Separation

NOVEMBER 1487:

Maggie had loved Richard as her own. The little boy of two was toddling his way to Teddy, Maggie's brother.

Henry Tudor had taken matters into his own hand and imprisoned Teddy to The Tower. She was worried that they would take young Richard to God knows where.

Teddy was clapping as Richard was laughing. She wiped her tears seeing them interact - wondering what will happen to her family? She missed the comfort of her Uncle Richard, who would, without a doubt, never treat them like this.

"Come on, Richie. Say Te-ddy", Teddy was teaching the toddler to say his name.

"He's too young, Teddy. He will learn when he's older", said Maggie.

"Eddy!", was the only word Richard could utter.

"Yay! He did it!", Teddy cheered.

But their happiness died when the guard knocked on the door, startling them. "Quiet in there!", yelled the guard who was keeping watch at them in The Tower.

Teddy quickly gathered Richard in his arms, feared of what they might do to him. Quickly, he tried to soothe the toddler before he burst into tears and wailing.

Later that night, Maggie cradled Richard as the toddler fast asleep. She gently combed through his thick hair that was dark and slightly curled. Maggie kissed his rosy cheeks and forehead, lovingly as a mother ought to her child.

Then, the door opened and in walked Henry Tudor. He saw the Earl of Warwick was fast asleep in his bed while Maggie was still up sitting, cradling Richard.

"May I speak with you? I know it's late", said Henry.

Maggie bowed before Henry and nodded as Henry sat on the foot of her bed. He held out his hands. Maggie hesitated at first, but relented and placed Richard in the king's arms.

Henry held Richard, only to remind him of his own son, Arthur. Arthur was privileged, born as a legitimate heir and had two loving parents. Richard had not the same privileges, despite he and Arthur shared the same mother. Had he lost in Bosworth, the boy in his hand would've been the next heir to the throne.

"I have found you a match", said Henry, eyes still locked on Richard.

"What about Richard?", asked Maggie.

Her heart beat faster when Henry was silent. She wanted to snatch Richard from the king, feared of what he might do to him. Will he kill him? Richard was just a baby.

Henry kissed Richard's forehead, like a father ought to his son, but he wasn't his own. He handed Richard back to Maggie, who kept him close.

"You may keep him with you", said Henry.

"What about Teddy?", she asked again.

"Teddy stays here..., for his safety", said Henry before he left.

*

Maggie handed Richard, reluctantly to a maid appointed by Henry, as she must prepared for her wedding. Children of Richard's age usually weren't allowed at weddings.

Lizzie looked around. Her mother wasn't there. She had hoped to get a glimpse of her son, but she knew it was a far fetched idea. Then, she saw her mother, but her young son was nowhere to be seen.

Maggie looked at her bridegroom - one of Henry's supporters, Sir Richard Pole. Maggie felt it was beneath her station as she was the daughter of Duke of Clarence, brother to two late kings, but she mustn't complain now.

Once they've married, Maggie went to fetch Richard, but when she arrived back to The Tower, only Teddy, who was asleep, and the maid were there. She frantically searched and finally, she questioned the maid.

"Where is he?! Where's Richard?!", Maggie asked, angrily.

"Lord Jasper Tudor came and took him", said the maid, looking down in fear.

Maggie's new husband came and calmed her down. He held her close as his new bride cried hysterically.

"It is for the better. We must focus on our own children soon", said Sir Richard.

Somewhere Else

Jasper passed a small wooden horse to the toddler in front of him. Richard took it and inspected the toy in his hands.

Margaret Beaufort came in, felt disdain towards the child in Jasper's care. He was, by definition, the only thing that stood in their way in order to ensure Tudor remained in power.

"What will you do with him?", asked Margaret Beaufort.

"I will educate him..., as I've educated Henry", said Jasper, eyes locked to Richard, who was oblivious to the adults in the room.

"He's our enemy!", said Margaret Beaufort.

"Is he, Margaret? Look at him. Is he a threat to you? Is this baby a threat to you?", asked Jasper.

"He may not be now, but he'll surely be someday!", said Margaret Beaufort.

"That's why I must teach him now, so he wouldn't be a threat to us", said Jasper.

Margaret Beaufort knew she cannot argue and she walked out. Jasper turned back to Richard, still playing with his new toy, but was yawning.

A knock was heard and the door was opened. A young woman, Alice, who was recently married to Jasper's new stable master, William Barnley, walked in.

"You asked to see me, my lord?", asked Alice.

"This is Richard. I trust you can keep him with you. Love and raise him as your own", said Jasper.

"What of his parents?", asked Alice.

"Dead and must never speak of it ever again. I will finance him whatever he needs. Not a word to anyone of who he is", said Jasper.

Alice curtsied to Jasper before taking the child. Richard was quick to settle in Alice's arms and fell asleep. Alice kissed his hair, pitying the child in her arms.