Our Last Goodbye

(Henri and Mary welcomes the future of England. Richard too welcomes a new baby, but at a high price)

EARLY SUMMER 1533

Mary woke up to find the bed wet and quickly woke her husband up. Hal Brandon and Henry FitzRoy ran off to find the midwife and physician while Henri went to find his parents.

Mary's ladies assisted the birth. Henri paced back and forth, anxious to meet his child.

Richard and Stafford had to pull the young prince to sit down with them. Stafford poured some wine while Richard told him of what to expect.

"These are all normal. Pray that they both will make it out alive", said Richard.

They waited one whole day. The labour was long and hard for Mary. Catherine had to call Henri in.

Henri was quick to be by Mary's side. She was pale and covered in sweat.

"I'm afraid, Henri".

Henri kissed her hand. "I'm here, my love. We'll do this together, Maria".

The child, a boy, arrived the next day. His cries were heard throughout the palace.

"My boy! Maria, it's a boy!", happy was an understatement for the two of them.

Mary quickly fed her son, who had thick lashes and dark hair. She kissed him over and over again.

"Our son, Henri. He's beautiful", Mary sobbed, happily.

Henri walked out and presented his son to his parents. "We have decided to name him Arthur".

Richard smiled and kissed the baby's hair. "He's beautiful, Henri. Congratulations".

Freja took her grandson in her arms and kissed his pink cheeks over and over again. She passed it over to Stafford and Catherine.

"Look, Catalina. We're grandparents now", Stafford smiled.

"He's beautiful, Eduardo", Catherine sobbed.

Prince Arthur Plantagenet was baptised three days later, with Hal Brandon and Henry FitzRoy as his godfathers while Mary was churched the same day. Both new parents never part with their son, loving each moment with him.

LATE SUMMER 1533

Richard woke up to find the other side empty. He sighed as he counted the days when Freja will be out of her confinement.

He got up and dressed himself. He walked out and frowned - who was singing at this early hour in the morning? He went to the garden to find Lizzie with Maggie, Celia and Sarah, walking about.

"Papa!", Lizzie ran to hug her father.

"Good morning, my dearest rose. What are you up to?".

"Picking flowers. Sissy is coming home, right?".

"Yes, your sister will come home soon", Richard took her hand and walked with her.

"Lizzie?".

"Yes, Papa?".

"Were you singing earlier?".

Lizzie shook her head. "It wasn't me".

Maggie and Sarah looked at each other. Oh no.