England-Sweden

(England and Sweden unify)

1531

Italics - Swedish

18 year old Astrid Katheryn looked at herself in the mirror as she wore her new white dress with gold thread embroided all over the dress. Her ladies tied her hair up and placed the daisy circlet on her head.

Astrid Katheryn looked down to her hand, where the sapphire stone rest on her finger. Her betrothed, Prince Ivar gave it to her two years ago.

FLASHBACK, 1529

Richard arrived in Sweden, with all of England's splendour. Henri and Mary ruled as regents with Catherine and Stafford to guide them.

Freja smiled as she set her eyes on the land she once called home. Richard kissed her temple, loving to see her happy.

"Are you pleased to be home?", he asked.

Freja turned to him with a smile. "Home is you and our children. It doesn't matter where I am, as long as we have each other, that is home".

They were received with great glory. Many bowed to the Plantagenets, including Richard's in-laws.

"Brother, welcome to our humble abode", Erik embraced Richard.

"Ivar, come. Do you remember Astrid?", Gunnhild beckoned her son to step forward.

"Astrid, step forward", Richard held out his hand for his oldest daughter to take.

Both 17 year olds step forward. Ivar had dark hair, but his eyes..., that striking blue eyes he had inherited from Erik that drew Astrid Katheryn Plantagenet to him.

"Remember your manners, Ivar", said Erik.

Ivar bowed before his cousin. "Welcome, cousin. I am Ivar".

"I remember you", she smiled as she curtsied to him.

Under the watchful eyes of her ladies in waiting and his tutors, Ivar and Astrid Katheryn took a walk in the garden. Ivar plucked a daisy and gave it to her.

"I know it's hard. You'll be staying here..., away from your family", said Ivar.

"It is my duty as a princess. My mother did it and so did Lady Buckingham. They both left home to serve their country. If they can do it and be happy now, why can't I?".

"How do you know you will be happy?", he asked, frowning.

She gave him a smile. "We can be happy, just as our parents".

Ivar's eyes pulled her to him, just as her smile pulled him to her. He grabbed her hand and both made a run from their guardians.

Richard and Erik watched as Ivar took off with Astrid Katheryn. They watched as Ivar took her behind a tree, away from their guardians.

Underneath the large apple tree, Ivar kissed his soon to be bride. His older brother told him of what the first kiss meant and he wanted to be sure. The moment his lips touched hers, he knew.

Ragnar and his younger Swedish cousins, Hvitserk, Frederick and Ubbe peaked from a distance. Hvitserk grabbed a small rock and threw at the young couple, startling them.

The boys ran as Ivar chased them off. Astrid Katheryn stood there, giggling at the sight. At that point, she knew.

Before leaving, Ivar presented her with a ring. A gold ring with a sapphire stone, adorned with tiny diamonds surrounding the stone.

PRESENT DAY

Astrid Katheryn arrived at Westminster Abbey and met up with her father at the front door. Ivar made the decision to wed her in England and then, take her to Sweden.

Astrid may have her face covered with the sheer veil, but she knew her father can see her tears. Richard kissed her forehead as he sobbed.

"You may go with your husband, but you are first and foremost, my daughter, my beloved daisy", he said.

Astrid turned to the two men her father trusted the most. She grabbed their hands and smiled.

"Will you promise to take care of Papa when I'm not around?", she asked.

"We've been with him longer than you ever did", said Drew.

"You don't have to tell us. We would give our lives to him, his family and this country any day", said Robyn.

Astrid chuckled. "I will surely miss you both".

"And me?", Richard spoke.

"I will miss you the most, my dearest Papa".

Freja walked out and smiled at the sight. She wiped her tears before joining them.

"We will always be here, Astrid", Freja rest her hand on Astrid's chest.

Astrid grasped her mother's hand. "I know, Mama. You always tell me that".

Henri poked his head from the church. "Are you guys done? Ivar thinks you've run off".

Richard held out his arm for Astrid to take. He escorted her in and to Ivar. Richard took his place next to Freja at the pews.

He watched his oldest daughter joined in matrimony. He remembered the day when Freja came to Saleby, bringing Astrid to him for the first time.

He remembered, while mourning on the lost of one of his dearest friends, he met Astrid for the first time. He held her, while soaked in tears that he had shed for Ralph.

Richard watched her blossomed to the woman before him today. He watched her grew gracefully, carrying herself with grace and dignity.

Astrid Katheryn reminded Richard so much of her mother. It pained him to watch her become someone else's. It pained him to let her go when all this time, he had kept her safe and sound.

But he smiled. He smiled seeing his little girl happy on this blessed day. He smiled every time she smiled.

Astrid hugged him. She was raised with so much love and care that she will do the same when she has children soon.

"Papa, thank you. For everything. I love you so much and I will never forget you and our family for as long as I live. I will tell my children all about you. I will make sure your legacy lives on".

Richard kissed her forehead again. "I would give my life for you, all of you. I would go to Hell and back if it means to keep all of you safe".

Richard waited by the docks as he watched her daughter sailed away with her husband. While everyone else returned to the palace, he stayed by the docks, even when the ship has disappeared into the horizon.

He smiled, knowing that everything will be alright.