Friction

(A/N: if I want to make CatherinexStafford to happen, what to do with Stafford's wife, Lady Eleanor Percy?

A/N 2: we passed 900 votes 🥳

Richard vs Maggie. Richard hates More for the draft that Ursula had given him before, but soon, More will turn into his ally during someone's great matter)

SUMMER 1516

Richard sat under the tree, watching his two children playing about with their mother and the Pole children. He looked down to see Ragnar lifting his head and smiling.

"Hello, Ragnar", Richard smiled back.

Ragnar got stronger with each day passing. Freja got less worried and boasted how her youngest would one day be a warrior worthy of his name.

Ragnar plopped his head back down. Richard pulled him up and raised him high. Ragnar smiled, kicking happily.

Richard set his son back to his chest and held him close. "I love you, Ragnar. My son, my brave little boy. One day, you'll be the bravest of them all. I love you so much and I hope you never forget that".

Maggie joined in and sat next to Richard. Ragnar smiled as Maggie tickled his nose. Maggie picked him up and cradled the boy in her arms.

"It feels so long that I have a baby in my arms", she said.

"You're the princess' governess", Richard raised his brow.

"...It does not feel the same. Not like yours".

"Are you still angry with my mother?".

Maggie sighed. "It's not that, Richard. I do not know how to explain, but holding her is my duty. Holding your children..., that's different".

"Love and duty are two different things and cannot be mixed together. Love is the death of duty and duty is the death of love. We can't choose both".

"But you did", Maggie smiled.

"It's very rare for such thing to happen".

"May I interrupt?", Thomas More appeared.

Richard silently groaned. He got up and plucked his son from Maggie's grasps before joining his wife and children.

"I'm sorry if you are offended, Master More", Maggie dusted the leaves off of her skirt.

More chuckled and smiled. "I understand, Lady Pole. If I may ask, would you like to walk with me?".

"You may not!", Richard yelled.

Maggie could only smile. "Forgive him, Master More. My cousin is very protective", she said as she took his arm.

"It is understandable, Maggie. You and him have gone through a lot".

Both walked in the garden, passed the many coloured and varietied flowers that adorned the palace ground. Both sat by the fountain, watching the birds flying about.

"It's such a lovely day", More commented.

"Oh yes, I agree. It's a lovely time to run about and have the time of your life", Maggie smiled.

"Maggie, as your friend, I just want to share my concern".

"Concern?".

More looked around, making sure they were alone. "It is such a dangerous time. With the king and queen arguing about the continuation of the Tudor line, there are rumours of an uprising, supposedly led by Lord Gloucester".

Maggie chuckled and frowned. "No, Richard would never do that. He loves the king".

"There is no doubt to it. I fear this is one of the schemes to get rid of his influence in court".

"By whom?".

"If I'm not mistaken..., Sir Thomas Boleyn".

Maggie frowned even more. "But they are friends, Master More".

"I fear that the friendship was only a stepping stone for Boleyn to get to where he is right now".

"No wonder he seems quite distant from Richard. They were closed once. It is sad to know this is how it would end".

"I know His Grace is..., not fond of me, but I'm telling you this because I care for you, Maggie. I fear, if His Grace is to be dragged down, you would go down with him too".

"I don't understand why he would not like you".

"Perhaps you should ask him of his manuscript", Richard appeared, startling the pair from behind.

"Richard, I...-", More stuttered.

"Richard?", he cut the scholar off, "I did not give you any permission to use my name. I am Your Grace to you, Master More".

"Perhaps, Richard, if you read his work, you might like it", Maggie defended More.

"I wasn't talking about Utopia, Maggie, although I commend him for such work".

"There's another manuscript?", Maggie turned to More, who looked as if his soul just flew off his body.

"The one thing I learned from Margaret Beaufort was to have eyes and ears everywhere. Did you not tell her, More? Your missing draft that you would publish, slandering my father's good name into the mud".

"I'm sure it's a misunderstanding, Richard", Maggie shook her head in disbelief but when she noted on More's silence, her heart sank into the stomach.

"Is it true?", she asked.

"...Yes, Maggie".

"And here you are, with a man that's about to tarnish the reputation of a great king from a great dynasty", Richard softly chuckled before he walked away.

"Maggie, you have to understand. We don't live in a Plantagenet court".

"But does it give you the right to do so? Were you there, Master More? Were you there when they slain my uncle? Do you know him as I did?".

More looked down in silence. "I thought so. If you excuse me, Master More".

Maggie picked up her skirt and walked away. She was not that much angry of More, but rather to her cousin. She caught up with Richard, who was leisurely walking towards his family.

"Are you happy to ruin my happiness? Just as your mother did?", she asked.

Richard turned and for a moment, Maggie forgot that her uncle was dead. Richard tilted his head and frowned.

"He's married, Maggie. Between him and Compton, I rather be an honest woman than a mistress".

Maggie chuckled. "You make it sound as if you've never done anything wrong in your life!".

"What are you implying, cousin?".

The Gloucesters and Poles stopped what they were doing when they heard Maggie raised her voice. Ursula was especially afraid if this could affect her marriage prospect, though she had doubts since her dear uncle had given her his promise.

"I just want to be happy, Richard. Is that too much to ask?", Maggie softened up.

"Not him, Maggie. He's married. If a marriage prospect is what you're looking for, I'd be happy to sit down and talk to Henry".

"He chose Compton to shame me, Richard. Can't you see that?".

"Fine, anyone but Compton..., and More".

"You are so full of yourself", Maggie rolled her eyes and walked away.

"I'm trying to keep our family together and you're not helping with your attitude, Maggie".

"Last time you tried, my brother ended up dead", Maggie's words silenced Richard and stopped him at his tracks.

Maggie walked away as Ursula and her brothers chased after her. Freja ran to her husband, whose face etched in pain and sorrow. She didn't have any words to comfort him, merely rubbing his back and helped him to sit down.