Letters to the King Part 2

(A/N: sorry, today I can only give you one chapter. I'll need to finish editing the next one before posting it.

Henry writes to Richard, his sisters, his daughter Mary and Catherine during the first five years of his imprisonment in Pembroke)

"Dear brother,

I will not submit to your will. When I get out of here, I will show you no mercy. I will have your head and those who support you and parade them to the people.

Henry R".

*

"Catherine,

Do you think it's a wise move? To marry that traitorous Stafford? Your children and him are nothing but bastards! They are just the same as my brother, nothing but bastards.

When I leave this place, you will pay for it dearly".

*

"Mary,

I've been told that you've been invested as Princess of Wales. I'm glad that you hold that position.

You must tell people that I'm innocent. Your uncle is the evil one. He's the usurper. You must tell them that I'm the rightful ruler.

Do this for me, your father".

*

"To the usurper,

You will see how many will rally to my side. I will have your head and those of your wife and children. I will make you watch as I hack their heads myself before I do the same to you. I will hang all those who rally with you, especially that blond bastard that tricked me into thinking he was you and that thief you keep close to you. Mark my words!".

Richard sighed as he handed the letter to Stafford. Richard knew about the letters Henry had sent to Catherine and Mary and he was particularly angry with the one Catherine got. In fact, he's gone numb after the first few hundreds of letters for the last few years since his ascension.

"We must double the security, Your Grace", said Stafford.

"I've already sent men there. I also instructed Lord Herbert to interrogate his staffs, to see if anyone is plotting with Henry", said Richard as he sat back on his throne and tapped the armrest.

"What about..., here?", asked Charlie.

"Don't worry, Brandon. I know what I'm doing".

"Well, I'm worried. He sends threats to my wife!", said Charlie.

"His words, dearest Charlie, are nothing but empty promises. He doesn't have anymore power and even if he does, we would be able to crush his forces in a short period of time", said Freja.

"I thought I was your dearest", Stafford winked.

"You're Catherine's now, cousin", Freja giggled.

Meg arrived in London with a small provision. She went straight to the council room, startling Richard and his inner circle.

"You told me he's locked up and won't be a threat!", Meg slammed the letter to the table.

The men all bowed to the king and his sister before leaving. Richard took the letter and read it.

"Margaret,

How dare you side with him?! You and him are no different. Traitors! You dare to betray me, your own brother! You side with the bastard!

When I have my crown, I will desimate Scotland. I will take the crown that's on your head and declare myself king! I will take your young children and you shall never see them again".

Richard sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "No one is plotting with him. I monitored his letters as closely as I can. Trust me, Lord Herbert doesn't need to send these letters to me, but he wanted me know what Henry is thinking".

"So he's not going to break out, kill you and then kill us all?".

Richard kissed her forehead. "Dearest Meg, no need to worry. I've crushed and snuffed all of his allies. They are either locked up or dead. He has no one but us".

"I'm just worried, Richie. If he kills you...".

"If he does that, our sister Mary will be the first to shoot an arrow to his heart", Richard chuckled, remembering his sister's threat to kill Henry if Richard dies by his hands.

"I would lay waste on him first".

"Don't, you have a priority now. I can manage, sister".

Meg hugged her dearest brother. "I know, I just don't want you to die just yet".

"I won't die for a very long time. I give you my word".

THAT EVENING

Richard walked to the garden to find his wife, his cousin Maggie and his sister Mary all sitting at the blanket, talking and laughing. Maggie and Mary got up and curtsied to him.

Richard sat down with them, popping a grape into his mouth. "So, what's the latest gossip?".

"We're just talking about our children", said Maggie.

"How are yours, Mary?", Richard asked.

"They are well, thank you for asking. They adored the horses you sent for Christmas".

"Speaking of children, I must go and make sure they will be ready for dinner", Maggie got up and kissed the king's temple before leaving.

"I should too. The boys hardly listen to their tutors unless I turn into a lioness first", Mary gave her brother a tight hug before leaving as well.

Richard drank his wine, but noticed his wife's stare. "Is there something wrong?", he asked.

She presented him with a stack of letters. "You ought to reply".

"If I reply, Henry won't stop pestering us all".

"I wasn't talking about Henry".

Richard sighed. "He didn't flinch when he saw you bleed. He didn't care that we lost our son that day".

"You can always forgive him".

"He's one of the reasons our son is dead".

Freja wiped her tear, thinking about her dear little Richard. "I know, but we can always forgive and forget, right? Your heart and soul will never rest if you don't".

Richard scooted closet and kissed her cheek. "I can forgive him. Not now, but I will never forget what he has done to us".