Journey to Scotland

(Richard speaks with Catherine before he leaves for Scotland. Enter the infamous Sir Thomas Boleyn.

A/N: historically, Henry VII accompanied Meg to Scotland, but in the show, he didn't. I'm sticking to the show because who's gonna rule if there's no one, right?)

AUGUST 1503

Richard was ready, in his dark green tunic and black riding habits when he spotted Sir Thomas Boleyn coming at him. Both bowed before the older man spoke.

"The princess is waiting for the prince. Your Grace, can you just tell her to..., give up this fantasy that she'll be marrying the prince?".

Richard sighed. "Trust me, the more I say, the more she refuses to listen. These Spaniards are stubborn".

"I feel sorry for her. Surely, there's something can be done. I have daughters, Your Grace and seeing her, stranded here..., you have to do something. Look at her". (side note: I know in shows, he's always depicted as this ambitious and cold hearted guy, but I'm gonna cut him some slack in this chapter)

Richard turned to see a disappointed Catherine. He didn't tell her that Harry had left for Richmond early in the morning.

"Why must it be me?", Richard sighed.

"Because he was your brother's wife".

"Was".

"Oh, come on, Your Grace. You have a soft spot for your siblings", Sir Thomas smiled.

Richard looked up to the beautiful sky. "Family..., what we wouldn't do for them?".

"Come, we'll be late", Sir Thomas beckoned.

"You go first, Sir Thomas. I wish to speak to her".

Richard approached Catherine. "Your Highness, please. Return to your rooms".

"Lord Gloucester, I feel so disgraced. I have no money to my name and I am alone here", Catherine composed herself, despite the tears in her eyes.

Richard sighed. "Your Highness, things like these take time. My brother is only 12. If I could speed things up, I would, but alas, I'm only human".

"If you leave, they will turn me out. The king has already disbanded my household. I only have Rosa, Lina and Oviedo. I am ashamed of my situation".

"I leave the Barnleys with you, as well as Lord Saleby. Should they turn you out, those three will take you all to my wife in Bedford".

"If I leave, they will marry Harry to another. I heard he's to be betrothed to my niece, Eleanor".

"It is not confirmed yet. I would know if it is. You must be patient, Your Highness. Have faith. It's the only assurance I can give you".

(fun fact: Eleanor's father, Philip of Burgundy is the step grandson of Margaret of York, who is Richard's aunt. Richard would know since he's in contact with her under the guise of communicating as families)

Catherine grasped his gloved hands. "Arthur would be smiling in Heaven. You are kind and it's a rare to find a soul as kind as you", she smiled.

Richard returned it with his own. Catherine can see the handsome prince that Freja had fallen in love with. She picked up her skirt and walked away.

Out front, horses upon horses lined up. Richard held William while Freja entered the carriage. He passed his sleeping son before helping Hilda and Celia in.