Letters to Meg

Do you have any idea how excited I am every time I have to post because I just want to share it so bad? 😂

(Richard and Meg exchange letters and Richard gets spooked. Please don't kill me when you read this)

EARLY TO LATE 1507

"Dearest Meg,

I'm happy to hear the news. You'll be a great mother, just as our mother had been.

Tensions are rising here. Your father is raising taxes and putting a strain to the people. I'm trying my best to help with however I can, but alas, I can only do little.

Your father's new councillor, Thomas Wolsey whispers in his ears. How the nobles need to be controlled at the wealth they amassed. I do not understand how raising taxes help because it is not, especially to the common folks. I was almost thinking that he could be a friend and now, I learn to not trust him.

Your father is not fairing well too. I can hear his coughing from outside the room. I worry if he dies before your brother becomes of age.

I pity Catherine. She's living in such poor conditions. I tried my best to help her from time to time, but financially, I may be broke soon with the taxes keep on rising. Emotionally? God knows, I do not know how else to console her. She heard of Harry's betrothal to her niece, Eleanor and Harry seemed to just accept it when clearly he wanted to marry her.

Did you hear? Mary is to be betrothed to Catherine's nephew, Charles. She is to style herself as Princess of Castile, but the wedding will not be for another seven years more. I dare not to imagine the thought of letting her go that far. Departing from you was already causing a pain in me, where I miss you as terribly as I miss my late sons.

Aside from that, Freja and I are still trying. God only knows how she desires a child of her own. I thought of having Maggie's children here would improve since Mary must return to court for her studies and preparations for her proxy wedding, but I know it's not.

There are times, I found her sitting by the crib, holding Edward's jacket and William's blanket. Her fingers would caress the tiny pillow, imagining her sons sleeping on it.

It pains me, sister, to see my beloved like that. She would smile and say she is fine, but I know she is not.

Get some rest. Do not worry about us here.

Yours truly,
Richard".

*

"Dearest brother,

I pray that you shall have a son soon. Perhaps, my son James shall have a friend when we visit England.

Is my father really unwell? It is perhaps the burden he carries that corrupt his health, though I know you will see to it that he has the finest physicians that will attend upon him.

I will pray that the financial matters will resolve. I hate to see you without a penny to your name. Imagine, the son of a king and penniless! The idea of it!

I read the journal even more. I sometimes read it to my son James. Your father sounds like a wonderful man, not at all what I've been hearing from lady grandmother and father's supporters. I feel his sorrow when he lost his own Edward, just as I feel your sorrow of losing your sons.

How is Harry? Is he still engaged to Catherine? I pity her, once Princess of Wales and now reduced to nothing. I hope I will not end up like her. My son will care for me in my old days or perhaps, my fate will be the same as our mother.