Repent

(A/N: never mind about what I said last chapter 😅😅😅

Henry slowly accepts his fate)

Herbert was out the door when the priest came out. He escorted the priest away from the tower that held the previous King of England.

"How is he?", Herbert asked.

"I'm surprised, my lord. His Grace seems..., calm now. I don't know if this is because of his wife, Lady Anne...".

"...Or it could be a façade", Herbert theorised.

The first few months under his care, Henry was volatile and violent. Herbert had kept him and Anne separate for her safety.

Henry would make a mess, refusing to eat and swore up and down that he will have them all killed. His one and only son was deathly scared of him.

Herbert and Bessie would sit down and discussed on what to do. Bessie knew there was no reasoning with Henry, but he must accept his defeat.

"Perhaps we should send my son away", she said.

"Henry FitzRoy doesn't need to be sent away. He's safe here and so are you".

"What if...", Bessie sighed.

Herbert kissed her hands. "He won't. Richard has made sure of it. We've crushed every last one of the Tudor loyalists. They wouldn't dare to oppose Richard now".

"I have faith in him. I'm just considering all possibilities".

"Ease your heart, my dearest Bess. You and your son will be safe here".

The first year was the hardest. Henry refused to repent. He still claimed to be the king and most of Herbert's staffs were afraid of him.

The first year, Anne was kept separate. There were times she tried to see him, but Henry refused to see anyone.

Anne knew she had to be strong for her family. She was allowed to exchange letters with her brother, who resided in The Tower, but because of her willingness to comply, George's living condition was much better than anticipated.

"The king has given me one of the royal apartments. I'm allowed to take walks every morning and evening. Perhaps, father was mistaken. He treats people with upmost care and I do hope your situation improves. Write to him, Anne. He can be considerate", George once wrote to her.

The second and third year were no different. Anne didn't consummate her marriage until the end of the fourth year, where she had enough.

Anne marched towards Henry's room, despite Bessie pleading her not to. Anne pushed the door opened to confront her husband.

"You need to stop this immediately!", Anne said, sternly.

"Who are you to speak to me like this? I'm the king!", Henry yelled.

The slap came unexpectedly. "You are no more than a child! Why do you behave as such? I'm fighting for my family and you're doing nothing to help! If your brother hadn't taken the throne, this country would've been ruined by you and my father! Many people, even us, would've been dead! Have you have no care of the people around you? Your son is afraid of you. To him, you are no more than a monster!".

For the first time, Henry didn't fight back. He looked dumbfounded at the woman who was his wife.

"I...", Henry was speechless.

"Why can't you accept defeat? Your brother is no usurper. He saved this country from you. He wanted what's best for his country, unlike what you're doing. True, you were great, but that was at the beginning. You were even willing to set your wife aside, who was so devoted to you and not even thinking of her own self. You're angry, I understand, but there's nothing you can do about it now. Please, stop", Anne wanted to cry so bad.

Bessie gently pulled Anne out of the room. She took Anne back to her room and let her cry as much as she wants.

Henry FitzRoy came into the room and gave Anne a sprig of rosemary. "Please don't be sad", he said.

"Thank you, Henry", Bessie smiled.

"I know my father is scary, but you're strong, aren't you? You would've run like the servants if you weren't strong enough to face him".

"Sometimes, I don't want to be strong. I'm tired of doing that for my family", said Anne.

"There were times I was in that state too, but like me, you have us to guide you. We are strong as one and I believe, Henry can return back to the light", said Bessie.

"How did you do it? How did you cope after he left you?".

"The king and queen took me in. They helped me to care for my son when I was too crushed to even care for myself. They helped me back up to my feet and here I am, Countess of Pembroke".

"I was so scared that the king would kill my father and brother. I was so scared that if I have children, they would be taken away too".

"The king said that and he means every word, but he's not cruel. He's very considerate, Anne. Look at the way he treats your brother. He even let your father lives, albeit his imprisonment in Hever. He's not cruel, but he knows what's at stake".

"How can I ever repay his kindness?", Anne wiped her tears away.

"Simple, we can only serve him and be loyal to him", said Henry FitzRoy.

LONDON

When word got to Westminster, Richard tried his best not to laugh. "I knew she would be good for him".

"She slapped him?", Charlie chuckled as he read the letter Herbert had sent.

Norfolk was afraid at first, but seeing the king's reaction, he was relieved. He was glad the king was amused by this.

PEMBROKE

Henry had began to calm down. Perhaps, the slap from his wife was much needed.

He had began to listen to the priest and prayed fervently day and night. It felt hard, but Henry had soften down and the servants were no longer afraid of him.

Anne went to see Henry. The room had been cleaned up and Henry was sitting by the fire.

He got up and smiled. Anne could see her husband had cleaned up and made himself presentable. Anne curtsied and Henry asked her to sit with him.

"I'm sorry for hitting you. I was angry", she started.

"I should apologise too. I guess..., that woke me up and I needed that".

"You have to understand, Your Grace. My family is at stake and I will do whatever I must to keep them safe".

"I'm..., sorry. I never understood what that means because..., all my life, Richard had been doing that for me. He had gone to protect my family and..., I guess, that's what he's doing".

"You have to understand his intention. He saw what you've become and he had to do something".

"I wrote to him but he never replies. Who would reply to a child's threat?", Henry chuckled.

Anne knelt before her husband and placed her hand on top of his own. "You were a great king, there was no doubt to it, but your brother did what he had to do to prevent men like my father from ruining the country. You're not evil, Henry. You just need guidance back to who your family used to know".

Henry broke down in her arms. Anne gently held him, rubbing his back.

"May I attend to your bed tonight?", she asked.