Secrecy Part 2

(Richard convenes with his affinities in the basement of Rowley's Tavern. Catherine loses her final child and Stafford stepped in)

Richard was the last to arrive. Anne Rowley curtsied as she wiped her tears. Her son, Richard was with her that night.

"Our condolences for your loss, Your Grace".

Richard ruffled the boy's hair. "Thank you, Madam Rowley. Forgive me if this troubles you".

"Anything for you, Your Grace. Please, they are waiting", Anne opened the secret hatch.

Richard descended down to meet his affinities, including Maggie. Those from the Neville and Woodville factions gathered to show their support, even his ageing aunt, who was smuggled in by Drew.

Margaret hugged her nephew, gently rubbing his back. "I'm glad you've decided on this. The children are safe in Bedford with the Barnleys".

"It's going too far! What he has done...", Lord Westmorland spoke.

"We must be careful. Wolsey and Boleyn are rising and they have their fingers in everything", said Richard.

"But we are on your side", said Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk.

"Your sister is on Boleyn's side", said Richard.

"Her loss, but I will talk to her", said Norfolk.

"We gather in Bedford, when the Swedes arrive. Seven days from now", said Richard.

"We'll have our men ready by then", said Surrey.

"I'm sorry I pulled you out of your retirement, old man", Richard chuckled.

"To die fighting for you? Any damn day, Your Grace", Surrey patted his back, smiling.

MEANWHILE

Catherine couldn't stop thinking about what happened. She couldn't stop thinking of the poor stillborn boy, Richard Plantagenet and the pain and sorrow his parents had to go through.

What if that's what could happen to her? To Mary? Catherine sobbed at the thought of her own child dying at the hands of her own father.

She felt the pain. No, not yet. She got up, but no one was there. She didn't have the time to grab her robes and went straight to Henry's chambers.

She stopped halfway, holding on to the pillar for support when the wave of pain hit her. No, it's too soon! Her one last hope..., it's gone now. It's over now for her.

"Your Grace?", a voice caught her attention.

Stafford approached the queen. "Your Grace, are you alright?".

"Stafford..., please help me", Catherine sobbed.

"Let me get your ladies", Stafford got up, but Catherine grabbed his arm.

"Please, Stafford...".

Stafford looked around and there was no one. "Fuck it...", he mumbled as he picked her up in his arms and took her back to her chambers.

Catherine wrapped her arms around Stafford, for a moment, she felt safe and comforted. She felt something and it confused her.

Stafford set Catherine on her bed and that's when he noticed the blood. "Let me call for someone".

"No! No one can know! Please, Edward", she sobbed, not realising she had called him by his given name.

Stafford knelt down. "At least, let me call for Gloucester's ladies. You can't be in this state all night", he was worried for her.

"But you mustn't tell Henry or anyone. I beg of you".

Stafford rose up and slowly pulled her in his arms as he dared himself to kiss her hair. "I promise. I will tell no one".

Stafford wrapped her in his velvet jacket. He left for a moment to get Hilda. He whispered to her of the delicate situation.

"Stay with Her Highness. Bessie, come. We must help the queen".

Hilda and Bessie went into the chambers. Catherine and Bessie stared for a moment, before allowing her husband's former mistress helped to care for her.

Hilda pulled the blanket up. "Please rest, Your Grace".

"Thank you, Hilda, Bessie. Promise me, you'll tell no one about this", Catherine sniffled.

"We swear, not a word", said Bessie.

"I'm sorry, Bessie. For all the treatments I made to you".

"I never blame you, Your Grace. It was a mistake on my end and I'm the one who should apologise".

"Please rest, Your Grace", Hilda pulled Bessie out with her.

"Wait!".

"Your Grace?".

Catherine held out Stafford's jacket. "Please thank him for me".

Hilda took the jacket and close the door behind her. Both returned back to the Gloucester's quarters.

MEANWHILE

Richard arrived to see Stafford by his wife's side. He frowned to see him there.

Stafford explained what had happened. Richard groaned, knowing this might not end well for Catherine.

"I didn't know who else to call. She made me swear to not say a word to anyone", said Stafford.

"Then, don't. You've already been marked for your friendship with her".

"You're leaving court?".

"Yes, I must take my wife to safety. The children are already in Bedford".

"This is all Wolsey and Boleyn-", Stafford gritted his teeth, "-Oh when I get my hands on them".

"Steady, Edward. Think of your family first. If you die, your title and lands will be forfeited and your children will be penniless".

"How are you?".

"Hanging on".

"Will you call on me?".

"What I need from you, Edward, is to stay here. Protect Catherine and Mary. Whatever it is I'm planning..., I will deal with it and its consequences. You're already in hot water, I don't want you to be dragged down any further".

Stafford stayed with the Gloucesters and watched them as they left the court at first light. Richard rest his forehead against Stafford.

"Take care, Edward".

"You too, Richard. Don't die".

Richard hopped on his horse and took the rest of his family to the safety of Bedford. Stafford knew their departure will be known sooner or later and he wondered what would befall his family.

He returned inside and found Catherine up and about with her ladies. Catherine would've knocked, but seeing Stafford there, she knew the Gloucesters were gone.

"Are they safe?", she asked.

"Yes, Your Grace".

"How is Freja?".

"Still in mourning".

Catherine held her head high, trying her best not to cry. That day had traumatised her deeply.

"Promise me, Lord Stafford. You will not let Ricardo die. Promise me".

"For you, my queen, I promise".