Dinner at The Staffords

(Richard travels to Ludlow

PS: I don't wanna wait a couple days interval between chapters. I already wrote two more 🤣)

LATE MARCH 1502, FOTHERINGHAY CASTLE

Richard hadn't had proper sleep lately. Freja would often find him outside, by the well, at the stable or further towards the river.

Lizzie told Freja about the curse and Melusina on their last walk before she left court. Lizzie feared Melusina would be the death of her son.

"When Melusina sings, she warns Richard that someone close to him will die. Richard learned to tune her out, but he will always know", Lizzie once said.

Freja took Teddy and made sure he was properly clothed before taking him to the river. Richard was there, his curls were disheveled and he was shivering, as if he had been in the water all night. It didn't help that he had only his shift and thin pants only.

Little Teddy quickly ran to his papa with the blanket in his hands. Richard was startled when he felt the blanket on his shoulders.

"Papa, cold!", Teddy ran around him to wrap the blanket.

Richard pulled Teddy into his lap and wrapped the blanket properly around the two of them, making sure Teddy was warm. He held his only son close to him, kissing Teddy's hair and cheeks.

"No, Papa! Tickle!", Teddy giggled when Richard's stubble grazed his cheeks.

Freja sat next to them and Richard extended his arm to welcome her into the blanket cuddle. Richard kissed her sun coloured hair and held her close.

"Did you hear her sing again?", she asked, whispering almost.

"...Yes. I'm frightened. I don't want to lose you or Teddy", he said, sobbing.

"Papa, why you cry?", Teddy tilted his head.

Richard shook his head, smiling despite his tears. "It's nothing, Teddy. I'm fine".

"Let's go inside. We're heading out to Ludlow today, right?", said Freja.

Richard got up with Teddy in his arms. He wrapped the blanket around his son, making sure the morning cold in Fotheringhay will not affect Teddy's health.

Richard wore a dark burgundy tunic and dark pants and boots. Teddy's clothes were made to mirror his father and Freja wore a dark pink dress.

Teddy, Anne, Freja, Sarah, Hilda and Celia rode in the carriage while Robyn sat outside, guiding the horse to Ludlow. Richard, Drew, Herbert and Ralph rode side by side with the carriage.

Teddy opened the window to say hi to Richard. "Ride with Papa", he extended his tiny arms to his father.

Richard kissed Teddy's tiny fingers. "It's too cold, Teddy. I don't want you to get sick now. When it's spring, alright?".

Teddy pouted and batted his eyelashes, which Richard laughed, but didn't relented. "No, Teddy. It's too cold. When it's spring, we'll go riding together".

"Fine...", Teddy plopped back inside, crossing his arms and looking rather upset.

Freja took her son into her lap. She combed his hair and hugged him. "Mama, Papa meanie", Teddy complained to her.

Freja chuckled. "Why don't you play with Annie? It's still a long way to see your uncle in Ludlow", she suggested.

Teddy climbed down and went to sit with Anne to play. Freja turned to Richard, who looked rather pale on the dark colours.

She extended her arm, which he took her hand and kissed it. "Spring should be lovely this year", she rested her chin on the window beamed, her eyes lured him into seduction.

"Shall we make a little duchess next?", he chuckled.

"A beautiful duchess with your dark and mysterious eyes and my warm smile", Freja giggled.

"We can make that happen", Richard winked.

"For fuck sake, you two", Drew mumbled, rolling his eyes.

"Or perhaps, husband, we should find a bride for our dear Andrew. He seems jealous", Freja stifled a laugh.

"Good luck with that", Sarah shouted a bit to irritate her brother.

Richard smiled and laughed, for the first time in a while. "Yes, a wedding would be lovely, wouldn't it?".

"Aye, Your Grace. It would be", Ralph agreed.

"We should make it in the woods, like proper merry men", Robyn suggested.

"Oh yes, wines all round, dancing all night", Herbert chuckled.

"We don't have to make it grand, gentlemen", said Drew.

"What? Nonsense! I shall make it grand. You are my longest friend, more like a brother. We shall make it grand. The whole town of Bedford will celebrate. It's the least I can do", said Richard.

They made the longer journey to stop at Stafford's estate, where Stafford welcomed them with open arms. Teddy was the first to run to him, followed by Anne, where Stafford picked them up with ease and spun them around.

"Come, come. Rest your weary feet", Stafford welcomed them.

His servants took the horses into the stables. Richard and Stafford hugged each other before heading inside.

Stafford kissed Freja's hand, much to his wife's dismay. "I'm sorry for the cold weather. I was hoping for spring to come faster so you may see the beauty of it. Perhaps, your husband can lend his green thumb".

"If you pay me my worth, I may help you with your garden", Richard chuckled, shedding his riding cloak to hand it over to one of the servants.

"Your worth? What happen to family?", Stafford laughed.

"Husband, perhaps we should let our guests rest", Eleanor finally voiced out.

"My stewards will show to your rooms", Stafford ordered his stewards to take Richard and his family to their rooms.

The Staffords and the Plantagenets sat down in the main dining room. Stafford set his goblet down and wiped his mouth.

"Listen, I wish to speak to you later after dinner. Just the two of us", Stafford whispered.

Richard simply nodded. Both retired to Stafford's study after dinner. He poured Richard some wine before sitting down.

"His Grace the king told me of your matter..., about your stable master's death. I'm sorry to hear about it, but why didn't you announce it? Why didn't you tell anyone?".

"I don't want to spook the perpetrator".

"Are you close to finding out?".

Richard shook his head. "I do not know where to start. All I can do now is to make sure his children are well taken care off".

Stafford nodded. "Perhaps, marry the daughter off".

"She's only 14, Stafford. I will consent to it when I see it fit".

Stafford laughed. "You speak like an old man and you're what? 15?".

"17, this coming August", Richard sipped the wine.

"Young, yet dangerous", he raised his goblet to Richard.

"People are more terrified of me because I look like my father. It's as if I'm a walking ghost, coming back to haunt them".

"You are you, your father is himself. One person cannot be the other..., it's just weird".

"That's not what people keep telling me".

"Wouldn't it be great..., if we can do as we wish, marry whom we want? You're lucky, you know, you get to pick the love of your life".

"One of the advantages of being a bastard", Richard smirked.

"We are all bastards, Richard. There's no difference, doesn't matter if you are the son of a farmer or the son of a king".