A Brother's Wrath

(Richard receives word from his wife, via letters, about their children..., and his sisters)

EARLY 1515

Richard sighed as he read the letter. He and the Scottish Lords were divided into small groups to avoid suspicion or any of Angus' loyalists spotting them.

"My love,

I've missed you. The days without you are the most difficult.

Our child in me makes me restless. Henri had a little cold, but he got better quick. Astrid calls out to you when she can't sleep and asks me when will you return.

Meg is restless as I am. She accused us of detaining her against her will. I fear the excitement might harm the child she carries.

She refuses to believe what Angus is doing. She said you're doing this because you refused to let her be happy, as a punishment for what she said to you. I don't think she can be reason with anymore.

Did you hear about Mary? Did you know the French king is dead and now, against your brother the king's wishes, Mary has wedded Charlie Brandon? Charlie was sent to get her back and somehow, they got married...".

Richard felt like his heart was about to stop and he might as well die right now. He continued reading, next to the small lantern.

"...Catherine had summoned me. Henry was so angry that it scared her. I had to plead to the king to spare them. Seeing my state, Henry told them that they are banished instead of executed and he incurred a massive fine to them.

Poor thing, the look on Charlie's face, I don't know how they're able to pay it off. Henry is sucking them dry, to teach them a lesson. I told them to come by to York whenever they feel like it. I know we're not a charity house, but I can't help but to feel sorry for them. They married out of love, as we did, as Meg had done.

Mary cried, but she said she was happy. She was happy she had followed her heart to marry her love. She didn't care much of her title, but I worry with the lack of money, what will they eat?

I'm lost, Richard. I need you home. Have you found him yet? Please find him fast. I can't take it anymore, with one sister's anger and the other's despair, I worry for our child in me.

Your heart and soul,
Freja".

Richard sighed and scratched his head. Albany grabbed a pitcher and poured more wine for Richard.

"Trouble?", Albany asked.

"I felt like I left one sister to tend to the other, that one decided to pull a stunt that nearly got her head cut off".

"What did she do?".

"She married a duke that's not even..., suitable for a princess' standard and her husband the French king just died".

"You seem to care, even when she said horrible things about you".

"God, I wish I don't. I wish things were simpler. It was for me..., until I was nine, I think, when they told me who I am".

"What was you first reaction?", Albany asked.

"I ran away. I hid in the cold stream and nearly died, they told me. I was angry. I hate it".

"But aren't you grateful that you have a successful career, lands and you're known throughout Europe", Albany chuckled.

"I've been in danger for being who I am. I fought to stay alive, losing many people whom I loved in the process. I fear for my children; what if I die when they can't protect themselves?".

"God has blessed you with longevity thus far, Gloucester. He has blessed you with children and it seems, according to rumour, it's not your father that killed the Princes. Your children thrive, while your brother is childless".

"I don't know who did it. No one does. My brother could still have children".

Albany chuckled. "That is yet to be determined".

Then, Stewart arrived with Robyn. "We found him", said Robyn.

"He's in Newark", said Stewart.

"I must say, your father's messenger systems will do Scotland good", Albany patted Richard's back.

They moved at dawn and arrived just as the servants got up to make breakfast. They dragged Angus out of his bed, despite by the pleas of his mistress, back to Edinburgh.

Richard sat next to Albany and Stewart while Angus stood in the middle of the court to be judged. Many lords condemned him for what he has done and some demanded his death.

"Should we?", Albany whispered.

"Don't, that's a dangerous move. For all we know, my sister can march in with an army just to get her husband and sons back", said Richard.

"But I thought you said she's under your guardianship by the order of your brother the king", said Albany.

"My brother can change his mind in a snap. We must tread carefully".

"Prison then?", Stewart suggested.

"A very tightly secured prison. No one talks to him, no one sees him, and no letters to him or his letters going out".

The sentenced was placed and Angus struggled as he was escorted. Richard stopped Hamilton and Arran so he could speak to him.

"My wife will have you killed!", Angus spat.

Richard chuckled. One swift punch to the gut and Angus fell on his knees, coughing out blood.

"Rot in hell", Richard spat back.

Arran and Hamilton dragged Angus away. His duty was done here and it was time for him to go back to his family.

Albany and Stewart thanked Richard for his help. They let him say goodbye to their young king.

Richard kissed James's hair and smiled. He turned to Albany.

"Take care of him".

Albany handed Richard the terms to be brought to his sister. "Until we meet again. Perhaps, on a peaceful term".

Richard thanked him. "Perhaps, if you do stop by in England, come and find me. We shall drink and feast".

Richard rode back home. He saw his wife, great with child. He saw his two children; Henri held back by Sarah while Astrid Katheryn was in Celia's arms.

Meg heard the hooves and went to the window, despite being with child. She saw her brother and a small army under the boar banner.

Richard felt his head spinning and his vision blurred. He tried his best to stay awake....

Drew caught Richard as he collapsed. Christian ran towards them to help Drew and Robyn to get Richard inside while ordering a physician to be brought forward.

Hilda had to calm Freja down while Sarah and Celia took care of the children. The physician had been brought and everyone waited.

LONDON

A messenger came running and burst through the doors, interrupting the king and queen's discussion. Henry would've struck the poor man, had the man didn't mention Richard's name.

The messenger shakily handed the missive, signed by Freja, that was stained with ink blot and tears. Henry's anger subsided and he almost passed out.

He turned to Catherine and hugged her. Catherine was confused and took the letter.

"Oh no, Ricardo", she gasped.

Henry turned to the messenger. "Find Stafford and Surrey. Tell him to ready our provisions to march to York".

The messenger quickly left. Wolsey picked up the letter and sighed.

"I'm sure it's nothing, Your Grace. Your brother seems healthy and-", Wolsey was cut off by Henry.

"I don't care! I have to see him. Come, Catherine, we must get ready to move out".