End of A Journey

(A/N: well, all good things must come to an end

Richard says goodbye)

LATE SUMMER 1553

The soon to be 68 year old Richard laid in his bed. Many of those he had loved had gone before him and now, he knew his time was near.

42 year old Henri was prepared to ascend the throne. He had held regency a few times during the first few years after his mother had passed. His father's grief caused him to enter a seclusion, much like Henry VII after his queen had died.

When Richard made the decision to abdicate, Henri knew his father had little time. Henri sent a letter to his sister to come home as soon as she can and he also sent out a scout to find Ragnar, who was somewhere in Spain according to his last letter.

Henri sent out letters to his uncle King Erik, the Scots, his cousins in Suffolk and to Spain. He prayed his siblings would be home in time.

Henri wrote out proclamation to alert England's inhabitants. Many had traveled to London, to pray for their York king.

20 year old Prince Erik was summoned to the king's chamber. His father the king was laying down on his pillow, eyes staring at the ceiling.

"Erik, is that you?", Richard's hoarse voice called out to his youngest.

Erik sat next to his father. "I'm here, Papa. I'm here".

"Could you lie down next to me?", asked Richard.

Erik laid down next to his father. He turned his head to his left to see a portrait of his mother.

"Your mother was the love of my life. Soon, I shall see her again, my dearest sunflower. I will see your brothers and sister too", said Richard.

"I'm sorry, papa".

Richard frowned. "Why are you sorry?".

"Mama died because of me".

Richard softly chuckled. "Your mother wouldn't mind that. She would have loved you nonetheless".

"Please don't go, Papa".

"My boy, when it's time, I must go. Every living thing on this Earth will die when it is time".

The door opened and Astrid Katheryn walked in with her children and her husband, Ivar. Erik got up and hugged his sister.

"How is he?", Astrid Katheryn whispered.

Erik simply shook his head. Astrid Katheryn sat on the bed and kissed Richard's hand.

"Papa? It's me, Astrid", she sobbed.

"Astrid, is that you, daisy? My darling daisy is home", Richard smiled.

Lizzie, Bess Tudor, Ragnar, who also had just arrived home, Henri, Mary and their children entered. Behind them, Richard Rowley, the Barnleys, the Smyths, Izzy and Richie and the Staffords, Henry FitzRoy, the Suffolks, Katherine Herbert, the Poles and several key members of the privy council.

Henri and Ragnar helped Richard to sit up. Richard was already out of breath even at the simplest thing.

"I've gathered you all today to tell you that I am dying. I think..., I was dying after my wife had died".

"Papa, don't say that", said Henri.

"Henri, we must face the truth", Richard spoke.

Lizzie held Bess in her arm, letting her cousin cried. Richard beckoned those two to come over.