Death of Stanley

A/N: Here's my updated schedule for this story. I plan on post every 24 hours or so and maybe I probably skip either Saturday or Sunday, but I'll try not to since I've written up till the end of season 1 of TSP.

(Richard crosses another name)

LATE 1503 - MID 1504

Richard woke up with a headache. He looked up to find Harry and Stafford.

"If you weren't a royal duke, no one would look twice at you", said Harry.

Stafford offered a hand and pulled Richard up. Richard dusted off the hays off of him. He turned to see both Drew and Robyn still asleep.

"I'm offended that you didn't invite me, cousin", Stafford chuckled.

"I've looked for you. I couldn't find you", Richard yawned.

They returned to Richard's private quarters. Richard changed a new shirt and jacket before walking out.

"Can we practice sword fighting?", Harry suggested.

Richard groaned. "Can we do something else?".

"Archery?", Stafford chimed in.

"Tennis?", Harry said.

"That sounds better".

While playing, Catherine and her ladies happened to pass by. Harry set his racket down to speak with Catherine.

Stafford was talking to Rosa while Lina approached Richard. Richard scooted over and offered her to sit with him.

"I do not see Lady Gloucester. Is she well? I'm so sorry for your loss".

"She'll be fine. She's with her mother and brother in Bedford", Richard smiled.

"She is young. You and her will have many children".

Richard sighed as he watched Harry and Catherine, not to mention Stafford and Rosa. He turned to Lina.

"I just want you to know that the princess will be safe here. The dispensation is on the way and let us hope it will satisfy the father and son, not to mention your master, Queen of Spain".

"I agree. Let there be peace, although, the king's mother is heavily against this".

Richard snorted. "You let me worry about her. I know what to do".

"I would like to thank you, for defending us against her".

"Why was she there that day?".

"She asked about Her Highness and your late brother. She said it was impossible that they never consummated their marriage".

"Lina, I want you to know that I won't hurt you. I will not let anyone cast the princess out. Whatever happens, we can't let Margaret Beaufort wins. You want to protect the princess and I have a promise to keep. We both keep our end of the bargains, perhaps, we may sleep soundly when those two are married. If there is any problem, come straight to me".

"Thank you, Your Grace. You are very kind, not many are like you in this place".

Richard noted that Stafford and Rosa were gone. "How long have those two been at it?", he asked.

"A while now", Lina answered.

"If he hurts her, tell me".

"He will when he tires of her".

Richard shook his head and rubbed his temples. People often wondered why he never had a mistress when the answer was and had always been simple.

"Is that why you refuse a mistress?", Lina asked.

"People will get hurt, Lina. I've seen far too much of pain and I don't want to cause any more pain that I already have", he fiddled the pendant.

"They said you are the son of the king before King Henry. What was he like?", Lina changed the subject.

Richard shrugged and looked up to the sky. "I wish I knew".

THE NEXT DAY

Harry sighed as he plopped on the bed. "Why can't I come with you? I'm stuck in here like a prisoner. Mary can go with you, it's not fair!".

Richard sat next to him and hugged him. "I wish I can take you with me. I really do".

"Is it true? The dispensation is on its way?".

Richard nodded. "Rest assured, when the time comes, you and Catherine will wed".

Harry hugged his brother back. "Thanks, Richie! I knew you'd help!".

"But wait!", Harry gasped, "Lady grandmother said I won't be marrying her".

"When you are king, she has to listen to you".

"What if father dies before I'm of age?".

"He has appointed me Lord Protector. You and I will rule until you're old enough to do so on your own".

Harry nodded. He hugged his brother again before Richard had to leave for the North.

Of course, by overseeing his estates, Richard had plans for his next move - Thomas Stanley. Richard had Robyn studied Stanley's moves and he knew where Stanley would be.

Richard and his entourage arrived in Bedford to celebrate Christmas. He brought Mary to stay with his wife whilst he went off, after New Year of 1504, to strike another name off his list.

They made the journey to Leicester and then, towards Pontefract. From there, Richard, Drew and Robyn disguised themselves as travellers and headed to Lancashire.

Richard had made arrangements for a room at a small inn to be rented to the three of them. Richard received regular reports on Stanley's health before and after the poison was administered through Stanley's staffs that Richard had bribed. (psst, bribery is bad)

Unlike Strange, it was a bit faster since Sarah had increased the dosage. Richard waited, for several months, until Stanley was bedridden with illness. Richard had gained access to Stanley through the bribed staffs.

Stanley woke up and saw Richard in the darkest corner of his room. He was surprised the young boy had grown and he was the spitting image of his father.

"Why have you come to haunt me?", Stanley's voice was hoarse.

"Because Death has come knocking, Lord Stanley".

Stanley chuckled. "Your father would be disappointed at you".

"He doesn't know me. Even if he does, he would understand".

"Vengeance is never the answer".

"Funny it comes from you. You hung around your wife for too long", grabbing a cushion from a nearby chair.

"They will know. You will never be safe".

Richard chuckled. "No, they won't", he said before pressing the pillow hard until Stanley stopped moving.

Richard arranged the body to make Stanley looked like he passed away peacefully. He instructed the staffs to inform My Lady the King's Mother and the church in the morning. He paid them handsomely to never utter a word about this ever again.

With that, Richard tore off the part that had Stanley's name on the parchment in his pendant and burned it off. One last name to go.