Wives and Mothers

(Freja prays at church and Joanna walks in, sitting with her)

Wolsey walked in to find Lady Gloucester at the front pews. He walked towards her, peering over her shoulder to see her clutching a small jacket and a white blanket.

Wolsey sat a few spots next to Freja. Freja knew he was there, but she didn't say anything yet.

"My lady is very lucky that His Grace loves you, despite..., your misfortunes".

"I miss them, Father Wolsey. I miss Little Edward's laughter. He liked to run and laugh. Do you want to know what was the first thing he did when he figured out how to climb out of his crib? He would sneak out of his nursery when Hilda forgot to close the door properly and went straight to our room. I'm surprised she didn't hear him leave. He was quite advance for a one year old".

"Your second son?".

"William? He was far too young, but he loved to be with his father. He never cried when Richard held him".

"His Grace seems very natural with children", Wolsey commented.

"Oh yes, he is. I do so desperately want to give him one".

"Shall we pray? Perhaps, God will answer your prayers soon".

They both prayed in silence. Wolsey assured her that she will have children. Freja thanked Wolsey, but chose to stay for a longer while..., until another visitor walked in.

"Is that your sons'?", Freja looked up to see Joanna.

She got up and curtsied to the queen. "Please, sit with me", Joanna patted the spot next to her seat.

Freja sat back down and placed her sons' jacket and blanket on her lap. Joanna was humming as she stared at the golden cross.

"I understand you have lost two sons".

"Yes, Your Highness. Edward and William".

"Do you not think that God is punishing you for what your parents have done?".

"I do not know", Freja shook her head.

"I myself do not understand. I do not understand the love and devotion to Him that people display. They can be devoted, yet, be struck with misfortune".

"God works in mysterious ways".

"Or they sin. What mysterious ways that sometimes, good people are punished, yet the corrupts live?".

"I do not know, Your Highness. If a debate is what you're looking for, you should find my husband. He's good with that".

"You and I are the same. We married young and we both love our husbands...", Joanna seemed to pause.

"But?".

"How do you get him to be so devoted to you? I've heard of him so often. My husband would say his uncle is missing out on so many things whilst you're with child".

"My husband has been hurt so many times. He knew what it was like to be a bastard, a bastard son of a dead king, living in the court of his father's enemies".

"Yet, he is successful. You see the courtiers, especially the ladies would love to be his friends".

"He has charms of his own".

"Yet..., he refused to take the crown".

"He loves his mother. He loves his siblings. True, my husband has his oddities, but that's because he's not like others. He doesn't lust for power. He wants peace, even if it means to be..., just a duke".

"Peace. What is peace? We live in times of war, my lady. Peace is not an option".

"Then, you don't know my husband. You don't know what he had gone through".

"His mother claimed him as a bastard. He was sent away to live with the king's uncle at a very young age. He lost three kinsmen to get my sister to marry his sickly brother and now, that boy, the new Prince of Wales".

"What mothers wouldn't do to make sure her children stay alive".

Joanna turned back to the cross and Freja swore she saw the queen's eyes teared up. She slowly and tentatively placed her hand above the queen's.

"They called me mad, but who is to blame for my madness? Men can have opinions and women would get punish for such thing. When you said that, I almost laughed. My mother had tortured me. She would hang me on a hook or a rope and tie weights on my feet. How is that love, Lady Gloucester?".

"I wish I can answer that, but I can't".

"They say I am an unfit mother. I know my children will be taken away from me one day".

"Maybe you can prove to them wrong?".

Joanna turned to Freja. She placed her hand on Freja's cheek.

"Your soul is too pure. You might want to leave court before they corrupt you".

"May I pray for Your Highness? Perhaps, when you return to Castile, all shall be well", Freja smiled.

"People have prayed for me, but I still find myself in the very same situation".

"I'm sorry for that. I wish I could help. I do not have the power to overthrow a kingdom for you".

"But your husband does", Joanna chuckled.

LATER

Richard returned to find his wife staring out of the window. He stripped of his heavy outer clothes, leaving him with his shirt and pants before wrapping his arms around her.

"What's wrong?", he asked.

"I spoke to the Spanish Queen today", she said.

"And?".

"Do you know what they've done to her?".

Richard sighed and rest his forehead on her shoulder. "I pity her. To suffer at the hands of her own parents", he said.

"Don't we all? Are we not pawns for them? To be trade for marriages as if we're cattles. To bear children and sometimes die because of it".

"It's a cruel world we live in".

"But we can still make the best for it. I just wish..., I could do something. She fears her children will be taken away from her. What if when we have one, will they take them away from us?".

Richard turned her around and kissed her forehead. "I will not let that happened. They will have to go over my dead body before they can harm you or any of our children".

"You might want to talk to Cousin Edward too".

Richard groaned. "What has he done?".

"Rosa lost the baby".

"Does he know?".

"She said he doesn't want to have anything to do with her".

Typical, Richard thought. "Can we leave all problems out of our rooms? In here, I just want peace".

Freja wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him. "I know", she gave that smile, which Richard responded by carrying her to bed.