Rendezvous

(Meg meets King James IV of Scotland while Richard meets up with a lady

A/N: please note that when Meg married James IV, she's only 13/14 and James was TWICE her age. While I don't condone child marriages, but back then, it's common, especially royal children. I won't include any NSFW because of this reason. If you're not comfortable with the idea of Meg and James married, you may skip the whole chapter, I don't mind)

AUGUST 1503

Meg watched as they got to the north, a lot had lined up to bless her, but mostly they came to see her brother. She watched how Richard would smile and nod at them, acknowledging their presence.

"You make it seems so natural", said Meg.

"You want people to love you. Their supports matter by a lot, Meg, not just noble lords. Popularity plays a key when ruling".

"Is that the best advice you can give me?", she smirked.

"I don't know much about Scots, but when work together, anything is possible. You must know when to play your part well. That way, everything will go smoothly".

"I wish you can stay with me", she said.

"When the time comes, we must part ways, my dearest Meg, but we will see each other again. I have lands and estates up in the North. You can always write and if need to be, I will be there for you", Richard said before kissing her temple.

They rode passed the borders and soon arrived in Edinburgh. Meg didn't understand a word, but she smiled as Richard instructed her.

"You are their queen. Smile, sister. You must show them that you are friendly and kind", Richard spoke as he smiled.

They rode till they reached Holyroodhouse Palace. The welcome was warm and Richard let Meg rest for tomorrow's ceremony.

THE NEXT DAY

Richard was called to Meg's room. He entered and smiled, almost cried himself seeing her in her wedding dress. He himself, for once, dressed in cream coloured outfit, minus his finer dark coloured boots.

"How do I look?", Meg asked.

"Beautiful".

"Like our mother?".

Richard nodded. He pulled out a white rose for her, which Meg gladly took.

"You are Queen of Scots, but you will forever be my sister. I love you, Meg, so much that it pains me to let you go", Richard wiped his tears.

The ladies were at awed seeing a man shedding tears at his sister's wedding day. Meg wanted to cry, but Richard shook his head and kissed her forehead.

"Don't, let me do the crying. Come, Your Grace. Your king awaits you".

Richard handed Meg over to King James. The king turned to Richard and hugged him, startling the young duke.

"Don't worry, I will love and care for her until my last days".

"Thank you, Your Grace..., or I will rein my army and destroy you", Richard said, despite smiling.

The king laughed, heartily and patted Richard's back. Richard took his seat next to Sir Thomas as the wedding proceeded.

After the wedding was Meg's coronation. Meg looked at Richard every so often and her brother smiled, silently telling her he's there and she was doing great.

That evening, while everyone celebrated, Richard wandered around the castle ground. Around the corner, he found the person whom he had intended to meet.

"My Lady, I'm glad you received my message", Richard announced himself.

Cathy Gordon turned around and smiled. She curtsied to him. "Your Grace, you've grown".

"It has been a few years since we last met", Richard and her sat down at the bench.

"When was that?".

"I think it was the night my mother set fire to The Tower".

"How have you been? I've heard of your marriage and that you lost a son".

Richard sighed. "The Sweat took him. It broke my wife's heart, but we did welcome a new one. How have you been?".

"I've remarried, but I do not have any children thus far".

"Do you miss him?", Richard asked, referring to Warbeck.

"Sometimes. He spoke of you a lot. He spoke of how he wanted to name you his heir if anything happens to our son".

"I'm sorry. I thought what I did was the right thing. I was so wrong. Their deaths are on my hands".

Cathy placed her hand on his cheek. "You were so young, yet, so brave and courageous. I remembered what the duchess said about your father and I see him in you, even when I don't know him. No boy could command an army. No boy could do what you had done. You aren't a boy, but a brave prince. Many will envy you because they can never be you or do what you did. One day, your tale will be a legend that will last till the end of times".

"You are far too kind, Lady Aunt".

"Lady Aunt?", Meg's voice startled them both.

Both curtsied to the newly crowned Queen of Scots. Meg remembered now who this woman was.

"My husband told me that you are to serve me", said Meg.

"Yes, Your Grace".

"You can trust her, Meg", said Richard.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt the two of you", said Meg.

"No need to apologise, sister. I simply want to know if she's alright", Richard smiled.

"Perhaps, I should take Her Grace to the chambers. I think it's time for the bedding ceremony", said Cathy.

Before they left, Richard stopped them with a question, "Did you ever find him?".

Cathy shook her head. "My prayers are the only thing that keeps me on my feet. I do hope he didn't suffer".

Richard nodded. The ladies left him on the bench. Richard plucked out his rosary and clutched it, praying. He prayed harder when he softly heard the faint singing.

THE NEXT DAY

Richard was back in his usual dark coloured theme outfit. He had stayed until Meg received her dower lands.

James stepped forward and embraced Richard as if they've been brothers for many years. "I do wish I can persuade you to stay. I've heard of your war stories and how I wish to exchange yours with mine".

Richard chuckled. "My war stories aren't as great as yours, Your Grace".

"Not great?! I was fifteen when you were two years younger! You led the army on your own free will when you could've slain the very king that took your rights".

"I owed him my life, Your Grace. I didn't fight my own kinsmen for the love of him. Besides, I'm a bastard", Richard said, despite a little voice called him a liar.

James nodded. "I figured, but Your Grace, power cannot be given. It is taken. We're all bastards".

Meg stepped forward, bearing the thick journal in her hand. Richard shook his head and pushed the book back to her.

"You may keep it, Your Grace. Perhaps, the next time we meet, you can return it".

Meg clutched the book closed to her. "You can still call me sister, you idiot", she smiled.

"And you may call me brother", James smiled.

Meg hugged him tight as if this was the last time she would ever see him. Richard chuckled and kissed her forehead.

"Until we meet again, both of you", Richard put his cap on and smiled.