The Death of First Borns

(Brace yourself and I'm sorry.

PS: I'm using the show as one of my resources, but I'm not gonna follow according to the show dot to dot, example: Catherine, irl, didn't attend Arthur's funeral as shown in TSP)

EARLY - LATE APRIL 1502

Richard woke up in the dead of the night, the singing was getting louder. There was no way to shut it out this time.

He got up to his son's crib. Richard watched Teddy's chest rise and fall for a while until he's assured that his son was alright.

Teddy and Anne had been coughing lately and were often tired after playing briefly. His physician assured him it was only minor ailments.

Richard walked out of Stafford's Manor towards the stable. Pepper sensed his presence and neighed. Richard patted her head and sat next to her.

"Pep, I have a bad feeling", Richard leaned his head to Pepper's.

The water trough began to splash, causing Pepper to neigh nervously and Richard knew. He approached it slowly and Melusina poked her head out.

"You must hurry to Ludlow at first light", she whispered.

"Why?".

"Your brother is gravely ill. Do not bring your wife and son. They could be infected".

"Why are we whispering?".

Melusina sunk her head back in and Richard heard footsteps. He leaned back to Pepper and rest his head to hers.

Stafford was up late in his studies when his housekeeper came in, telling him that the young Duke of Gloucester was seen walking to the stable. Worried about his cousin catching a cold and risked the wrath of the queen, Stafford thanked the man and went out.

He frowned to find Richard here in the middle of the night. He knew his cousin sleep walked when he was younger and he couldn't let Richard got into some trouble.

"Richard? Are you alright?".

Richard simply nodded. "I couldn't sleep, that is all".

"Come on, cousin. Before you catch a cold".

"I don't feel so good", Richard stood up and followed Stafford back inside.

"We'll sit by the fire and drink some ale. That should do it".

"It's not that. Stafford, I'm going to Ludlow at first light. Whatever happens, Freja and Teddy shouldn't follow me".

"What? Why?", Stafford frowned.

"I don't know, but I've got a bad feeling. I'll take Drew and Robyn. The rest will take my wife and son back to Fotheringhay".

"Would you like me to come with you?".

"Yes, please. Don't ask me why, I'm trusting my instinct".

At first light, Richard and Stafford departed with Drew and Robyn. Freja gave him a kiss before he left and she took everyone, minus the Staffords, back to Fotheringhay.

They raced towards Ludlow. When they got there, Sir Richard Pole was at the door, about to send a message to Richard himself.

"Richard? Oh, thank God you're here!", Pole sighed in relief.

"What the hell happened?", Richard jumped down his horse.

"Your brother is gravely ill. He has been weak since he departed from court, although it got worse when he got here. Catherine has recovered, but not him. He asks for you".

"Have you told the king and the queen?", asked Stafford.

"Not yet, but I'm about to send my messenger off".

"Robyn can take it. He's a much faster rider", said Richard.

"I'll go with him", said Stafford.

Drew took Pepper and his own horse to the stable while Richard rushed inside with Pole.

Bursting through the door, Richard went to Arthur's side. He was sweating and pale, but he smiled at the sight of his brother.

"Don't come..., close. I don't want you sick", he said, weak in that state.

Richard ignored that, knelt by the side of the bed and grasped his brother's hand. He remembered the curse, Lady Mother Melusina had sung and now, Arthur was at the edge of death.

Catherine came in and knelt on the other side. She took his hand too, pressing it to her tear stained cheek.

"Brother, promise me, you'll look after Cate", Arthur's voice was getting raspy.

Richard nodded, trying not to cry. "I will, Arthur. I promise. I always keep my word, don't I?".

Arthur smiled, feeling relief of the burden and knowing Catherine will be well cared for. "Cate, Richard will look after you when I'm gone".

"Do not say that", Catherine sobbed.

"You must rest, you'll get better", Richard cupped his brother's sweaty cheek.

"I'm sorry, Richie. I'm sorry for everything".

"You've done nothing to offend me or hurt me. You've got nothing to apologise for", Richard shook his head, hot tears began to pour down his cheeks.

"You should've been king. You're mother's first born. I've took your place. Your father is dead because of my father. You were raised without mother's love or your father's".

Richard shook his head. "It is no fault of yours. My father had fought bravely and died a king. Your father had won in his own rights. I'm happy, brother. Despite everything, I don't mind not being king. Please, Arthur, rest. Do not think of anything until you are well".

Arthur fell asleep and Richard kept watch, holding his brother's hand and prayed fervently, along side Catherine and the occupants of Ludlow. He prayed that Arthur lived long to be king, but..., on the morning of April 2nd, Arthur had stopped breathing.

Pole had to pry Richard off from his brother as they prepared his body. Just as Robyn came back, he left once more to inform the king and queen of the sad news.

Drew had left to Fotheringhay and told Freja of the news. Freja felt heartbroken and shed tears for Arthur.

"Richard had asked you to come, but only you. The rest will stay with Teddy and Anne".

APRIL 25, 1502

Richard mounted Pepper, next to the lords who had served Arthur in his lifetime. Richard was deathly pale, his eyes were puffy from his tears and ringed with dark circles from the sleepless night.

He escorted his brother's body from the Parish Church of Ludlow to Worcester Cathedral. He wore his usual dark tunic and pants, and the colour made him looked like a ghost.

Henry and Lizzie were already there. Lizzie gasped at the sight of Richard and wept for her children.

Richard helped to carry the coffin inside. They set it on the pedestal and Richard stood next to the royal family, behind the king and queen.

Freja offered to stay behind with Catherine. Meg took a hold of Richard's right hand while Mary took his left, hoping that would comfort their brother.

After the ceremony, Richard helped to lower the coffin into the grave. He helped to break one of the staves of Arthur's office and threw it in the grave.

Richard bought red and white roses and tossed it into the grave before they covered it. Lizzie stepped forward and took her son's arm.

"I'm sorry, lady mother", Richard whispered.

Lizzie shook her head. "It isn't your fault", she sobbed, as silently as she can.

After the funeral, they journeyed back to Ludlow. Freja was at the door to welcome them home, until she spotted Ralph riding fast towards Ludlow.

Freja pointed it out and Richard rode his horse towards one of his friends. Ralph was pale and his eyes were puffy.

"It's Teddy and Anne!".