Trastamara-Stafford

(A surprise for both Catherine and Stafford)

EARLY 1523

Catherine had been feeling sick lately. This worried Stafford.

"Are you alright, Catalina?".

"I am well, Eduardo. Please, do not fret", she smiled.

However, after her husband left, Catherine went to find the queen. Freja was busy mending clothes with her ladies.

"Catalina, it's good to see you", the queen smiled.

"I want to ask you something", Catherine whispered as she scooted closer.

"What is it?", Freja was intrigued.

"I think I'm with child".

Catherine quickly placed her hand on Freja's mouth, shaking her head. "But that's great news!", Freja whispered, excitedly.

"What if it's a girl?", Catherine seemed in distress.

Freja set her workings down in the basket next to her. She turned to Catherine to give the former queen her full attention.

"I don't think Cousin Edward minds. He seems genuinely in love with you. Did you tell him?".

Catherine shook her head. Catherine asked Lina to call for a physician.

"Your Grace is unwell?", Lina asked.

"Catalina just wanted a confirmation, that's all", Freja gave a knowing smile.

The ladies suspected, but Freja sternly told them until they had the confirmation, no one is to say a word to anyone. When the physician arrived, the ladies left the room, leaving Freja, Catherine, Maggie and Lina.

The physician smiled. "Congratulations, Your Grace. You'll be expecting quite close to winter".

Freja took Catherine to the privy council room. Seeing the queen smiled, the ladies all got giddy - a new baby will soon arrive.

Richard and the privy council were surprised to see Freja entering with Catherine, hand in hand. The way they smiled as if they harboured a secret so great it could devastate the men.

"What are you two up to?", Richard raised his brow.

"We have some news", Freja giggled.

Stafford approached his wife, worried of her health. Catherine simply smiled and placed his hand on her stomach.

"I hope to not disappoint you", she said.

Stafford, unable to contain his happiness, kissed her on the spot. The rest clapped and congratulated the couple.

"It doesn't matter, my love, as long as you are happy", Stafford smiled.

"My lords, we must celebrate", Richard declared.

That night, the men hit Rowley's Tavern. Anne welcomed them all with a warm smile while the rest of the patron bowed to their king.

Richard stood on top of the bar with a drink in hand. "Ladies and gentlemen, tonight, we celebrate Lord Stafford and his soon to be child with his new wife. Be it boy or girl, we pray for its health. Tonight, drinks on me!".

The tavern erupted with cheers. They drank and danced, celebrating the good news all round.

PEMBROKE

Herbert sat at the end of the table. His wife Bessie on his right and his stepson on his left. At the other end was Henry Tudor and his wife, Anne Boleyn.