Announcement

(Richard teaches Harry during council meetings. The king announces a betrothal)

MARCH 1503

Richard woke up and walked over to William's crib. He sat down, watching his son's chest rise and fall, afraid if anything happens.

Freja woke up and found her husband by their son's crib. She got up and tugged him.

"He's fine. Stop worrying".

It was still early and it was cold, but not as cold as the height of winter. Richard started the fire and made sure it was enough to warm the room before joining Freja in bed.

When it was time to get up, Richard dressed himself in his shift and pants before letting the ladies in to help Freja dressed up. Richard walked out to get ready himself.

Richard was still wearing mourning colours. He slid on his boots and placed his chains around his shoulders.

Freja walked out, wearing a dark crimson gown, lined with sable and her hair braided and pulled back into a bun. She wore the pearls that Richard had given her as a wedding gift.

"What's the agenda today?", Freja took the brush and ran it amongst her husband's curls.

"I'm taking Harry to council meetings. He needs to learn".

"I'd like to rest. I don't feel like going out".

Richard turned to his old friend. "Drew, make sure nothing happens to them".

Drew nodded. "Consider it done".

"Don't forget about tonight. The king insisted we dine with him. He even invited Catherine too".

Richard frowned, but shrugged it off. He kissed his wife goodbye before putting on his cap and headed out.

The king wanted the couple to sit and dine together privately with the royal family. He wanted to announce something and wanted everyone there with him.

Since Lizzie's death, Henry had retreated himself, grieving the loss of his wife and daughter. Richard took precedence over the meetings with the privy councils and noble lords, all the while Harry sat next to him.

"Now, this may seem intimidating, but do not worry. In the end, when you are king, it is you who must decide and these men will have no choice, but to abide by it", Richard whispered.

"My first decree is that you have to stop wearing black", Harry chuckled.

"I look good in black and most of my clothes are dark coloured".

"When I'm king, you have no choice", Harry grinned.

Richard shook his head, chuckling. Both resumed focus to the meeting. Richard would ask Harry for his opinions every now and then, making sure he is included and his opinions mattered.

Richard spent the afternoon teaching Harry how to keep his weapons cleaned. Harry was at awed of all his brother's collection of daggers and the new lighter sword that they called rapier.

"I've heard of this", Harry took the rapier and examined it.

Harry held it and was surprised at how light it is. He noticed the boar and rose carved on its handle.

"How do you use it?", Harry asked.

"I'm still learning. Now, focus".

"Why do I need to learn all these? When I'm king, I'll have people to do these for me".

"You want to know why?".

Harry nodded, pulling a stool to sit in front of his brother. Richard picked up one, the one Harry knew his brother carried all the time.