Fire

(By now, I'm no longer following the TWP's timeline. I'm so sorry. I've tried my best to stick to the show's timeline as best as I can, but at this point..., it's not)

LATE 1497:

Richard and Teddy were playing some games when Lizzie walked in. Teddy greeted his cousin with a big hug, but not, Richard.

"Richard, would you walk with me?", Lizzie asked, smiling as always.

Richard became distrust of her, but Warbeck nudged him to go along. Richard quietly followed his Lady Mother and trailing behind them were Warbeck and Teddy.

Teddy and Warbeck, heavily guarded, walked about the Tower. Lizzie and Richard walked a few paces in front of them.

"I'm sorry for what had happened", she began.

"I was careful. I just want to know how my brother is", said Richard.

"Margaret has her ways. I've been pleading to the king for him to show mercy to you", said Lizzie.

"Don't, Lady Mother. It's not worth it", said Richard.

"I'm your mother and I won't let them hurt you, Richard. Your brothers and sisters asked about you often. They miss you", said Lizzie.

"But unless I'm dead, Spain won't help you, will they?".

"Richard...", Lizzie tried her best to stay strong.

"That's the plan, isn't it? To have me executed, so England is secured of an alliance? I don't mind that, Lady Mother, but please, let Teddy go. He hasn't done anything wrong!", said Richard.

Lizzie swallowed a huge lump as she halted her steps. She couldn't even face her son without him reminding her of the old king.

"I beg you, Lady Mother. I'm not asking for anything. I've never asked for anything from you, not even your love. I'm willing to die if that is what it takes to keep my family safe", said Richard.

"Oh, Richard. You reminded me so much of your father and mine. Your bravery and valiance; you are a York. I cannot promise you on anything about Teddy", said Lizzie.

"Then, I do not trust you to hold your words", said Richard before he walked off, leaving Lizzie behind.

Teddy ran after Richard, thinking it was a game. Warbeck walked towards the queen.

"He is a York through and through. I can see in the future..., how many will stand behind him and not Tudor", said Warbeck.

"Margaret will never let that happen", said Lizzie.

"Don't worry, sister. I'm sure you won't do it. You don't have the guts to do it", said Warbeck before catching up with Teddy and Richard.

Before leaving, Lizzie asked to speak with her son. She knew he was angry with her.

"I love you, Richard, with all my heart. You are my first born. You are a part of me and there will not be a second in my life when I'm not thinking about you. I will try my best to plead for your release, but I cannot promise anything".

Richard nodded, eyes not meeting his birth mother. For once, Lizzie kissed his hair and held him in his arms; an affection that was rarely given to him.

Lizzie returned to her children, who had been awaiting to hear the news of their brother. Arthur refused to leave to Wales without Richard.

"You need not to worry about your brother. He's doing alright", said Lizzie.

"Will you tell father to let him go? He will never betray us, lady mother. I know it", said Arthur with confidence.

Lizzie smiled and nodded before sending them off to their lessons. As she watched her daughters, Lizzie began to ponder.

What if Warbeck was really Richard, her brother? Her brother who has returned to reclaim his rightful place?

If he truly was Lizzie's brother, what will happen to her husband and children? Perhaps, if Warbeck was kind enough to spare the children, but what of Henry?

What of Richard, her son? Her heart began to feel uneasy. If they kill him, then her mother's curse....

No! Not her precious Arthur! She must do something! He has to leave England and never return, but will he leave? Who in their right mind to just leave their rights to a usurper?

What of Richard then? Will Henry forgive him? Will he live long enough to be able to be happy? Have a family? Will he be allowed to have one?

"Lady Mother?", Margaret's voice broke Lizzie's train of thought.

"Yes, my dear?", Lizzie smiled.

"When I get married, I want Richie to be there. Please lady mother, I know he has done nothing wrong. He loves you and father. He always tell us to pray for you and father", said Margaret.

Lizzie nodded. "I will speak to your father. Don't you worry".

Henry was behind the door, peering through the ajar opening as he listened to what his first born daughter had said. Apart of him felt guilty putting Richard in there, but he had no choice.

William was stacking the hays when Maggie quickly hid in the stables. William set the hays down and wiped his hands on his shirt.

"The queen asked me to hand this to you. Burn it after you read it", said Maggie before she stealthily left the stables.

William read it. Lizzie is planning to set fire in The Tower, so Warbeck and his wife and son can escape.

"During that time, I implored you, good sir, take my son and cousin with you. Take them as far away as you can. Tell Richard, I love him. He is my life. I wish for him to be with me always, but it is dangerous for him to still be in England. I will be forever in your debt, Mr. Barnley".

THAT NIGHT

William had instructed Drew and his sister to await him at the docks. Edward had secured a ship for their escape.

They spotted the queen with a couple of oil lamps in her hands. They didn't buy it at first, but it seemed her words are true.

"You really think this is not a trap?", asked Edward.

"Only one way to find out", said William.

Richard was awaken by an instinct. He quickly roused Warbeck, telling him to be alerted.

Smoke slowly began to engulf the room. Richard shook Teddy awake in order for them to escape.

The door was kicked down and it was William! He and another man took Richard and Teddy and they made a run for it.

Richard turned around for a second and saw his mother. Lizzie had a relieved look on her face. Was this her idea?

"Where's Warbeck?", Richard asked.

"Never mind him! We need to get you to safety!", said William.

They all jumped into a wagon, hooked on Pepper and William quickly hit the rein. Pepper was fast to escape and headed towards the port.

Richard turned to see soldiers behind them. Pepper was fast, but the soldiers were just as fast.

Something unexpected happened. Someone threw something, knocking one of the soldiers to the ground.

Civilians walked out of their homes, ready to defend Richard and Teddy. The soldiers dismounted their horses, trying to fight back the people, but they were outnumbered.

"LONG LIVE OUR YORK KING!!", they chanted.

Upon arrival, they unhooked Pepper from the wagon and took her onboard. The man, who introduced himself as Edward, quickly untie the rope and quickly set sail.