The Plague

(Richard sends his family away from court. Maggie and Ursula argue)

1517

Richard sighed as he listened to the report - The Sweat has returned to London. He gave out orders for everyone to stay inside while he figured out a plan of evacuation.

"I will be heading out to Hampton", said Henry.

"I'm sending my family to York", said Richard.

"You can send them off and join me at Hampton".

Richard frowned. "What about the people? We can't just leave them dying, Henry".

"This is The Sweat, brother. People will die and there's nothing you could do about it".

"I will stay. You take Catherine and Mary and go to Hampton without me".

"I can't just leave you!", Henry argued.

"Henry, don't start it. You go, I will stay. I'm indispensable, you are not".

"Not to me!".

"Harry, please. I will be fine", Richard sighed.

Richard sent the royal family off. He turned to see the sad faces of his children.

"Papa, come with us", Henri pouted.

"I can't, Henri. Papa has a duty and Papa can't leave these poor people unattended".

"Papa, will you write?", asked Astrid Katheryn.

"Yes, my dearest daisy. I will write", he smiled.

Richard kissed their forehead and got up to kiss his wife and son. He rested his forehead against hers.

"Be careful..., I can't lose you", Freja sniffled.

"I will try. Take care of them".

Herbert had come, on Richard's request, to take Freja and the children off to York. Richard turned to Robyn with a couple letters.

"Send first to my sister in Suffolk, then to my aunt in Burgundy. After that, head straight to York", said Richard.

"Wait, what about you?", Robyn asked.

"Never mind me, do not come here until I tell you too".

"You expect me to leave you here on your own?!".

"Robyn Smyth of Leicester, you do as I ask of you. You have a son now. He needs you more than I do".

"Rich...".

"Robyn, please. Just do as I ask of you".

Robyn sighed. "You will call for me, right?".

Richard nodded. "Tell Drew do not come to London, until I send word that The Sweat is gone".

Robyn reluctantly got on his horse. He took one look at Richard, the man who had saved him from punishment when he was young and took him in, and he rode away from London.

Richard and the remaining physicians knew that once someone caught The Sweat, he or she will have at least a day to live. All they can do was to ease the pain of the infected person and hoped they don't suffer too much as they passed onto the next life.

Richard would pray with the priests as they buried the dead. He would go around London, distributing food and making sure everyone was well cared for.

He would roam the empty Westminster Palace in the evening. Some of the palace staff had caught it and he made sure they were taken care of.

One day, he spotted Ursula and Maggie, arguing. He was taken aback when Maggie struck her own daughter.