Family Forever

(Henry and Anne moments. Henry and Richard sit down and talk)

Henry woke up to find the other side empty. He got up and found Anne outside, with Bess.

"Papa!", Bess ran to him.

Henry picked her up and kissed her cheek. "You're up early".

"Play Papa", she grinned.

"She came to me early this morning. She wanted me to walk with her in the garden", Anne smiled.

Bess ran around with her nursemaid behind her. Henry plucked a rose from the bushes and handed it to Anne, who took it with her blush visible on her face.

"I know, I wasn't really much of a husband to you. I do hope we can begin anew and I will try my best to be a good husband to you".

"We have many years to come. I can't wait for that".

"There are times, I thought I was doing a great job at it. I never understand the devotion my brother had to his wife, but then I remembered my own parents. How my father went into seclusion after my mother died. I never understand it at first, but I will learn. For your sake and that of our daughter".

Anne smiled. "We will do it together, Henry. We can be happy, like the king and his queen".

"He won't speak to me", Henry referred to Richard.

"You can always try. Don't give up. I know he loves you", Anne kissed his hand.

Henry found his brother in the study. Around him were his two loyal companions - Drew Barnley and Robyn Smyth, Stafford, Catherine, Bessie, Herbert, Charlie and Mary.

Henry knocked and walked in. Richard sighed and dismissed everyone, but Drew and Robyn didn't budge at first.

"I'll be fine, you two. Go, it's ok", said Richard.

Drew and Robyn walked away, eyes glaring at the former Tudor king. They shut the door, leaving the brothers alone.

Henry stood there, as if he was a boy being sent to his father for misbehaving, while Richard continued to reply to letters. Henry noticed the grey hair that now dominated his brother's once dark curls.

"May I speak?", Henry asked.

"I didn't say you can't".

"I'm sorry".

"Your apology has been accepted", Richard said nonchalantly as he continued to write.

"Why won't you look at me?".

"Why should I?".

Henry sighed. "I know what I did. I know my apology can't bring your son back. What else do I need to do for you to forgive me?!".

"Simple...", Richard set his quilt down and finally looking up, "...I want my Harry back. I want my little brother back. That little shit that refused to let go of my leg or that loves to hide in my coffer whenever I have to leave. I want that boy back. I had hopes that you'd be a great king, but what do I see? Nothing than a mere puppet".

Henry went around and knelt by his older brother. "Richie, please. I can't live like this. I can't live knowing you hate me".

"I don't hate you, Henry. I just hate what you had became. You had such promise, but you wasted it away by letting men like Wolsey and Boleyn made the decisions for you".

Henry clutched his brother's leg. "Please, Richie. Please forgive me. I'm so sorry", he sobbed.

It took Richard back to the days he had wished to go back to. The time when Arthur was alive, England was at peace and the time his younger siblings were still living in Westminster.

Richard stood up and helped his brother to stand. He wiped the tears off of Henry's cheeks and smiled.

"Yes, I'm angry, but I was angry because I love you. You are my brother, now and always. Our family may be enemies, but our bond as brothers will be what keeps us together. I'm sorry for what I've done, but I had no choice. Do you understand me, Harry?".

Henry nodded and hugged Richard, breaking down in his brother's arms. Richard gently rubbed his brother's back, trying to hold back the tears himself.

Henry let him go and wiped his tears. "To be honest, I've always wanted you to be king. You're the better choice. Even father once said that if I don't change, he might as well legitimise you and put you on the throne. Lady grandmother was not happy with that", Henry chuckled.

"I never wanted to be king, but it needs to be done".

"Thank you, brother. Thank you", said Henry.

Henry Tudor lived long and happy life. Him and Anne only had Elizabeth, but he was happy to the end with them.

Henry repaired the relationship he had with Catherine and Mary, as well as Bessie and their son, Henry FitzRoy. He had lived to see the birth of his grandchildren, but he didn't live that long to see his oldest daughter crowned Queen of England.

On his deathbed, Richard stayed with him all the time. They spoke of the great times they had when they were young.

"How I wish we can go back to that time", Henry spoke, voice rasped from his dry throat.

"Hush, brother. Don't speak like that", said Richard.

"I miss that moment, Richie. I miss you carrying me around on your back, you pretending to be a horse. I miss the time I wanted an apple and you'd climb the tree for me".

"We can always dream about that", Richard gave a sad smile.

"I love you, Richie. You're the best big brother any one could ever asked for", said Henry.

Henry was the last of Richard's sibling to leave him. Meg had passed away a few years back in Scotland and Mary left a year after Meg.

Richard, despite his aging years, rode all the way to Scotland to say goodbye to Meg. He had met her granddaughter, Mary, the little girl who would soon be Queen of Scots.

When his sister Mary died, he went to Westhrope Hall. He managed to be there at the last minute before she died.

"Thank you for always looking out for me, my dearest brother".

Richard now counted the days when he can see them again.