Discussion

(Richard and Henry sit down to speak of the future of England. Richard comforted Margaret before her departure to Scotland)

Richard slipped his jacket on, already feeling regret on leaving the comfort of his wife in bed. He instructed Drew to stay behind and he will go alone.

Richard went down to where Henry was. He was sitting on the floor, back to the wall and facing his lion in the cage.

Richard grabbed some meat and placed it in the cage, ruffling the lion's mane. He sat down next to the king.

"I must look like a fool to you", said Henry.

"Quite frankly, yes".

"My mother said you're getting quite bold as you aged", Henry chuckled.

"Someone has to be the sane one here".

"I feel I'm lost without your mother. I'm scared, Richard. She kept telling me that Harry will never have children if he marries Catherine".

"Your son has his mind set to marry her. I don't think anyone can convince him otherwise".

"What do you think of all this?".

Richard shrugged. "I think Harry will make the right decision if he follows his heart. We need a powerful alliance like Spain".

"We need the other half of the dowry".

"Ferdinand is deliberately procrastinating. I don't think he'll pay".

"Why? Because he believes that she and Arthur had consummated their marriage?".

"Arthur never said anything to me about that".

"My mother has her spies everywhere, Richard. She knows".

"People will do anything for money, even lying".

Henry sighed. "I wish Lizzie is still here with me".

"Why did you call me here?".

"I'm appointing you Lord Protector. I can't trust anyone, Richard. I don't know why, I just can't".

"What about your mother?".

"I fear she'll rule England how she sees it fit. Did you know she kept telling me, even when I was young, how I was destined to be king?".

"And here you are, Your Grace".

"I never wanted it in the first place, but I did it because..., it's all I've been told. It's all I ever knew".

"Before Lord Jasper told me of who I am, I wonder too, who my parents were. I only knew Maggie and Teddy are my cousins. William often told me how my father was a great man who did many great things".

"He was, Richard. I had no doubts to it. You know why? I see him in you. Your bravery and loyalty, that's him. I was there, remember? At Bosworth. I may not face him directly, but I was there and they said he rode into battle as brave as any knight ought to".

"See? That's the thing, I want to be me, not him. I'm not him. I want to be remembered as I am, not just in association to him".

"You will be. People will remember you as who you are now, but you can't deny that you are his son".

The duo sat there quietly facing the lion. Henry's steward bought a jug of wine and two goblets. Henry and Richard sat there, drinking in silence.

"Meg will be leaving soon", Henry broke the silence.

Richard sucked in his breath and exhaled. He couldn't imagine to depart from another sibling.

"She asked if you can escort her to Scotland", said Henry.

"I thought you've appointed Sir Thomas Boleyn".

"She wants you. She said she'll feel more comfortable to go if you're there with her".

"You're appointing me Lord Protector, yet I'm to leave court".

"I'm appointing you Lord Protector should I die soon before Harry comes of age. I know you have many affinities in court and I know you'll be able to keep control of the power".

"What about your mother?".

"It's my decree, she must abide by it".

Richard sighed and got up. He dusted off his pants before bowing to the king.

"Your Grace, I shall do as you wish".

Henry nodded, in gratitude. "Make preparations for Scotland".

Richard leisurely walked to find Meg in his private quarters, hiding from Margaret and her ladies. She was sitting next to William, gently rocking the crib while Freja was brushing her hair.

"Husband", Freja smiled seeing him.

Richard pulled a stool and sat next to Meg. "You're married to the King of Scots. It's your duty to your country".

"Why can't I pick and choose like you? Your father did. He went against his own brother to marry Anne Neville".

Richard wanted to tell, but it's too risky. It's not the right time to say anything.

"You know why, Meg".

"But you're a royal duke. Isn't marriage supposed to bring advantageous to your country?".

"I did..., with Sweden. We established a connection through my marriage with Freja".

"What if he doesn't like me?", Meg sighed.

Richard scooted closer. He tucked a strand behind Meg's ear and smiled.

"You are as beautiful as our mother. You're smart, strong and a confidant woman. What's not to like?".

"I don't want to end up like Catherine".

Richard kissed her forehead. "You have me. Send word and I will be there".

Richard took the pin off of his tunic. "Should you need help, you pass the border, show them this and they will know who to find".

Meg studied the white boar pin. "But this is.... Richie, I can't take it".

"Take it..., and let's hope you don't need it".

"Will you come? Please, Richie".

"I will escort you all the way to Scotland", Richard smiled.

William opened his eyes and squirmed from his swaddled blanket. Meg picked him up and he began to wail.

"Meg, give him to your brother. He's not a people's person", Freja chuckled.

The minute William settled in Richard's arms, he stopped crying. Meg frowned at how that worked.

"You have to tell me how you do it", she said.

"That, my dear sweet sister, is my secret", Richard winked.

Richard waited until night. He gathered the Barnleys, Ralph and Robyn to the garden.

"What will happen to the princess if you leave?", asked Drew.

"Drew and Ralph are to stay back. I've already placed Sarah in her household. In the event that..., she has to leave, take her back to Bedford. Tell her, either she goes or it's her head. God knows what the Tudors will do to her".

"What about your wife?", asked Sarah.

"I'll send her and William back to Bedford. It's safer for her to be with her mother and brother there".

"You can't just go to Scotland on your own, Your Grace".

"Herbert will meet me halfway and I'll take Robyn with me".

Richard plucked a tiny scroll from his sleeve and passed it to Robyn. "At the first light, head off to Scotland. No one, but King James gets this".

"You got it".

(PS: a little spoiler, Richard will be singing. I'm contemplating between Hands of Gold, the pirate song from the third Pirates of the Caribbean or there's this short song from Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. I'm leaning more towards Hands of Gold)