Saving Stafford

(Richard refuses to face Henry, but Stafford is family. Family must come first)

"I was trying to comfort the queen!".

"But why? Why did the Queen needed comfort?".

"Because she needed help", everyone turned to see Lady Gloucester, dressed almost as regal as a queen, despite in black.

Freja stepped forward and stood next to Stafford. "I was looking for my husband because I thought he was with my Lord Stafford. I found Stafford, but not my husband. We went looking for him, worried he might do something stupid, and we found Her Grace in need of help, so we helped her back to her chambers. Of course, my Lord Stafford had to carry her. I couldn't possible do so".

"I didn't see you that night", Boleyn spoke.

"The question now, Sir Thomas, what were YOU doing in the Queen's chamber? At night, no less. God forbid a man like you to be in Her Grace's chamber without the king's presence", Freja spoke with authority.

Everyone murmured. Freja gave him a split second smirk, seeing a flustered Boleyn trying to find words to argue with her. She turned to the king and went down to her knees.

"Last time, I begged on my knees for you to spare my husband and I lost my son instead. Today, I beseech you, King Henry Tudor, the most gracious and merciful, please, spare my dear Lord Stafford. He has done nothing wrong and his charges are baseless and absurd. I beseech you, Your Grace", Freja bowed her head down.

"Where is my brother?", Henry asked.

"He is still in mourning, Your Grace".

"Still? You are more than fit to bear children. One boy can be replaced", said Henry.

Catherine watched as Freja rose her head, her soft eyes now filled with rage. Freja kept her composure and stood up.

"One child can not replace the other. My Richard can never be replaced..., but how would you know? Was is it easy for you to simply replace one child after the other?".

Henry stood in anger. Catherine stood between them, facing Freja and shaking her head.

"My husband would agree. One child can never replace the other. If this is how you treat your most loyal friends, I will not be surprised how you treat your children, Your Grace".

"Sister, have care of how you speak", Henry growled in between his words.

"Or what? Kill me and you risk having your country invaded. Strip me of my title? Same outcome. Why don't you ask your new friends? I'm sure they have a solution", Freja said, mocking him.

"Shut up!", Henry bellowed.

"Freja please, don't", Catherine begged.

"I am a descendant of great warriors..., of Vikings. I do not fear death. I do not fear men like you", Freja held her head high.

"Freja, please...", Stafford whispered, using her first name as he grasped her arm.

"I beseech you, Your Grace. How many more of us must die for you to satisfy your need?", Freja's voice and expression softened.

"Perhaps it is my brother then. He dealt with the devil and witchcraft. That's what people have been saying", Henry looked manic.

"I wonder where he learned that. Oh wait..., she was your mother too", Freja spoke, confidently.

Henry would've charged her, but Wolsey held him back. Wolsey nudged his head at the door, telling her to leave.

She curtsied to the men and Catherine, and kissed Catherine's hand. She turned to Stafford and kissed his arm. "All shall be well, dear Stafford", she smiled before leaving the room.

Stafford returned to his cell and found Richard on his bed. In his hand, there was a wooden carved of a lion.

"Do you remember Teddy?", Richard asked.

"Your first born? How could I forget? You named him after me", Stafford chuckled, but Richard didn't.

"No, Lady Pole's brother", said Richard.

Stafford chuckled. "I'd like to think you named your first born after me".

Richard chuckled this time. "Maggie told me how I used to play with him when I was but a baby. I sat in a cell like this for trying to communicate with John. Last time, my dear lady mother started a fire so Warbeck and I can escape".

"Why are you here, Richard?".

Richard stood up and set the lion on the table. "I will do my best to get you out".

"It's no use, Richard. It's no use".

"Why must you give up hope? If I said I will get you out, then I shall do so".

"To go against Henry? With what? You will be risking your family, your children and those close to you. I will be alright, cousin. Go home".

"I used to think you may have conspired to kill my first born, but I knew it wasn't you".

"Was it old King Henry?".

"No, it wasn't him. It was his supporters".

"Really? I thought it was his mother...".

"He was a great king. Even I was fooled by him. He was afraid".

"The curse?".

Richard nodded. "It had took my sons and his. We do not know who had done it".

"How do you plan on saving me?".

Richard smiled, genuinely. "It wouldn't be a surprise if I tell you".

"You can't just march in and tell them to let me go. Boleyn will laugh at you".

"My dearest Edward, do not fret. I have a plan".

He was about to leave, but he halted. He turned around, smirking.

"I will take your secret to the grave".

"What secret?".

"One of my men saw you and the Queen in here. One thing I learned from Margaret Beaufort was to have eyes and ears everywhere".

Edward recounted the day before. Catherine had visited, pleading to him and asking him to beg the king for forgiveness.

"For you, my queen..., I will beg", he said.

Both stood close. Once again, he had dared to kiss her, the lips this time.

Catherine's cheeks turned a tint of pink. She kissed him back, but very briefly. She turned around one last time before leaving the cell.

"I..., love her. Perhaps, I always have".

"You? Love?".

"If you're going to nag at me, lady mother, just kill me now", Stafford chuckled.

Freja entered and shut the door quickly. "The king has decreed..., that you are to be beheaded for high treason".

Stafford seemed to resign his fate. That was until Richard pulled a scroll out.

"Read this".

Stafford opened the seal and read, wide eyes in the end. "You're not? No..., you can't...".

"Why not? I have every right".

"You can't do this just because of me!".

"We are of the same blood. If Henry can do this to you, surely, those who decided to go against him in this..., Great Matter, will perish. I'm not willing to see my daughter and sons' tiny head hacked off their bodies".

"It's too risky!".

"Edward, you just sit and wait. I have an escape plan for you".

(PS: I found this and it's absolutely perfect -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aymCEubk-uY)