Merciless

(I know this will not follow the actual Battle of Flodden, but this is an AU so bear with me.

Italics - Richard communicating telepathically with Melusina)

LATE 1513

Richard stood at the front. Mist began to fill Flodden Hill and Richard spotted a woman, wearing a light blue dress, her hair flowed with the wind.

"Lady Mother", Richard greeted her.

"I know that you vowed to never use magic again, but I am here today to assist you".

"Why?", Richard frowned

"Why not? I promise..., I wouldn't ask anything in return. I understand your pain".

"Last time I used magic, I lost four children".

"You've ridden yourself of the curse. Your children now will be safe".

"They killed my friend. I wish to avenge him".

"Then, we will do it, together", Melusina smiled before disappearing into the mist.

Surrey tapped Richard's shoulder, but the duke didn't flinch. "Your Grace, it's too foggy for us to advance".

"On the contrary, Surrey, this is the right time for us to strike. Tell your men, show no mercy", Richard headed back to ready for the assault.

Catherine was suited up and prepared to mount her horse, but Richard stopped her. She was great with child and it worried him.

"I can fight, Ricardo", she said.

"I know, but please, sit this one out. If anything happens to you or the baby, Henry will be angry with us all".

Catherine sighed. "Then what is my use of being here?".

Richard smiled. "To show support, raising morale. To show them that you are strong. Let me fight. Whatever happens, do not go into the field. If we're outnumbered and losing, run back to London".

"I will not!", Catherine stood her ground.

"You will have to. One battle lost doesn't mean we lost the war. There'll be other battles for you to fight. You can take credits for the attack for all I care, but listen to me. Sit this one out".

Catherine nodded. "Promise me you'll win".

Richard nodded. "You have my word, as a son of York".

Both Richard and Surrey split two ways. The mist helped to conceal them as they made way to the other side.

James frowned to see the mist. Meg squinted her eyes, trying to see the surroundings better while The Scots treaded carefully.

One by one, Meg watched the Scots being pulled into the mist and pushed out, dead. Some began to run off, but they didn't get too far before being slaughtered.

"Aye, I guess that arrow was a mistake", James spoke.

"What arrow?", Meg asked.

"I had an archer laced an arrow with poison. Your brother was the intended target, of course, but it hit his man", said James.

"I heard his name was Ralph Brackenbury", said Alexander Stewart.

"Brackenbury?", the name sounded familiar to Meg.

"Aye, his uncle was a close friend to the old King Richard III", said Angus Douglas.

"Oh no...", Meg turned to her husband.

She remembered it now. The journal. Sir Robert Brackenbury. She grasped James' arm.

"Please, we can stop this. Tell my brother that you're sorry and maybe he'll spare you", Meg pleaded.

James wore his helmet. "Lass, at this point, I don't think that's going to happen. Today, we fight".

James rode off, leaving Meg behind with Angus and Stewart. The mist was thick, but he slew any Englishman on sight. That's when he heard Richard.

"Yorks!! Yorks, to me!!", Richard commanded.

Drew and Robyn were close to him while Richard's men formed a circle around the duke. Shields were ready in arms.

"Shield wall!", Richard gave out the order.

The Scots surrounded the men holding up the boar sigil, forming a barricade. They charged, but the barricade stood strong.

"Steady men. Hold!".

Surrey saw James charging towards Richard's barricade. He commanded his men to go and help as he ran with them as well.

"Steady men. Keep it together!", Drew spoke as he faced Richard, ready to boost him up.

Surrey watched, from the barricade, Richard flew up as everyone watched, awed because he looked like a phoenix emerging from the ash. Richard struck the ones nearer the barricade before his men broke the barricade and they charged at the Scots, taking them by surprise.

Richard almost got his head chopped off as he narrowly missed James' sword. Robyn fired an arrow, hitting James' horse, taking the Scot King down.

Surrey and Herbert joined in the battle. James deployed his men for an all out attack, but that didn't break the English at all.

Both Meg and Catherine watched from afar. Both saw how capable Richard was in battle; that he alone had killed many Scots and not a scratch was on him. He was fast and skilled swordsman, even changing sword hands at will as if it was nothing.

The battle was fought long and hard. Many Scots began to retreat and the English moved forward. Angus and Stewart begged Meg to come with them, to retreat back to Scotland.

Meg couldn't see James anywhere. The mist had cleared out and bodies upon bodies scattered Flodden Hill.

Richard saw as the battleground cleared and the English raised their flags, declaring victory. He dropped to the ground, tired and out of breath.

Drew and Robyn helped him back to the camp, Herbert and Surrey not far behind. The physician examined Richard and concluded that his wounds weren't harmful or life threatening.

Herbert entered Richard's tent as Drew helped to rid the armours on Richard. Richard saw the grave look on Herbert's face.

"You might want to see this", said Herbert.

Richard arrived to the main tent to find the body of James IV of Scotland and Surrey boasting to the rest that he had killed the Scottish King. Catherine turned to Richard, who looked horrified at the condition of the body.

"I will send his clothes to the king, as proof that we have won!", said Catherine as the men cheered on.

"What about the body?", Richard asked.

"We take it back to London", said Surrey.

"What?", Richard looked at Surrey as if the old man had lost his mind.

"To show proof he's dead", said Catherine, justifying the act.

"If the French killed Henry and not returned his body, how would you feel?", Richard asked.

"Are you suggesting we return his body?", Surrey asked.

"He may be our enemy, but he is a king. He deserves a proper burial befits a king", said Richard, who knew what it felt like since his father didn't get such burial and he was a king.

"I doubt they would receive us, not after this", said Surrey.

"I will go and return it. You may take his clothes to show proof to our king, but the body goes back to Scotland".

"He tried to assassinate you, Ricardo. Why should we give him such honour?!", Catherine questioned him.

"Because my father didn't get that privilege and he was an anointed king. If it was Henry and he was denied a king's funeral, wouldn't you be angry?".

"We'll come with you", said Surrey.

"No, I will take only Herbert, Barnley and Robyn. We move tonight".