope good things, Richard. They may not side us, but they are your family. I promised the king and queen I'd look after you", said Jasper.

"May I ask another question?", asked Richard.

Jasper nodded. "I'm the son of the old king. Why does King Henry is nice to me?", asked Richard.

Jasper sighed. "He..., understood what it's like to grow without his father. Yes, I was with him throughout his life, but I wasn't his father. I think..., he loves your mother and wants to see her happy", he said.

Richard nodded, seemingly understanding what Jasper had told him. He asked to be excused and left the room.

Richard went up deck. He let the wind blew onto his face. Jasper, who walked up not long after Richard, studied the young duke.

Richard looked so much like the old king. With no doubt, when he reached adulthood, he'd be the spitting image of the dead king.

At night, Jasper found the boy high up the crow's nest. The captain had told the young duke to go to bed, but he still climbed up to watch the stars.

One of the sailors had went up to fetch Richard, but Richard had already fallen asleep. Jasper told the sailor to cover Richard with a blanket and let him be.

As they arrived, they were greeted with such grand entrance. Richard walked right next to Jasper, feeling wary of such gesture.

Margaret Of York and Duchess Cecily gasped to see the boy next to Jasper Tudor. His dark curls and eyes proved who he was without a doubt.

"May I present His Graces, Lord Jasper, Duke of Bedford and Lord Richard, Duke of Gloucester", Richard and Jasper bowed before the Burgundian royalties.

Duchess Cecily made the first approached with her cane. Richard turned to Jasper, who nodded.

"Do you know who I am, Richard?", asked Duchess Cecily.

Richard nodded. "You're my grandmother", he said.

Duchess Cecily hugged Richard. She kissed his forehead and cheeks, smiling at her grandson.

"Perhaps, our guest would like to refresh themselves?", Mary of Burgundy suggested.

"Please, we've prepared rooms for you", said Margaret Of York.

"Come, Richard. You must be tired", Jasper beckoned.

"I think I'm still capable of looking after my grandson. Don't let the cane fool you, my lord", said Duchess Cecily.

"It's ok, my lord. I'll be alright", Richard tried to reassure Jasper.

Jasper sighed and nodded. He and his men were guided away, including William.

"Did they hurt you?", Margaret Of York hurried to Richard.

Richard shook his head. "They've been kind to me, Your Grace", he said.

"You don't have to lie to them, Richard", said Duchess Cecily.

"I'm not. Lord Jasper has looked after me for years. I have William and his children by my side too", said Richard.

"Weren't you supposed to be under Margaret's care?", asked Margaret Of York.

"Maggie is married to Lord Pole now. Lord Jasper took me when I was two years old. I visit her sometimes and I write to her as often as I can", said Richard.

"What about..., Elizabeth Woodville?", asked Margaret Of York.

"I usually see her at Bermondsey Abbey whenever I go to the capital", said Richard.

"Why did they bestow you Duke of Gloucester?", asked Duchess Cecily.

Richard shrugged. "I guessed it's of goodwill. The king loves his queen and since I'm her son, he gave me this title", he said.

That didn't make any sense to both of the ladies. Nevertheless, they went along with it.

"Come, you must be tired", said Duchess Cecily.